Kayfun nano kit flavour

Status
Not open for further replies.

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
Basically, does anyone else find that the flavour from a kayfun is much better when using a nano kit?

For background I'm much more experienced in RDA use. Decided to get a kayfun to have as my on the go device. I realise the flavour probably won't be up there with good RDA builds.

I have the (Infinite I believe) Kayfun Lite Plus v2 clone from fasttech and had found flavour was not as good as I was expecting, really muted and a bit odd. Vapour production was fine etc etc

So I tried the nano kit that comes with that kayfun and the flavour is much better, really smooth draw and lots of vapour. I'm very pleased with it but am wondering if this is to do with my build or something else, because after getting a really good vape from the nano kit I tried putting the standard tank sections and chimney back on with the exact same coil, wick and juice to see if I had just been making a mistake with the build and nope, the flavour is still muted.

Can you guys help? I'm really happy with the nano but it would be nice to use the normal tank sections as I pretty much vape the nano dry during my day at work, it would be nice to have that bigger juice capacity.

Thanks

Edit: I'm using a 1.1ohm single coil on a mechanical mod.

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
I agree, although for different reasons. I find that the flavor on the kfl gets better as there is less juice. Even on my nano kit, the flavor gets better once it gets low.

Do you also notice that the juice gets darker as you deplete the tank? I find that sometimes with dark or sweet juices, the sweet sticky residue that gunks up your coil mixes back into the tank a little and so the juice at the end is darker and maybe a bit sweeter than a freshly filled tank.

For my issue, I'm assuming it's something to do with the chimney being shorter on a nano...

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Hmm I'm not sure that having to go sub-ohm on a kayfun is the answer. I might try it though, or maybe going higher resistance.

The problem is mech mod limitations. On a high VV/VW output device you could simply up the output.
Going slightly sub ohm is about the same result - higher output.

You might try using a higher gauge wire for faster heat up but that will result in less coils/surface area.

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
The problem is mech mod limitations. On a high VV/VW output device you could simply up the output.
Going slightly sub ohm is about the same result - higher output.

You might try using a higher gauge wire for faster heat up but that will result in less coils/surface area.

Was time to recoil/rewick anyway yesterday so I tried using the standard tank/chimney on a VV device and then trying the nano kit with the same voltages with the same build/juice.

Coil was 1.2ohms and tried from 3.3V to 5.0V, which is about 9-20W, and the nano kit is just better for flavour.

Maybe it's just that longer thin chimney section dulls the flavour or just the longer travel time. I'm still stumped, surely everyone who uses a normal kayfun daily has to be getting better flavour than this?

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
Hmm, see I'm the exact opposite. I can't get anything but muted flavor from my nano tank. I've used the same builds that I get massive flavors out of, and its just not there on the nano. I the use the same coil back to large capacity tank and the flavor is back.

What kind of builds are you doing for this?

0S1R1S

Jul 15, 2014
Pittsburgh
What kind of builds are you doing for this?

Honestly, I've tried so many. I bought my first kfl with the nano kit and didn't even try the full size. I thought that's just how it was for a few weeks until I got another and did the full size tank and was blown away. All the builds I thought didn't work, worked great in the full size. My most recent build is amazing for flavor and vapor, so I tried the nano once more, and its still blah. My build is a twisted 30g @ 1.4Ω coil on 5/64 driver. Full lung hits at 12w has better a flavor than my RDA.

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
Honestly, I've tried so many. I bought my first kfl with the nano kit and didn't even try the full size. I thought that's just how it was for a few weeks until I got another and did the full size tank and was blown away. All the builds I thought didn't work, worked great in the full size. My most recent build is amazing for flavor and vapor, so I tried the nano once more, and its still blah. My build is a twisted 30g @ 1.4Ω coil on 5/64 driver. Full lung hits at 12w has better a flavor than my RDA.

Hmm I'll have to give that a go. I'm surprised you get better flavour than an RDA though!

0S1R1S

Jul 15, 2014
Pittsburgh
Hmm I'll have to give that a go. I'm surprised you get better flavour than an RDA though!

I mean, the flavor is comparable. But I feel like I can taste more subtle flavors and undertones with the Kayfun using the same juice as the rda. I made an album of the build I am currently using in all my KFLs if you wana check it out. I've been using the same wick and coil for a week now and its still pumping out the flavor, no dry hits.

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
I mean, the flavor is comparable. But I feel like I can taste more subtle flavors and undertones with the Kayfun using the same juice as the rda. I made an album of the build I am currently using in all my KFLs if you wana check it out. I've been using the same wick and coil for a week now and its still pumping out the flavor, no dry hits.

Yeah good idea. I can use up the last of that old 30ga kanthal I never use now. Been trying out twisted 28ga and 25ga builds lately, the flavour is different to a normal coil for sure. Not sure which I prefer.

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
Made a 30ga twisted coil, 7 wraps round a 2mm screwdriver came out at 1.1 ohms. Vapes nicely, flavour is great but like all twisted builds I'm not sure if I prefer them over regular, the flavour is denser but I find you need to get them warmed up to get the best flavour/vapour. First couple of drags lack a little bit.

AGAIN, tried it both in regular kayfun and nano mode, and nano is the clear winner. Maybe I should give up on this and accept the nano kit is the way to go for me. It just about holds enough for a day at work. I suppose I could take a juice bottle, backup atty or buy another kayfun haha.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York

I checked out your imgur photos and Im interested in your twisted build. I run a similar resistance for my MVP2, more around 1.5 with 28 gauge kanthal. I'm very satisfied with the results. A lot of people say 28 gauge heats up too slow for the MVP2, but with 9 wraps I find that it works great. I'm very picky with my coil length in relation to the positive pin air hole diameter. My 9 wrap spans the air hole diameter and has a slight overhang on both sides. Your twisted build looks like it's a bit longer, but not by much. I'll have to give this a try. I'll be interested to see how the MVP2 fires it. I could also try a twisted 32 gauge. A member here once told me to try out the twisted build, feel bad I have not got around to it yet lol.

I also had no idea the chimney body was sided lol. I use rayon wick and it wicks fantastic every time, never ran into a wicking issue but I'll have a look next time I wick.

Back to the OP, never tried the nano kit. After reading here I may want to pick one up, I like a smaller form factor, I feel flavor would be more intense due to less distance from coil to drip tip. Maybe a bit warmer? It also wouldn't hurt to have a spare body kit say for a juice change.

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
I checked out your imgur photos and Im interested in your twisted build. I run a similar resistance for my MVP2, more around 1.5 with 28 gauge kanthal. I'm very satisfied with the results. A lot of people say 28 gauge heats up too slow for the MVP2, but with 9 wraps I find that it works great. I'm very picky with my coil length in relation to the positive pin air hole diameter. My 9 wrap spans the air hole diameter and has a slight overhang on both sides. Your twisted build looks like it's a bit longer, but not by much. I'll have to give this a try. I'll be interested to see how the MVP2 fires it. I could also try a twisted 32 gauge. A member here once told me to try out the twisted build, feel bad I have not got around to it yet lol.

I also had no idea the chimney body was sided lol. I use rayon wick and it wicks fantastic every time, never ran into a wicking issue but I'll have a look next time I wick.

Back to the OP, never tried the nano kit. After reading here I may want to pick one up, I like a smaller form factor, I feel flavor would be more intense due to less distance from coil to drip tip. Maybe a bit warmer? It also wouldn't hurt to have a spare body kit say for a juice change.

I had also not noticed the chimney had a top/bottom, I'm not aware of which way up I'd been using it until now, forgot to check until after I'd taken it off and cleaned it.

Interested in trying other tank atomisers now to see if any of them can get as good a flavour as this nano kit but hold more juice, the squape reloaded looks really good but the decent looking clone on FT has been taken off for some reason.

0S1R1S

Jul 15, 2014
Pittsburgh
Hmm, see I'm the exact opposite. I can't get anything but muted flavor from my nano tank. I've used the same builds that I get massive flavors out of, and its just not there on the nano. I use the same coil back in the large capacity tank and the flavor is back.

I'm going to have to retract my initial comment. I ordered a different style nano kit and got it today. 100x better than the EHPro nano kit I tried previously. I honestly think it might have been the EHPro chimney and/or vacuum issue. I got the nano body kit from VividSmoke and its working great. Only fits on the v1 top cap though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread