Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I can't believe there's no thread for this device, yet.

I got this about 9 days ago, popped in the Ka1 mesh strip, and I haven't put it down.

It's a great value. In the box there's a single 18650 70 watt, TC and bypass capable mod, 2 different styles of pods (one is designed specifically for their drop-in coils... haven't used these yet... may never use them. The other is designed for the RBA deck. Both have their own AFC and press fit 510 drip tip, but a regular 510 works, too.), a USB-C charge and update cable, 2 mesh sized cotton shoelaces, 4 strips of mesh, a special little grip tool for pulsing your coils in the mod, 2 drip tips (510), extra grub screws, 5 SS ropes (for wicking... that's 4 to use and a spare), and a regular fused clapton coil. There's probably more... I'm writing this from memory... The RBA pod holds around 5ml, and the coil pod holds around 3ml.

Building is as simple as any other mesh RTA, and wicking is actually easier. With the Profile Unity or Doom, a doom, a bad wick job can leave you with horrendous leaks, soul scorching dry hits, or both. I've had neither with this... rewicked it 3 times.

Filling is simple, too. A silicon plug is popped out of an ample hole, juice is squirted in, and the hole plugged again.

Because of its zinc alloy construction, it weighs almost exactly the same amount as my Billet Box, but it's just a touch smaller.

On one side, there's a slit looking into the pod to check the juice level... it's OK, and I've never run dry, but you can't see the whole pod... just a sliver of it. On the other side, there's a nice clicky button. To be honest, during the first day of use, it got stuck a couple times. Never enough to scorch the wick, but it was a concern. Since then, it hasn't stuck at all. On top is the AFC and drip tip. On the bottom, there's some venting and a little engraving. The solid back side is emblazoned with the word Kylin... HUGE meshed out letters. The front side is a pretty panel featuring IML graphics. This panel is removable and provides access to the pod - which will pop right out with a gentle, angle tug of the drip tip - the battery compartment - which, sadly, has the polarity marked black on black - the small screen, and the adjustment buttons.

I'm not gonna run through all the menu options, here. It's pretty simple. As I'm using the Ka1 mesh strip, I've had it set to between 48 and 53 watts. It does adjust in 1 watt increments. Oh, yeah, it's 5 clicks on/five clicks off. I ought to also point out that the TC mode (which I've not checked yet) defaults to SS, and there is no Ni or Ti but the TCR can be adjusted.

The deck is, IMO, quite nice... innovative, even. It takes the spring loaded ceramic block and facing clamps found first in the Profile, and adds tiny notches to the clamps allowing for really easy installation of standard coils. The way the AFC and drip tip is set up makes this usable as a mini RDA... no need to fill the tank.

Oh, yeah, like the Vandy Vape Swell, the PCB is waterproof... if your tank does leak (mine hasn't and I've had this thing everywhere, in every position), the board won't fry.

I can only think of two cons: for its size, it's kinda heavy... I'm thinking that if they had used the same nylon fiber they used on the Swell, it would have been... hmmm... swell; the Kylin logo on the back is a little over the top (although it's not as bad on mine - the gray bodied variant - as it is on the black model).

Other than that, this is a stellar device and has quickly become a part of my EDC.
20200803_154207_compress79.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread