The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Kanthal goes bad ??? (Horrible burnt taste)

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Annon011, Feb 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Annon011

Annon011 Full Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Up until yesterday I used a 100 ft Kanthal that I bought like 4 or 5 years ago. In the past few months the taste I was getting a lot of times was outright HORRIBLE and I mean making you feel sick horrible. It tasted like inhaling the smoke from a chimney.

I opened my RBA multiple times just to find out the cotton was perfectly saturated and everything was perfectly clean. The coil prior to adding cotton was always evenly lighting up and all so I just couldn't figure out what the deal was.

A few days ago I bought new kanthal and yesterday I built a new coil. As of right now, that ridicously awful taste is completely gone which leads me to the only conclusion that after a few years pass kanthal goes bad.

Can anyone confirm this ?

*** Actually the kanthal I was using was probably even older. I bought about 5 years and who knows how long it had stayed at the store and how long since it was first put together, so we may be looking at about 6 years

• Like Like x 1
  2. the wind

the wind Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    alabama
    My guess is a oil film on it.try cleaning it with alcohol before wrapping and dry burn.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Kanthal is basically iron wire. It can rust perhaps, and that might create such a flavor, but “go bad”? Not given anything outside geologic time scales. Maybe not even then. What CAN go bad are hydrocarbons like oils coating that wire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. vapdivrr

vapdivrr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    My spools dont sit for that long, so never tried 5 year old kanthal, but I just dont see it going bad just sitting in a normal environment. I really dont know for sure, but perhaps something got on the spool? Or that part of the spool was defective from the start...haven't heard of this before

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Maybe you have Dust Mites in your Cotton.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I dunno. Lobsters are Arthropods. That might just make it tastier.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Dunno either?

MTL-ing them at Low Wattage might be OK. But vaping Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus in DL Hits at High Wattage is just plain Nasty.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    It’s probably all the burnt chitin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Nonononononononono! :eek: My last post was not informative in any way whatsoever! It was complete and utter garbage! I am horrified that I may have damaged someone’s understanding of the world:(

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    Kanthal is a iron-chromium-aluminium (FeCrAl) alloy, it cannot go 'bad'. It could potentially oxidize (rust), but you would probably see that. If in doubt, just buy another spool, it's not expensive.
    Most vaping (or any technical) problem can be eliminated using a process of elimination and application of some basic science.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    The 20%+ chromium content alone should make it pretty dang resistant to rust, and the aluminum should help as well. Heck, 430 SS has a few percent less chromium.

12. Zazie

Zazie Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    Don't worry. It was a tongue-in-cheek "informative." My understanding of the world is no more damaged than usual.

13. BillW50

BillW50 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2014
    US
    • Informative Informative x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.