Kayfun 3.1 vs Kayfun Lite question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greatov

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys so I have a question concerning Kayfuns. Right now I have (2) 3.1s that I use daily and absolutely love. I see the kayfun lite has come out and my question is are there any drawbacks to it over the 3.1?

From how it looks to me, it works exactly the same as a 3.1 but is decently shorter. Can anyone tell me if there is any difference in the performance or otherwise because I'm actually a little annoyed that the Lite is cheaper, more compact and looks like it works the same.

Thanks in advance for your help!

ph0kused

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Orange County, CA, USA
3.1 fully opened has a greater airflow then the kayfun light.

How big are the airholes on the 3.1 all the way opened?? This is a BIG concern for me as I am a direct lung hitter.

I prefer to have 2 holes on my device, both at 3/32 size. Someone on here once told me awhile ago that even with the kayfun wide open, it will not be remotely as airy as a two 3/32 size holes.

Admittedly, i absolutely LOVE the design of the Kayfun! I purchased an Ithaka awhile back, but was immediately let down when I noticed that the Ithaka was clearly designed for people who mouth hit, not direct lung hit. the Ithaka's airflow is too restrictive for me, and has become a $200.00 paper weight next to my under $100.00 Nimbus RDA.

I would love to use my ithaka (i even bought the TSAF wire welder!) if I could only drill my airflow out so it would be more airy... but I can't. I went back and fourth with Imeo on here about this issue. At first he was very defensive, like any designer would, but then informed me that he's working on the Penelope 2 that will have adjustable airflow to accommodate lung hitters like myself.

Back to my original question... the Kayfun 3.1... anyone on here have the Kayfun 3.1 and direct lung hits out of it? I want to get my facts straight before I pull another dumb move and drop $175.00 on a device I won't use.

upsetter21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
Alameda, CA
+1 to these questions. I'm lungish also. I thought the little screw on the bottom adjacent to the 510 connection allowed a/f adjustment on the lite(???). Can somebody clarify size diff's also? Wondering if these are both 21mm diameter. Also am I to understand the lite is less tall than the 3.1? Measurements, even rough ones, would be appreciated. Thank ECF community.

Last edited:

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
+1 to these questions. I'm lungish also. I thought the little screw on the bottom adjacent to the 510 connection allowed a/f adjustment on the lite(???). Can somebody clarify size diff's also? Wondering if these are both 21mm diameter. Also am I to understand the lite is less tall than the 3.1? Measurements, even rough ones, would be appreciated. Thank ECF community.

The Kayfun 3.1 and the Kayfun Lite + are both 22mm in diameter. I'm not sure about the exact size difference, but if the Russian and Russian 91% are exact copies, then the Lite will be 9% shorter than the 3.1.

Lung hits are possible on the 3.1... I've never removed the screw completely, but in the "most open" I can lung hit. But it's nowhere near as airy as something like my Helios. Without the screw, the airhole becomes something like 3mm. The Kayfun Lite's airhole, with the screw removed, is something like 2mm (taking a guess by looks), so it will be a bit tighter than the 3.1. However, I've seen videos of people doing lung hits with the Lite. I expect it's not the same as a lung hit from a wide-open dripper, but you shouldn't expect that from a tank style RBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread