License to smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I see Britain is proposing a license to smoke. Yep, a smoker would have to fill out a form, have a photo taken and shell out a sizable chunk of cash to get a smoker's license good for one year only. The license would be needed to purchase tobacco products. Read this and wonder: Will someone next propose a license to e-smoke?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7247470.stm

markab

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
TropicalBob said:
I see Britain is proposing a license to smoke. Yep, a smoker would have to fill out a form, have a photo taken and shell out a sizable chunk of cash to get a smoker's license good for one year only. The license would be needed to purchase tobacco products. Read this and wonder: Will someone next propose a license to e-smoke?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7247470.stm

Incredable, but hell why stop there. Perhaps the British government should expand its' horizons? How about requiring some other licences for things people use to get their "fix". Here's a couple of suggestions;

1) A caffine license for those terrible coffee\tea and cola junkies among us.
2) An alcohol license for those monsters amungst us that use the alcohol in a beer or glass of wine to unwind at the end of the day.
3) A sugar license. Because research has shown a connection between the amount of sugar you consumer and the risk of developing diabetes.
4) A trans fat license. As it's a major contributer to Arterial sclerosis.
5) A sodium license. Because high usage of table salt leads to high blood preasure.

Few would argue that traditional smoking isn't bad for you, but smokers have become an easy group to pick on.

Regards,
Mark

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Oh boy, that's pretty much indicative of where we are at the moment in the UK. I'm a Labour Party supporter, but I have to admit that there's a pretty nasty authoritarian streak within our Government.

The national identity card scheme is the biggie, and I have no idea how it's going to play out. Almost everybody I have spoken to, liberal and conservative, hates the idea - but will they do anything about it when it ends up on the statute book?

I don't know, but I'm kind of hoping for a poll-tax type revolt (avoiding the riots, if we can help it), although I hope it doesn't spell the end of our Labour Government.

As for the smoking ID card, I can't really see it happening, but having said that, there has been such a move against smokers in the past couple of years that I wouldn't rely on support from the general population in opposing it.

It is very sad in the UK right now, that people really don't seem interested in supporting the basic rights of their fellow man. I don't quite know what has happened, and as you say, Mark, smokers are a nice easy target.

I note that these proposals come from "Health England", a body set up to implement the proposals in a Government white paper. I doubt this sort of thing would be put up with in Scothland and wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread