LiIon-Cell Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

aLyr

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2016
European Union
Hello all,

in the past, I wanted to track the charge characteristics of my LiIon cells in a MS XL file.

This, however, is quite tedious. At that, with this, it is difficult to find the information which one wants to see.

Thus, I decided to convert these data to MySQL.
This is ongoing; please do not expect results soon.

This is still under construction, thus not yet available here, if at all in the future.

Regards
aLyr

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hello all,

in the past, I wanted to track the charge characteristics of my LiIon cells in a MS XL file.

This, however, is quite tedious. At that, with this, it is difficult to find the information which one wants to see.

Thus, I decided to convert these data to MySQL.
This is ongoing; please do not expect results soon.

This is still under construction, thus not yet available here, if at all in the future.

Regards
aLyr

I'm curious what data you are tracking?

aLyr

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2016
European Union
Sorry for answering late.
Here is the data which I collect:
  1. cell designation, capacity, the ordinal number I gave it, and an additional number if it is a member of a set of matched cells
  2. date and time of cell installation in a mod including the mod's name
  3. date and time of cell removal from a mod reporting 'low battery' (some mods show this message early; they maybe have some puffs more)
  4. cell voltage after removal, possibly giving it time to rest until it is at room temperature
  5. start date and time of charge, the cell's charge current (300..3000mA), and its charge cycle no
  6. end date and time of charge, and the cell's resting voltage at room temperature ~30m after charging
I also collected the cell's inner resistance which my Nitecore SC4 tells me. But this value is absolutely unreliable.
Also, a calculation of mV/h for a charge does not tell much, having nonlinear charging curves; I'll drop it.

And nearly forgotten: I also save the name of the charger.

My challenge is now
  1. to create a good database table structure
  2. to make good database queries which can answer many questions about cells and more

Best regards,
aLyr

PS: I do not record charges of my mods with built-in LiPo cells.

Last edited:

aLyr

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2016
European Union
So far, my planned DB table structure is this:
  1. mod = id / manufacturer / type / model / variation / firmware date
  2. cell = id / manufacturer / type / capacity / match_no
  3. charge = id / cell:id / s_time / s_voltage / e_time / e_voltage
This ought to work for several queries, but I may add something to this.

And yes, I could consider mod firmware updates, which I must implement properly.

Regards,
aLyr

Last edited:

aLyr

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2016
European Union
Hello all,

the DB structure is nearly complete by now.

My next steps will be converting the existing worksheets from MS XL to XML format. After that, I'll have to convert them to instructions to create and fill a MySQL database using a Perl script, which must yet be developed, taking time.

Why this effort?
XL files are difficult to handle, especially if you must handle several worksheets for one cell charge.
At date, I have 22 cells and a worksheet for each, and some more. With this, navigation in MS XL becomes cumbersome.
In a database with a good structure, life becomes easier.

Here just some examples of what a database query can tell you:
  • which cells are currently installed in my mods?
  • which is the internal resistance of my cells over time? (Vapcell YR-1030 reqd)
  • how long took it to charge a cell?
  • what is the range of cut-off voltages of a mod?
  • what is the resting voltage of a cell 30min after charging, and which charger has been used?
  • how do the charges of matched cells look over time?
These are just a few examples, there are more.

Time for me to go back to work, which may take quite a while.

Best Regards,
aLyr

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

aLyr

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2016
European Union
I could pick up my new Vapcell YR-1030 this afternoon at about 18:00 CEST.

Using it with the probes which were in the package, I only saw IR values jumping back and forth, thus unusable.

However, they additionally sent me kind of a bay for cells, with electrodes. Using that, the displayed IR value remained very stable.

Here is an example of IR values after my latest charge of a Samsung 30Q.
Nitecore SC4: 59 mΩ (not reliable, method unknown)
Vapcell YR-1030: 15.26 mΩ AC

The latter looks far better, and is close to IR values which Mooch has found.

To let you know, this was the cell's charge cycle #30.
I aquired it nearly 2 years ago, but it still seems to be in good shape.

Regards,
aLyr

aLyr

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2016
European Union
Hello all,

I already created an XML file which partly has data of my MS XLS file. So far, it looks good, though not complete, thus there is still more work for me to do.

My planned DB table structure has improved already, to make queries easier.

While designing this structure, I found several cells which I use in mods with 2 cells or more.

"Matched" is certainly not the right name for those.
And "married" is not a good name, too.
If you think of 2 "married" cells, tell me which of them is male or female.

And when it comes to mods with 3 cells, "married" is hardly the right name there.

Thus, I suggest the name "cell set" for a combination of cells in a mod, if 2 or more.

Anyway, you can see an uncomplete XML file below; it is stiil under construction. Pittily, ECF does not allow to append XML files to messages. Thus, I had to convert it to a TXT file.
After downloading, please change the file name suffix from ".txt" to ".xml".
After that, you ought to be able to open the file in any web browser.

In the past, I found that people who were not familiar with XML could understand the structures inside such files quite well.

Regards,
aLyr

PS: This XML file, once completed, can be used to fill tables of a MySQL database, with the help of a Perl script.
Still something to be done.

Attachments

• Database.txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

aLyr

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2016
European Union
Here I am again.

My project has continued since my last post here.

I have converted my MS XL worksheets, which I used so far, to a single XML file manually, with no redundancy.
It can be the basis of a database structure. For that, I have still some work to do.
Anyway, this XML file can give you an idea of a good DB structure.
But this file still has to be inspected by me for defects!

I append a preliminary version of my XML file for you to see. You can open it in web browser.
It does not have all data since I used e-cigarettes in spring 2016, thus some entries may be incomplete.
Also, over time, I refined my recordings.

Somewhat later in 2018, I started to record the IR AC measured with a Vapcell YR1030.
However, its voltage display does not seem to be reliable, thus disregarded; for that, I continue using my good old HP multimeter.

You can download this file and open it in a web browser.
You may lower the zoom factor to avoid line breaks in the display, and/or make the browser window wider.

An XML file is quite self-explanatory.
In the past, I found that even laymen could interpret the content of such files quite well.
At that, it is "well-formed", thus has no structural defects.

Note that some attributes in section entries relate to other sections.
In that case, the information in different sections must be combined.

My XML data is quite complete by now and can be used to create and fill a database.
That might be a good thing, but is not exactly necessary.
HTML + JavaScript + XML might do a good job also.
I'll have to think this over, before using a MySQL database on my Laptop or elsewhere in the WWW.

In my XML file, my mods can be found in section "mods".
Chargers are in section "chargers",
cells in section "cells",
and charges in section "charges", the latter using cell id and mod id.
Note that this section now looks ordered by cell id and time, but this is not a requirement and can change with each new charge data entered!
I also could sort this section by charges:charge:start, without any loss of information.

Quite new is the section "chrg-currents", which gives information about charge currents for cells recommended by Mooch.
It is not referenced by other sections, but may be useful for you before charging a cell.

Date and time noted comply to ISO 8601. This notation is clearly understood all over the world.
Thus, they have an offset to UTC at their end.
Easy to see that for my place they are given in either CET (+01:00) or CEST (+02:00).
You can easily convert this to your own timezone. (If you are not sure, ask Wikipedia).

Please disregard the section "dst" in my XML file. This is just a reminder for me for the place where I live.
You may ignore or delete this data without any problem. It is not referenced elsewhere in sections of this XML file.
And anyway, it won't hurt anybody, be this section present or not.
Feel free to remove it if you want to.

My Vaporesso Tarot Nanos with built-in LiPo cells appear in the "mods" section.
As they have internal cells, I can hardly gather information about their charging data.
But anyway, I do not charge them above 95% displayed, usually lower.

To sum it up, just build your own XML file like I did. It gives you so much more insight about the cells which you are using in your e-cigarettes.

Best regards,
aLyr

PS: The appended file is a .txt file as ECF does not allow to upload XML files. Please download it and change the file suffix from .txt to .xml. Thereafter, opening the file in a web browser ought to work.

Attachments

• Database.txt
    94.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm gonna admit it here, it seems like as good a place as any. I suck at batteries. I am always confusing runtime with mAh/powerfulness or whatever it is all called (sorry I'm waking up, but even if I were awake I would still get those things all messed up.) I just bought 8 REALLY fantastic batteries-- for someone who wants to vape at oh, 100 watts or something. My runtime shall be pathetic.

I just had a moment, and I also risk sounding like Ephraim Cooper, my favorite banned member, when I start complaining about that, because I also know it is going to be JUST fine and there are even mods I have that they will be useful in, honestly.

So, I'm not saying your spreadsheet is good OR bad, I don't know enough to say. I am going to say I understand battery safety, but when it comes to matching what to what, I am a total dunce, and I solemnly pledge that well, I am gonna stick to care and feeding of battery safety (which I am fairly good at, sorta) but I'm done with like, saying what battery you should get.

Oh, the new batteries will get great life because they certainly won't be PUSHED HARD but MAN. Do I ever suck at batteries..

Next time, I'm just going to PM Badiude and have him TELL me, although he's state the information EVERYWHERE, but when it comes to the order button, I just SUCK. LOL.

Congrats on your spreadsheet though, but like I said, I can only offer you clueless congrats.

Anna

• Love
Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread