Large Customs Fees... Why?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

potts_d

Verified Member
Sep 23, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I just received a fairly big order from The Perfumer's Apprentice. The total cost for products (molecules, flavors, VG, PG) was $124.74, plus $27.45 for UPS shipping.

When the UPS guy dropped off my package today, I had to pay $60.57 in Customs fees!
On the UPS slip, the fee is broken down into GST and Brok. Fee.

This may be a naive question, but WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?!
Even if Canada Customs decided to charge the Ontario HST, it would be just over $20.00. That's not sixty bucks!
It makes me really angry!

Someone please shed some light on this for me.
Thanks.

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
Ouch!
Simple answer, "because they can!".

You could probably appeal (unless you paid already) on whatever basis your research leads you to. Sounds to me like they consider such 'flavor additives' as some kind of commercial/pharmacetical product.

Does Canuck Customs have a website?
Looky here

potts_d

Verified Member
Sep 23, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Ouch!
Simple answer, "because they can!".

You could probably appeal (unless you paid already) on whatever basis your research leads you to. Sounds to me like they consider such 'flavor additives' as some kind of commercial/pharmacetical product.

Does Canuck Customs have a website?
Looky here

Thanks, Eddie, for the input.
I appreciate the link too, but they don't mention UPS.

If I call UPS, they will give me the run-around. And I feel like there is nothing I can do.
I will call them, though. I will ask if this figure is correct, and I will listen to their long-winded justification.
And all I can say, if nothing is resolved, is that I will never use UPS again (and I will spread the word). Will they care? No.

It's frustrating, to say the least.

potts_d

Verified Member
Sep 23, 2011
Ontario, Canada
The extra charge was likely a brokerage fee by UPS. Next time use USPS mail. I just got my order delivered to my door today and not even a GST, let alone a ridiculous brokerage fee. It took 2.5 weeks to get here but for $5 and no extra fees, I can stand the delay.

Absolutely! I could've waited the extra week or so.
And it was their brokerage fee that sent the bill skyrocketing! Here's how the bill works out (rounded figures):
ORIGINAL TOTAL: $126.00
SHIPPING PAID ON INVOICE: $27.00
TAX: $16.00
BROKERAGE FEE: $44.00

The original shipping fee covers transportation, fuel and the "residential surcharge".
So the $44.00 "brokerage fee" is really just for UPS to clear it through Customs!!
It costs 39% of the value of the package?! It costs twice as much as the physical shipment of the package?!

Nonsense.

Although I know never to use UPS again, I would love it if all suppliers decided to omit them completely as an option. Too many people must run into this problem, and it could result in many returned shipments and lost money (and revenue, for businesses).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread