Looking for sub ohm tank recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

8a31

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2011
Cincinnati, ohio
As the topic says I am looking for sub ohm tank recommendations. I have been vaping for about 6 or 7 years but haven't progressed as fast as the industry. It seems like all of the newer subohm tanks are tailored to cloud chasers or trying to compete with RTA's and RDA's. I would like to find a tank with prebuilt coils that has good flavor, adjustable airflow, holds 4-5ml of liquid but here is the part I am having problems with. I need it to have around .5-.8 ohm coils but usable at lower wattage (30-40). As a former smoker I like the warm fullness of the subohms and the capacity not to need to refill every hour.
My current setup has almost what I want but is still lacking. I am using an Aspire Triton V2 with .5 claptons at aprox 33-38 watts. The flavor is good but it only holds about 3ml of liquid. Sometimes the airflow is a little tight but not too bad.
I already have a Kanger subtank, Smok Baby beast (I dont like it at all - it eats coils up in 1-2 days), and most recently a Uwell Crown 3. The Crown 3 has the warmer vape and decent cloud production but it seems to be lacking flavor. I have to turn up the wattage to 65 on their .5's to make it a decent vape which of course shortens my battery life.
I have looked at the Super Tank, and Melo 3 that take the same Atlantis style coils as my Triton V2 but would like to know if there are any other recommendations.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Sounds like you are trying to dial in your best vape. I'm sure you will get suggestions on "I really like" tanks, that is what I/we use and like. But will you? SubΩ and 5ml or more is pretty easy. Clouds, flavor, warmth are very subjective and IMHO, it can be more a matter of give and take between them. Then add in different flavors with different make-ups.....well, you get the idea. With or without suggestions, it comes down to trial and error.

What sticks out to me is wanting better battery life. If it seems "short" to you staying at or under 40 watts, that sounds like a built in battery mod or single 18650. If so, it might serve you well to go with a dual 18650 mod first. Then, since you like it, you can run your Crown 3 at 65 watts for what should be all day. And if you want to try other subΩ tanks, you won't be limited on Ω's or wattage (for the most part).

And if you are already running a dual (or more) 18650 mod, I'll just wish you like on finding a tank that fills all your needs.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you don't like the Crown, I might suggest one of the Vapresso tanks that takes the EUC coil and maybe try the 0.5 coil, although really, tanks are as individual as the users that like them, it does sound like you are wanting sort of the "high" side of DL, only with more airflow? I think that type of tank may do the trick, although I can't say for certain if you will like it. I'm sure others will be along with more suggestions.

Anna

Reactions: Letitia

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
The MELO 2's, 3's and 4's work well for either DL or MTL.. I DL, the wife MTLs and we both use them .
You can get the EC coils in .3 or .5.. the EC2 coils are .3. There are other options available. EC coils are less expensive than aspire coils. They last a good while also.

I use them at 40 watts, wife uses them between 25 and 30 watts.

The MELO 2 is 4.5 ml, the 3's are 2 or 4 ml, the 4's are 2ml at 22 mm or 4.5 ml at 25mm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I already have a ... Uwell Crown 3. The Crown 3 has the warmer vape and decent cloud production but it seems to be lacking flavor. I have to turn up the wattage to 65 on their .5's to make it a decent vape which of course shortens my battery life.
I have the original Uwell Crown, which uses stainless steel or nickle coils. I am so happy with them (I have three) they have allowed me to retire my two RDA's because they match the flavor and vapor production. I never bothered "upgrading" to the Crown 2, 3, or Valarian tanks because I have the mindset, "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" mentality. I have also read mixed reviews of the three later tanks.

I've used all of the available coils for the Crown 1, and liked the 0.5 ohm SS the best. I vape at 30 - 40 watts, and get a full days use with a single Samsung30Q 3000mAh 15 amp battery in my JAC Vapour DNA75W.
images

The Crown 3 uses only kanthal wire coils, so that might possibly be a reason why your flavor seems muted.

Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I haven’t used the crown 3 but I’ve used the original crown for well over a year. I use the .5 coils at 40-50 watts and it gives me great flavor. The coils last a long time as well. Maybe your experience with the crown 3 has turned you off Uwell products but in my opinion the OG crown has the best flavor I’ve gotten from a sub ohm factory coil tank. Before the crown I used the triton tank and the crown has as good if not better flavor and an extra ml of capacity so it may be what your looking for. Good luck with your search and I hope whatever you choose works out for you.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Personally for the best flavor, battery life and a more personally tailored experience, one has to get in to a rebuildable. Doesn't mean you have to wrap coils as you can buy premade but it sure is cheaper. I'm mainly an RDA user and used to love the Atlantis tank V1 not 2. I tried a few tanks and hate the SMOK TFV anything, many love them though.

I'd suggest a VCMT2 but you have to build it yourself, no coil heads. I put flavor with it up there with my Twisted Messes rdas (v1 and squared). It does take practice with wicking it correctly but it's a great tank that can do flavor or clouds.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

VapNMirrors

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2015
currently, Earth
I'm using the 0.4Ohm SS Triton coils and TC. Awesome vape, spot on flavor and just the right balance of cloud and juice/power consumption. To get past the 3ml on the Triton tanks, I use an old Atlantis Mega. 5ml (but 30mm diameter). Lots of other tank options too. Crowns are decent but eat more juice/power and don't last nearly as long. This is my go to tank setup. Nothing newer is any better.

8a31

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2011
Cincinnati, ohio
What sticks out to me is wanting better battery life. If it seems "short" to you staying at or under 40 watts, that sounds like a built in battery mod or single 18650. If so, it might serve you well to go with a dual 18650 mod first.
You are right that I would love to keep decent battery life. My current mod is a Smok Majesty. I have been using Aliens since they came out but have killed 2 so far.
Until last week I had been using dual Sony VTC6's. Last week I received my latest order from Liion Wholesale of Samsung 30Q's. I am a heavy vaper so with the triton 2 I would get 6-8 hours at the 35 watts. With the Crown 3 I only get 4-6 hours before Im changing the batteries.

I haven’t used the crown 3 but I’ve used the original crown for well over a year. I use the .5 coils at 40-50 watts and it gives me great flavor. The coils last a long time as well.
For a moment I considered the orig. Crown but when I looked it up online I found mostly problems but maybe I should revisit that as an option.

it does sound like you are wanting sort of the "high" side of DL, only with more airflow?
Yes I am a Direct Lung vaper.

Personally for the best flavor, battery life and a more personally tailored experience, one has to get in to a rebuildable. Doesn't mean you have to wrap coils as you can buy premade but it sure is cheaper.
Years ago I would rebuild coils but it just became a chore. The choices were limited and the materials were not dialed in for vaping so I was constantly changing wicking and burning off the coil crust. Its a great way to go but it just left a "bad taste in my mouth" so to speak. I wasnt the best coil builder so consistency was not the greatest.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I don’t know what problems people are having with the crown. It don’t leak and the coils last a long time producing stellar flavor. I used the .5 coils almost exclusively and it was the only tank I’ve used for well over a year. I mean one and only so if it had problems I think I’d know about it. I’ve vetted this tank pretty well. There’s always a chance of a bad one but I’ve vaped since late 2012 and this is the best factory coil sub-ohm tank I’ve used.

PugLady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2012
Arnold Maryland
Someone else probably already said this but it depends on if you are a flavor chaser like me or a cloud chaser. I can only speak on the tank I have now and the flavor in it is anazing. I had the Prince but found it to be more of a cloud chasers tank. I now only use the Crown 3 at a low wattage with little air flow. The lower the airflow the more flavor and the less clouds, and vise-versa. Again I can only speak for my tanks but 1st I think it's important to know exactly what you want from a tank and searh from there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

PugLady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2012
Arnold Maryland
I have the original Uwell Crown, which uses stainless steel or nickle coils. I am so happy with them (I have three) they have allowed me to retire my two RDA's because they match the flavor and vapor production. I never bothered "upgrading" to the Crown 2, 3, or Valarian tanks because I have the mindset, "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" mentality. I have also read mixed reviews of the three later tanks.

I've used all of the available coils for the Crown 1, and liked the 0.5 ohm SS the best. I vape at 30 - 40 watts, and get a full days use with a single Samsung30Q 3000mAh 15 amp battery in my JAC Vapour DNA75W.
images

The Crown 3 uses only kanthal wire coils, so that might possibly be a reason why your flavor seems muted.
I LOVE the flavor in my crown 3 at 30w on a .25 coil with very lil airflow. It brings amazing flavor for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

8a31

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2011
Cincinnati, ohio
Just to update....
Like others, I love the crown 3 but I don't like restricting the airflow as much as it takes to drop the wattage. That's just my taste. I decided to try the Tobecco 25mm Super Tank. Because I already have plenty of coils to fit and the price was low enough that if I didn't like it I would not be out much.
It holds 5ml and has a lot of airflow. The flavor seems better than my Triton V2 even though they use the same coil. I cant say I like the top cap but overall I like the tank.
Right now I'm vaping at 33 watts on a .5 ohm coil.
I hope this gives some help to others who are looking.

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
Just to update....
Like others, I love the crown 3 but I don't like restricting the airflow as much as it takes to drop the wattage. That's just my taste. I decided to try the Tobecco 25mm Super Tank. Because I already have plenty of coils to fit and the price was low enough that if I didn't like it I would not be out much.
It holds 5ml and has a lot of airflow. The flavor seems better than my Triton V2 even though they use the same coil. I cant say I like the top cap but overall I like the tank.
Right now I'm vaping at 33 watts on a .5 ohm coil.
I hope this gives some help to others who are looking.

You can change the topcap...there are ss versions and also 510 adapters available at kanvape.com. I also use super tanks and have changed mine.

8a31

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2011
Cincinnati, ohio
with the magesty you may be able to get better performance with TC over watts with the ss coils.

You know, I have thought about trying the SS coils but never have. I may try to buy a couple on my next order to play around with them.

You can change the topcap...there are ss versions and also 510 adapters available at kanvape.com. I also use super tanks and have changed mine.

I saw they had replacements but didnt know how well they fit. Im just afraid im going to crack the tip. Im not a big fan of the plastic cap and tip combo but for $20 I cant be upset.

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
You know, I have thought about trying the SS coils but never have. I may try to buy a couple on my next order to play around with them.

I saw they had replacements but didnt know how well they fit. Im just afraid im going to crack the tip. Im not a big fan of the plastic cap and tip combo but for $20 I cant be upset.

I've cracked the original top cap so now use a metal one. Fits perfect.

For ss coils get the vaporesso euc...they are amazing, and last a while. Not so consistent in tc mode though.

$8.08 (Free Shipping) Authentic Vaporesso Ceramic EUC Coil Head (5-Pack) (Ceramic EUC, 0.5ohm, 5-Pack (w/ sleeve)) at m.FastTech.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread