Kanthal goes bad ??? (Horrible burnt taste)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annon011

Jul 22, 2017
Up until yesterday I used a 100 ft Kanthal that I bought like 4 or 5 years ago. In the past few months the taste I was getting a lot of times was outright HORRIBLE and I mean making you feel sick horrible. It tasted like inhaling the smoke from a chimney.

I opened my rba multiple times just to find out the cotton was perfectly saturated and everything was perfectly clean. The coil prior to adding cotton was always evenly lighting up and all so I just couldn't figure out what the deal was.

A few days ago I bought new kanthal and yesterday I built a new coil. As of right now, that ridicously awful taste is completely gone which leads me to the only conclusion that after a few years pass kanthal goes bad.

Can anyone confirm this ?

*** Actually the kanthal I was using was probably even older. I bought about 5 years and who knows how long it had stayed at the store and how long since it was first put together, so we may be looking at about 6 years

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
My spools dont sit for that long, so never tried 5 year old kanthal, but I just dont see it going bad just sitting in a normal environment. I really dont know for sure, but perhaps something got on the spool? Or that part of the spool was defective from the start...haven't heard of this before

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Up until yesterday I used a 100 ft Kanthal that I bought like 4 or 5 years ago. In the past few months the taste I was getting a lot of times was outright HORRIBLE and I mean making you feel sick horrible. It tasted like inhaling the smoke from a chimney.

I opened my rba multiple times just to find out the cotton was perfectly saturated and everything was perfectly clean. The coil prior to adding cotton was always evenly lighting up and all so I just couldn't figure out what the deal was.

A few days ago I bought new kanthal and yesterday I built a new coil. As of right now, that ridicously awful taste is completely gone which leads me to the only conclusion that after a few years pass kanthal goes bad.

Can anyone confirm this ?

*** Actually the kanthal I was using was probably even older. I bought about 5 years and who knows how long it had stayed at the store and how long since it was first put together, so we may be looking at about 6 years

Maybe you have Dust Mites in your Cotton.

Dust-Mites-vs-Bed-Bugs.jpg

Reactions: vapdivrr

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Kanthal is a iron-chromium-aluminium (FeCrAl) alloy, it cannot go 'bad'. It could potentially oxidize (rust), but you would probably see that. If in doubt, just buy another spool, it's not expensive.
Most vaping (or any technical) problem can be eliminated using a process of elimination and application of some basic science.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Kanthal is a iron-chromium-aluminium (FeCrAl) alloy, it cannot go 'bad'. It could potentially oxidize (rust), but you would probably see that.
The 20%+ chromium content alone should make it pretty dang resistant to rust, and the aluminum should help as well. Heck, 430 SS has a few percent less chromium.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Nonononononononono! :eek: My last post was not informative in any way whatsoever! It was complete and utter garbage! I am horrified that I may have damaged someone’s understanding of the world:(
Don't worry. It was a tongue-in-cheek "informative." My understanding of the world is no more damaged than usual.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread