Longer Battery Life with 5v mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I have 5v mod box consisting of the following:
2x10440 3.7 320mAh batteries =7.4v (8.2v fresh of the charge)
1x5v regulator
1x momentary switch and so ....................

What if I add a third battery to the mod box for a total of 12v, would that help with the length of time I can vape, or would the extra voltage just go out as heat into the 5v regulator?

Before you post your answer, I know I am not adding 320mAh + 320mAh + 320mAh to = 960 mAh @ 3.7v. Just want to know if I have more voltage from 3 batteries to = around (12v) will this help in any small way to prolong the batteries and vaping time?

Thank you in advance for any logical input.

Kobudo

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Evansville, IN
I would say no, for the reasons you stated. Typically, the batteries will push as hard as they will, and you may actually get your voltage regulator to become less reliable when regulating the higher voltage (depending on its design).

You could try adding two batteries, creating two stacks in parallel, and that would give you 640 mAh at 7.4 volts to the voltage regulator, using your example. However, connecting cells in parallel like this is quite risky, and I wouldn't recommend it without first talking to the manufacturer to get their recommendation and re-checking tolerances yourself. Also note that a short could cause a faulty cell to drain the good cells and cause bad things to happen.

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks [FONT="]Kobudo,

You are correct, about 1 months ago I did just what you said, stacked two protected battys, on one the protection chip fried or broke and caused the other batty to drain and it will not charge any more so I discarded the batty.

[/FONT] [FONT="]Kobudo[/FONT] would you know why there is a difference between say a 3AAA box setup where 2 battys combined for total voltage is OK but stacking them one on top of the other would present a problem?
Is it not the same thing, what would it matter if battys are connected via small wire like in a batty box or one on top of other?:confused:

thanks

Kobudo

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Evansville, IN
Well, I'm not sure, I've been a hobbyist that plays with electricity for several years, and the e-cig is fairly new to me. I've got plans on my first mod and will be buying parts tonight. All previous knowledge comes from building and modding electric guitars and racing r/c cars with my dad growing up (and if you're not familiar, yes grown-ups play with r/c cars, and my dad was sponsored to represent our local hobby shop back in the early days)..

With the r/c cars, we would build race packs by buying a big box of Ni-Cd batteries and "matching" them. If the cells in the pack weren't matched near-perfectly, the cell that discharged faster could damage the pack. Once six or seven cells (depending on the configuration of the pack) were matched for voltage, resistance, and capacity, they were soldered together using battery bars.

I think that may be the problem with some of these batteries in mods -- a spring on the negative end gets a little weak, and the cells can rub against each other a bit as the unit is jostled around. When that happens, there is an opportunity for a short or maybe some static electricity to come into play. I mean, this is just a guess, I've seen the r/c battery packs fail in impressive ways due to a broken solder joint.

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks again [FONT="]for the strait up info Kobudo,

I also play with an RC Hummer, my dog loves chasing it down the block.:D

What mod are you planning on making?
There are a few threads with pics on how to make different kinds of mods if you need some help, not to say that you would need help.

Will you post some pics of the finished mod?

Best regards,

[/FONT]

Connman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
North Florida, USA
For one adding a 3rd battery means a larger box so why not just use 2 larger batteries like the normal 14500 type? It will give you much larger battery mAh then those 10440`s.
It seems that by doing the series of batteries is where we actually step up the risk factor of over working one of the batteries. That`s why you should check your batteries on a meter every now and then coming off the charger to be sure they do in fact stay similar.

and always purchase and only keep matched the same set of batteries in rotation with another set.
Never use another battery in these sets if only one goes bad.

I fill these batteries are safe if you only use protected batteries, keep the box so they slip into it nice meaning not have to force them into the slot. And they are sensitive delicate so dropping a battery can damage the protection circuit. Not good.
Even placing them into the spring loaded charger should never be let snap hard against them.

14500 batteries
Protected 14500 Battery, 900 mAH

Mine last me all day and I vape on average 2 ml a day. It will look similar to yours here.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/68602-how-build-yourself-small-5v-triple-box-microswitch-using-pcb-4.html#post1367201

Or here is one of mine. Box size approximately. 2 3/4 inch long by 1 7/8 inch wide and 3/4 of an inch thick.
Picture22.jpg

The box that can be used is here
http://www.madvapes.com/3-x-AA-Battery-Box_p_2096.html

They are out of stock right now at Madvapes but more are on the way.
This does leave me with a question you can answer though. Just how long do these 350mAh batteries last at 5 Volts?

Last edited:

Connman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
North Florida, USA

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
For one adding a 3rd battery means a larger box so why not just use 2 larger batteries like the normal 14500 type? It will give you much larger battery mAh then those 10440`s.
It seems that by doing the series of batteries is where we actually step up the risk factor of over working one of the batteries. That`s why you should check your batteries on a meter every now and then coming off the charger to be sure they do in fact stay similar.

This does leave me with a question you can answer though. Just how long do these 350mAh batteries last at 5 Volts?

Connman, I agree with you 100%.
The only reason I asked about adding the 3rd 10440 batty is because I had extra. I kind of new what the answer would be, just wanted a confirmation from others.
How long 10440 320mAh or 350mah protected battys last @5v:
I start at 8:00 am - dead by noon, replaced with another set - dead by around 3:00 pm or 4:00pm, replaced with last set I have - dead at 7:00pm.
I read some where that 1hr = 100mAh of discharge @ 2C or 1.5C something like that. So it may be true, 350mAh will last about 3 to 4 hours depending how much you vape.
But today they lasted longer, I kept turning OFF the master switch when did not use the mod. Maybe vaped a bit less, not sure.
Oh yea, very nice Silver MOD you have.

Just wanted to toss this in on where I get my batteries. People can say what they want but I rate these high and have yet to get any bad ones.

Actually I get my 14500 here
DealExtreme: $4.73 TrustFire Protected 14500 3.7V 900mAh Lithium Batteries (2-Pack Blue)

Just long shipping time but for that price on 2 I`ll wait on the longer shipping

I have ordered before from DX but this time ordered the same battys as yours (grey in color) 14500 900mAh protected from Madvapes on Monday, hopefully they will arrive Thursday or Friday.:D And then I will build 5v out of 2 x 14500.

Question for you, my current 5v mod from 10440's with 5v regulator shows 4.9v at the 510 batty connector.
Is there any way to get it to work more like around 5.2v - 5.5v?
Is there a different/stronger volt regulator available than the one from Madvapes - instructions and parts by Ez Duzit?
I think 5.2v would heat the 510 atty 3.2
ohm.gif
made by Bauway alot better than 4.9v.

Thanks for all the help.:thumb:

Connman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
North Florida, USA
I`m using that same regulator on my 5 volt and getting right around 5 volts at the connector using 14500 batteries. But that`s the 5 volt regulator for you at work giving you the 5 volts. No adjustment to that sorry.
Great you got them ordered from Madvapes they have excellent fast shipping. And you will love the long vape time on your soon to be new mod.

Thanks greatly for the vape time you are getting on those batteries I figured that out mostly but wanted to be sure before I proceed with spending money on the new 5 volt mods I`m going to make. 3 to 4 hours works for me.

"Oh yea, very nice Silver MOD you have."
That thing is a over sized chunk of Chrome pipe using a 14500 battery but like you and your 10440`s that`s all I owned at that time besides 10440`s.
But today I`m the new owner of some 18650`s. 2400mAh. :hubba:

Connman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
North Florida, USA
Ooops I think I was referring to the wrong mod and Thanks for the comment. I think you might have meant this one?
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/80318-charger-tundra-mod.html

It holds the 14500 Battery very nice actually but the switch needs to go into the end cap and there is a tight area to keep everything. Now if I can just get a mosfet in there so the switch wouldn`t be overworked I`d be in good shape. But recently this thread pops up using this tube and they have a well designed switch in use.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...9-homemade-corian-drip-tip-work-progress.html

Then last night after I made my previous post and realized while waiting to fall asleep I realized you meant this mod perhaps then I started thinking of ways to make a switch so thanks for putting my mind on something good for I think I have an idea. But some time to get it together is short for now and will be down the road a wee bit.

Post number eleven shows the cap with the LED
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/80318-charger-tundra-mod-2.html#post1200744

I want to complete it to look like this. Not really much to do this but I have some other projects that need taken care of first.
The Liquid feed version.
Picture13.jpg

Sorry I got this post so long but I like talking mod stuff. It`s a sickness I`ve been diagnosed with in this thread called Icantstopmoddingitis. It`s incurable and highly contagious.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
How long 10440 320mAh or 350mah protected battys last @5v:
I start at 8:00 am - dead by noon, replaced with another set - dead by around 3:00 pm or 4:00pm, replaced with last set I have - dead at 7:00pm.
I read some where that 1hr = 100mAh of discharge @ 2C or 1.5C something like that. So it may be true, 350mAh will last about 3 to 4 hours depending how much you vape.
But today they lasted longer, I kept turning OFF the master switch when did not use the mod. Maybe vaped a bit less, not sure.
Oh yea, very nice Silver MOD you have.

I have ordered before from DX but this time ordered the same battys as yours (grey in color) 14500 900mAh protected from Madvapes on Monday, hopefully they will arrive Thursday or Friday.:D And then I will build 5v out of 2 x 14500.

Question for you, my current 5v mod from 10440's with 5v regulator shows 4.9v at the 510 batty connector.
Is there any way to get it to work more like around 5.2v - 5.5v?
Is there a different/stronger volt regulator available than the one from Madvapes - instructions and parts by Ez Duzit?
ohm.gif

Thanks for all the help.:thumb:
The MV 4 pin regulator is always using some power as long as the master switch is on.

As far as batts the blue retail TrustFires are a better choice than the gray UltraFires.

ohm.gif
Why not just use an authentic 2.1Ω Joye atty if you want more heat (power/watts)?

3.2@4.9V = 7.5 watts

2.1@4.9V = 11.4 watts

Moving from 4.9V to 5.2V at 3.2Ω is not a big deal. That's 7.5 watts vs 8.5 watts.

Looking at your current set-up, 3.2@4.9V = 7.5 watts, you could go to a pair of 14500's (in parallel, no regulator) or a single 18500 - 18650 with a LR 1.5Ω atty and get 9 watts.

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The MV 4 pin regulator is always using some power as long as the master switch is on.

As far as batts the blue retail TrustFires are a better choice than the gray UltraFires.

Why not just use an authentic 2.1Ω Joye atty if you want more heat (power/watts)?

3.2@4.9V = 7.5 watts

2.1@4.9V = 11.4 watts

Moving from 4.9V to 5.2V at 3.2Ω is not a big deal. That's 7.5 watts vs 8.5 watts.

Looking at your current set-up, 3.2@4.9V = 7.5 watts, you could go to a pair of 14500's (in parallel, no regulator) or a single 18500 - 18650 with a LR 1.5Ω atty and get 9 watts.

Hi WillyB,
As long as the blue battys are protected I will give them a try, thanks.
Can you elaborate on how are they better?

I would love to use my original 510 atty 2.1Ω but it triggers a cut off switch/protection on my 2x10440 protected battys in serial mode.
I tried using different sets of same battys, tried different 510 attys 2.1Ω but the end result was same, after 2 sec. the mod shuts off. Need to reset battys by turning off/on master switch. Maybe my 10440 battys are damaged:confused:

I will will try a pair of 14500's in parallel, no regulator with a LR 1.5Ω atty and get 9 watts.:D 9 volts sounds very tasty :D

thanks WillyB.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Well in perusing the CandlePower forums it seems that the TrustFires tend to be a bit more consistent and usually do a little better than the UF's in tests. I also prefer what I like to call the 'Retail' TF versions (like the blues and the red/blacks that were linked). These seem more consistent in size and if you buy them in pairs have a nice additional clear shipping wrapper. I've bought from various vendors for almost a year now and they've always been almost identical in size. A friend using the UF's has not been as lucky.

The UltraFires usually floating around are usually bulk types with different lettering and often different markings/wording. The sizes seem much more varied across the board. It's hard to figure why different typefaces and wording is used, I can only assume they come from various plants.

If you are using MadVapes 4 pin regulator you are not the first to have this Joye atty problem. Some say it's a heat issue, others a battery issue. The usual response is 'works fine for me'. You might look at heat. Give the regulator some breathing room and maybe attach a small piece of metal to it for a heat sink. Texas Instruments makes higher quality regulators that easily handle the demands of any atty and provide very consistent output.

Digi-Key - 296-11414-5-ND (Manufacturer - UCC283T-5)

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
If you are using MadVapes 4 pin regulator you are not the first to have this Joye atty problem. Some say it's a heat issue, others a battery issue. The usual response is 'works fine for me'. You might look at heat. Give the regulator some breathing room and maybe attach a small piece of metal to it for a heat sink. Texas Instruments makes higher quality regulators that easily handle the demands of any atty and provide very consistent output.

Digi-Key - 296-11414-5-ND (Manufacturer - UCC283T-5)[/QUOTE]

[FONT="]Sounds good to me,

thanks for the heads up WillyB, much appreciated[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread