Kylin Mini heat problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Earl

Apr 19, 2018
Hi guys

First of all hi all.

I just purchased my first rda, I had the special edition Peerless RDA and enjoyed it but rarely took it out and about.

I wanted an rta for the obvious tank bonus! I chose a Vandy Vape Kylin Mini from my local vape store.

I set it up, running 0.41, I spread the coils a little as I heard this would help with wicking, didn’t go made with cotton and thinned the ends as I heard wicking was key with these.

Now whatever wattage I use, when I vape I get more liquid taste than vapour, and it gets very hot to the lips very quick, it doesn’t look like my coil is too low looking at other Kylin Mini builds so what could be my issue?

Attachments

• 070E072E-0E30-4AAD-84FA-3F9839976F8F.jpeg
    070E072E-0E30-4AAD-84FA-3F9839976F8F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 230
  • 4B073FA3-E03C-4701-B9C5-403B97A0AFCB.jpeg
    4B073FA3-E03C-4701-B9C5-403B97A0AFCB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 222
Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
From the first pic, it looks like you don't have enough cotton in the coil. The top loop of the coil does not have cotton contacting it which could let it get way too hot and cause spitting. Wick it again, but use enough cotton to fill up the coil so it has no gaps and all of the coil is in contact with wicking material.

Matthew Earl

Apr 19, 2018
From the first pic, it looks like you don't have enough cotton in the coil. The top loop of the coil does not have cotton contacting it which could let it get way too hot and cause spitting. Wick it again, but use enough cotton to fill up the coil so it has no gaps and all of the coil is in contact with wicking material.

Thanks mate, do you think I should replace the coil where I pulled it apart a bit?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Thanks mate, do you think I should replace the coil where I pulled it apart a bit?
That isn't necessary. I space my coils out almost all the time, makes it easier to prep the coils (there is almost never hot spots to work out in spaced coils) and doesn't hurt anything.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Smaller inner diameter? Smaller hole for cotton to go through? Will change coil maybe and drop it lower, you think Changing the type of coil too?

Yes, the inner diameter is referring to the hole the cotton goes through.

I went through quite a few different coil types and wire materials before I found exactly what I liked and didn't like. I'm sure you will also go through a few before finding what works best for yourself.

With your current coil, I would try pulling it out, trimming of a millimeter or two off the coil legs, and reinstall it. This will help you see how coil placement works. Since you already know how that coil hits how it is, you have a reference point so you can see what lowering the coil would do much easier.

• Useful

Matthew Earl

Apr 19, 2018
It's all in the wicking and coil diameter. You want enough but not to much cotton to fill the wick slots and coil diameter to accommodate it. I let rdtas choose my diameter. There is a art to it and it can't really be taught. It's all feel and trial and error.

I feel like I’m close, getting rid of the heat problem was first step? I wonder if trying a different coil? Fused Clapton or twisted maybe?

Budgie

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2018
Scotland
The Kylin Mini can be a bit off a brat to wick correctly, what I've just started doing to mine is to use 2.5mm coils, and when you snugly fit your cotton through the coil, the ends just need fluffing out, wet with your e-juice and tease into the groove, the ends of the wicks just below the coil retaining grub screws, and I'm getting very good results this way, I'm not huge on clouds, but love the taste I'm getting out of wicking it this way, and the tank is not getting hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread