• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Looking for help getting the most flavour out of E-cig

Status
Not open for further replies.

zubomb

Jan 18, 2012
Halifax
So I have been vaping on and off for the past 8 months or so and I really like it, however I was wondering if anybody had any tips or pointers on how to get the most flavour out of the juices. I'm not really looking for juice suggestions, instead I'm looking for tips on how to improve my setup which is pretty basic right now and I feel i could get more out of it. I'm willing to put some money into buying some new parts it if that's what needed. ANY suggestions would be great! Thanks

Right now I own the Chrome L-rider full-sized variable voltage, The Kranger 808D-1 manual and auto, and The Riva 1100mAh manual. With the rita and the L-rider I have been using the 510 Standard Resistance Atomizers with Cartridges and with the 808D I've been using the standard horizontal cartomizers. Lately I've been using the L-rider the most and I'm not too sure what setting to use it on for maximum flavour blasts or which Atty would be the best match.

Any suggestions would be great and much appreciated. Thanks! :D

zubomb

Jan 18, 2012
Halifax
Get yourself a Vivi Nova, the real one. PM me your email addy and I will send you an excel spread sheet that will provide you with suggested ranges for voltage settings based on the resistance of your cart or atomizer which will help you find your "sweet spot"

Thanks for the suggestion,I'll look into finding a vendor with them in stock for sure. I hate how a lot of the quality products for PV's have so many knockoffs, it makes me skeptical every time I buy. I'll PM you right now for that excel sheet. It'll be great to have something to base my experimenting on rather then hitting different voltages and hoping for the best.

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
Thanks for the suggestion,I'll look into finding a vendor with them in stock for sure. I hate how a lot of the quality products for PV's have so many knockoffs, it makes me skeptical every time I buy. I'll PM you right now for that excel sheet. It'll be great to have something to base my experimenting on rather then hitting different voltages and hoping for the best.

Try Canvape they are reliable

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Hey zubomb, not to step on the suggestions of others but what has worked quite well for me has been DIYing my e-liquid
with higher PG levels. Say 80pg-20vg. More flavour comes through.

And to combat the slightly muted flavour of my beloved stardust v3's I rewick them with cotton for more flavour and vapour.

Been working for me quite well, see....:vapor::vapor: Plumes!

Samyaza

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
London, ON
I don't find the flavour muted at all with my vivi or kangaroo t2s.

I think that this disconnect is actually juice related.

Some vendors (like Juggies) I have no problem tasting every nuance of the juice in my Vivis. When I tried another vendors juice, I started vaping it in my Vivis, then decided that I wanted to try it in a carto tank - no real reason, I just felt like it. It was really obvious how much the juice had been muted by the Vivis.

Seemed weird, so I put my fave Juggies into a carto, tasted pretty much the same as it does in my Vivi, couldn't tell the difference at all.

I have no explanation, but there do seem to be some juices that are muted in a Vivi, I also used to say they didn't mute flavour to any noticeable degree, but I guess they really can :/

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada
I have no explanation, but there do seem to be some juices that are muted in a Vivi, I also used to say they didn't mute flavour to any noticeable degree, but I guess they really can :/

I don't have a ViVi yet, (I said "yet" lol).... but I noticed this effect in my Stardust. I put in a juice I was quite familiar with, and couldn't figure out where the flavor went.

This isn't the first thread I've seen where folks talk about cotton wicks being better for preserving flavor. Really? Why? My concern with cotton is that it's a natural fibre prone to burning! If other wicks get too hot or dry, they brown a little, and as long as you didn't overdo it, you can rewet them, and vape through it.... the flavor comes back, all good. With cotton isn't scorching/burning a major concern? Or is this another one of the things where you "don't do this until you know what you are doing and won't screw up and let the wick dry out"

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Quote.........My concern with cotton is that it's a natural fibre prone to burning! If other wicks get too hot or dry, they brown a little, and as long as you didn't overdo it, you can rewet them, and vape through it.... the flavor comes back, all good. With cotton isn't scorching/burning a major concern? Or is this another one of the things where you "don't do this until you know what you are doing and won't screw up and let the wick dry out"...Quote.

I thought the same things...and no!
Cotton wicks very well, it stays wet.
The juice level is visible in a clearo.
Even at 5volts no problems, after breaking in at lower voltages.
Changing flavours? Put in a new wick after a dryburn.
So easy.
One 2 inch long wick can last me weeks.
I'll just move it over in the coil a bit when I clean the SD.(BETWEEN DRYBURNS)
The only downside I find is having to remove the wick for dryburning every week or two(or three).
Flavour actually improves with age. imo.

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
Yes ... the flavor can be muted in the Vivi. If you want more flavor from these units you need to change the wicking material to cotton yarn ,,, this is my experience. However cotton has it's own unique problems, one being 1 day max. using the same coil / wick.

The cotton is prone to burning so no dry burns. As long as the wick is kept wet they are okay.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
HitmeTwice: A cotton wick coil lasts you two weeks and you dry burn it? Wow, what the heck am I doing wrong? I use cotton yarn, not sure what the difference is between cotton yarn and cotton wicks ....

That's not what I wrote.
Cotton cannot be dryburned.:vapor::vapor:
But it can be replaced!
And yes, 2 weeks and more.(one flavour though)

zubomb

Jan 18, 2012
Halifax
I'd love to agree with projectguy, but I can't. You're already getting the best flavour with cartos, the only way you're going to improve the flavour any more is to start dripping. I have all the popular clearos (vivi nova 3.5, Stardust, Kanger T2), and the flavour is muted compared to cartos.

IMHO, you can't beat the flavour of a good drip, but it's a bit of a hassle to drip on a regular basis unless you get a bottom feeder.

I ordered the Nova along with a new drip tip and some attys. I tried dripping a few times and I found i would get hits with great blasts of flavour and occasionally get get hits that weren't so great at all. I tried experimenting to find an explanation for this but wasn't able to come to any conclusions. Is there a certain angle that I have to hold it? As far as dripping on the atty goes I've been pretty consistent.

VIPOD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
NB,Canada
Without getting into flow charts, with a vv device I'd suggest a standard atty and play with the voltage. 510's are great all round performers, while 306's are harder hits, 901’s w/a drip shield can create a better taste. Cisco is the brand I would recommend from avidvaper.

That being said, yes dripping is the best flavor/th experience, but I disagree on carto's winning over the vivi nova's. Tried all the carto's, high end to low end, it feels like you are vaping thru a sock. The 801 fusion is perhaps the only carto I'd still use in a tank setup today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread