Kangertech NEBOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

olds97_lss

Feb 15, 2016
Dekalb, IL
Anyone else have this thing? A buddy of mine at work has a smaller joytech (I think) one that has the battery built in. I liked how compact it was. However, after having the subtank mini, I really liked not having to buy coil heads and use the rba deck instead.

I was having a difficult time getting the subtank mini to not pop and spit when I fired it up. As I was waiting for the nebox to be delivered, I fussed with the wick and coil a lot and found that a really tight (I mean coil deforming) wick gave the most consistent vape with no popping. I'd make about a 2mm ID coil (7 wraps of 26awg kenthal), take 7mm wide piece of cotton sheet and twist the end tight enough to get it started in the coil, then hold the end of the coil with my thumbnail while pulling the cotton through it. I'd hold the coil with my nail on each side and pull the cotton in both directions so it wasn't so tight. Then I nip the ends leaving about 10mm on each side, and fluff it up. This seemed to work really well and continues to work well in the nebox. No leaking, plenty of vape, zero popping.

I never bought a ohm reader. My ohm meter won't go low enough to measure sub-ohm. The eLeaf 100W battery shows my coil at .98ohm whereas the same coil in the nebox shows .65-.68 ohm. In the eLeaf, I'd run around 18.5-20 watts and be able to vape all day without bad flavor or burning the coil. Much more than 20 and the cotton would burn. With the nebox, I run it at 13.5W. Even at 14W, it hints at burning on me. The vape out of the nebox is much cooler as well, which I like. The pipe from the coil is 3 times as long as it is in the subtank. I get as much vape out of it as I did the sub-tank, perhaps more, since I can take a longer hit without the vape getting hot.

I didn't bother using the coil head that came with it. It has holes in the side of the barrol whereas the one with the STM just has notches in the base for the juice to flow in. After grinding those out a bit, it works just fine, so I figured why bother with the new head. I also didn't try the premade coils/heads that came with it. I tried those (or similar ones) with the STM and didn't care for them. Spit too much and as pricey as they were, wasn't worth the hassle.

The nebox tank is tough to clean though, or at least not as safe. ALso, I've read that it's plastic, so I'll have to avoid tank breaker juice. The fact that it holds 10ml is pretty nice. I fill it up every couple of days and charge it at night. I run 18mg nic, so I'm not taking a drag on it all the time. I still kind of treat it like smoking in that regard. Will be nice for summer as it will fit in the back pocket more easily than the 100W batter and STM. I still use the STM and 100W battery when I clean/build a coil and load it with wick. Then I screw it into the nebox base and pre-juice it.

Now if I could find some juice I liked... I've probably spent $150 on juice in the past 2 months trying to find a flavor I didn't throw away or a hit so dry that it made me choke. I can't taste strawberry anymore, but it's all I have at the moment.

Last edited:

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Anyone else have this thing? A buddy of mine at work has a smaller joytech (I think) one that has the battery built in. I liked how compact it was. However, after having the subtank mini, I really liked not having to buy coil heads and use the rba deck instead.

I was having a difficult time getting the subtank mini to not pop and spit when I fired it up. As I was waiting for the nebox to be delivered, I fussed with the wick and coil a lot and found that a really tight (I mean coil deforming) wick gave the most consistent vape with no popping. I'd make about a 2mm ID coil (7 wraps of 26awg), take 7mm wide piece of cotton sheet and twist the end tight enough to get it started in the coil, then hold the end of the coil with my thumbnail while pulling the cotton through it. I'd hold the coil with my nail on each side and pull the cotton in both directions so it wasn't so tight. Then I nip the ends leaving about 10mm on each side, and fluff it up. This seemed to work really well and continues to work well in the nebox. No leaking, plenty of vape, zero popping.

I never bought a ohm reader. My ohm meter won't go low enough to measure sub-ohm. The iLeaf 100W battery shows my coil at .98ohm whereas the same coil in the nebox shows .65-.68 ohm. In the iLeaf, I'd run around 18.5-20 watts and be able to vape all day without bad flavor or burning the coil. Much more than 20 and the cotton would burn. With the nebox, I run it at 13.5W. Even at 14W, it hints at burning on me. The vape out of the nebox is much cooler as well, which I like. The pipe from the coil is 3 times as long as it is in the subtank. I get as much vape out of it as I did the sub-tank, perhaps more, since I can take a longer hit without the vape getting hot.

I didn't bother using the coil head that came with it. It has holes in the side of the barrol whereas the one with the STM just has notches in the base for the juice to flow in. After grinding those out a bit, it works just fine, so I figured why bother with the new head. I also didn't try the premade coils/heads that came with it. I tried those (or similar ones) with the STM and didn't care for them. Spit too much and as pricey as they were, wasn't worth the hassle.

The nebox tank is tough to clean though, or at least not as safe. ALso, I've read that it's plastic, so I'll have to avoid tank breaker juice. The fact that it holds 10ml is pretty nice. I fill it up every couple of days and charge it at night. I run 18mg nic, so I'm not taking a drag on it all the time. I still kind of treat it like smoking in that regard. Will be nice for summer as it will fit in the back pocket more easily than the 100W batter and STM. I still use the STM and 100W battery when I clean/build a coil and load it with wick. Then I screw it into the nebox base and pre-juice it.

Now if I could find some juice I liked... I've probably spent $150 on juice in the past 2 months trying to find a flavor I didn't throw away or a hit so dry that it made me choke. I can't taste strawberry anymore, but it's all I have at the moment.

There's a long thread hidden away in temp control. Worth looking through it.

KangerTech NEBOX

In short- I don't recommend it. Nice unit, except that it leaks for most. Well known as the Leakbox. Tons of other issues as you mentioned. Hopefully version 2 will be a good time to buy. But wait for some reviews and definitely research first.

People are talking about the Aspire Plato which is similar. Can be found here. Worth looking into since it's similar:

Aspire Has just released the new Plato Mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread