Lack of symptoms questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newme

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I was a pack and a half menthol smoker for over 35 years. I have been vaping for about 5 weeks, and completely quit cigarettes 3 weeks ago tomorrow.

Before I quit, I definitely had a smoker's cough and was stuffy all the time. Thankfully both of those are gone.

But I really haven't had many other symptoms, or should I say, noticeable benefits yet. I don't notice much of a difference (improvment?) in the taste of my foods yet. My sense of smell has only improved a tiny bit, due to the fact that my nose isn't stuffy any more. And I have not coughed up ANY of the junk that I put into my lungs for all these years. And I still can't breathe all that deeply, though I can breathe a bit deeper than I used to.

Is it too soon? I thought some of these things happened fairly quickly, especially the coughing.

spirits3250

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Hi. I have been vaping for about 6 months. I quit cigs after I started vaping. I noticed an improvement in my breathing pretty quickly but as far as climbing stairs without being out of breath, it took several months. My taste hasn't really changed all that much, but my sense of smell improved after about a month or so. The best part was losing the smokers cough and not getting bronchitis this winter. Yeah! These changes didn't happen overnight, but they DID happen. Just takes time. I smoked for 40 years and I don't expect to get rid of all the nasty in a few months.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hi New Me,
I've been vaping over 7 months. You will see small changes for quite a while. When your sense of smell comes back you'll definely know it. I smoked for over 40 years and it took a while for me and it was only some things at first, it gets better with time. Can't rush it, but be assured that your body is healing. The older we get the more time it takes to bounce back--that is true with just about anything tho. Don't worry or fret about it. Just enjoy it as it comes.
:)
sas

Rosco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2010
KCMO:>)
Can't add much more and I agree with it all. Seems like we have a bit in common..all the last posts.
I smoked Kool's for 40+ years myself. I'm a little over 3 months now not smoking and I still have a hard time believing I'm not smoking anymore. For me, it's best just best for me to not "dwell" on any of it. Just keep on vaping right now and not thinking about it.
It's worked just fine for me this long, and I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.
I love not coughing anymore. I DID cough up junk for a few days, but not as long as I would have thought I would or should have. Everything always tasted good for me, but I'm a "hotter the better" guy so my wife asks me how I'd know the difference anyway. :)
I'd not worry much about any of it and just keep "not smoking" and do whatever it takes to stay that way.
When it's all said and done, our bodies will be thanking us whether we know it, feel it, etc, or not.
To not be "intaking" all that crap and crud is a good thing.
I wish you much continued success and hope you can and will encourage any and all the people you can to quit smoking and to tell them how you did it.
I support CASAA all I can and encourage everyone to also support CASAA. They are helping us all. :thumb:

jackoboy82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
Wrexham, UK
I was a pack and a half menthol smoker for over 35 years. I have been vaping for about 5 weeks, and completely quit cigarettes 3 weeks ago tomorrow.

Firstly well done on the choice of quitting. You're doing great :)

Now I aint no doctor but you say you smoked for 35 years and a pack and a half at that. well i'd say it's be at least a year before you notice any major noticeable differences. as much as we'd love for things to change overnight they're not. the body is so complex and years of abuse is not going to be undone in an instance. I read somewhere that it takes an ex smokers heart 15 years to get back to the same condition as a non-smoker. so with that in mind I wouldnt expect my lungs, tongue or nose to have any major changes in the short term. That said I know I can smell slightly easier and better. I had a mild period where gunk came up, but like I said it was mild..............felt like I had a chest cold. As for taste I haven't really noticed that much of a change. but with the tongue being a muscle like the heart, I imagine the same sort of long term healing as mentioned above...........I do hope I'm wrong though!

Again well done on choosing a healthier lifestyle :)

Newme

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2011
Wisconsin
for me the coughing was the third month....taste came back quickly, smell by the first month.....running the 4 minute mile was (who am I kidding).......

LOL!

Actually I'd just like to get my old voice back. It's gotten deeper and deeper over the years. It got so bad that I have to sing with the guys in church.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread