Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    According to this calculator

If you have 1 gallon of 70x/30y (1 gallon= 3,785ml)

And you want to turn that whole gallon into 80x/20y

You will need to add roughly 1,900ml of x to your 70x/30y gallon to make it 80x/20y.

This will turn your gallon into about 5,685ml of combined liquid (which is the same as 1.5 gallons)

vhqQNla.png

If you want to play it safe and do only a small batch first first, then you can make 15ml batch.

Take 10ml of your 70x/30y
    Add 5ml of x
    Your end result will be 15ml of 80x/20y

EaeLEHO.png

nemesis88

May 20, 2021
    Ok guys now I'm messed up. Here's the deal, I've been ordering 80/20 ready to flavor for 2 years. He ran out so I ordered 70/30. As soon as I started using the 70/30 I got this mad itch in my throat that doesn't go away. Thats why I figured get it to 80/20 where I was fine with. It's always been 6mg nic btw. Should I add pg or vg to get to 80/20

Shadav

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 4, 2013
    Westfield, IN, USA
    thehelpline.info
    Ok guys now I'm messed up. Here's the deal, I've been ordering 80/20 ready to flavor for 2 years. He ran out so I ordered 70/30. As soon as I started using the 70/30 I got this mad itch in my throat that doesn't go away. Thats why I figured get it to 80/20 where I was fine with. It's always been 6mg nic btw. Should I add pg or vg to get to 80/20
    what does the bottle say? 80vg/20pg or 80pg/20vg
    my guess would be it's 80vg/20pg but honestly without seeing the bottle couldn't say for sure.
    But typically higher pg = more throat hit/irritation
    so you'd want to add more vg not pg but there again without seeing what the label says, we're all just guessing here...
    but educated guess is that it's 80vg not 80pg....
    can you show us a pic of the bottle(s) or a link to where you bought them from?

Reactions: Izan

nemesis88

May 20, 2021
    The proration above doesn't work.
    Bottom line 70/30 bothers me 80/20 doesn't so which do I add lmao. I'm screwing myself upp.nf

LOL. I bought 70 VG 30 PG. I was vaping 80 VG 20 PG with no issues
    The proration above doesn't work.

If you are starting with 2 gallons at 70%, you have 1.4 gallons of VG and 0.6 gallons of PG. Total =2 gallons
    1.4/2 = 0.7 or 70%

If you add a quart of VG, or 0.25 gallons
    You'll have 1.4 + 0.25 = 1.65 gallons of VG and 0.6 gallons of PG 1.65+0.6 = 2.25 gallons total
    1.65/2.25 = 73.3% VG

I put this into a spread sheet and by trial and error got that you need to add 1 gallon of VG.
    You'll have 1.4 + 1 = 2.4 gallons of VG and 0.6 gallons of PG. Total = 3 gallons
    2.4/3 =80% VG.

This calculation is based on volume rather than weight. I think that these calculations are usually based on volume.

That's a lot of juice. The nicotine content will go down considerably too. That would be a more complicated calculation. I could do it for you tonight if you want. I'm supposed to be working now.

The board doesn't allow me to upload a spreadsheet. Here's an image of it
    View attachment 942413
    Wow thanks so much! I appreciate your time helping me!

If you are starting with 2 gallons at 70%, you have 1.4 gallons of VG and 0.6 gallons of PG. Total =2 gallons
    1.4/2 = 0.7 or 70%

If you add a quart of VG, or 0.25 gallons
    You'll have 1.4 + 0.25 = 1.65 gallons of VG and 0.6 gallons of PG 1.65+0.6 = 2.25 gallons total
    1.65/2.25 = 73.3% VG

I put this into a spread sheet and by trial and error got that you need to add 1 gallon of VG.
    You'll have 1.4 + 1 = 2.4 gallons of VG and 0.6 gallons of PG. Total = 3 gallons
    2.4/3 =80% VG.

This calculation is based on volume rather than weight. I think that these calculations are usually based on volume.

That's a lot of juice. The nicotine content will go down considerably too. That would be a more complicated calculation. I could do it for you tonight if you want. I'm supposed to be working now.

The board doesn't allow me to upload a spreadsheet. Here's an image of it
    View attachment 942413
    Wow

Shadav

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 4, 2013
    Westfield, IN, USA
    thehelpline.info
    Bottom line 70/30 bothers me 80/20 doesn't so which do I add lmao. I'm screwing myself upp.nf

LOL. I bought 70 VG 30 PG. I was vaping 80 VG 20 PG with no issues
    ok well then that answers my above question

you want to add more vg, not pg....adding more pg would only cause more irritation....
    again typically
    higher pg = more throat hit/irritation
    higher vg = smoother but can sometimes cause a sort of heavy feeling/congestion....

nemesis88

May 20, 2021
    ok well then that answers my above question

you want to add more vg, not pg....adding more pg would only cause more irritation....
    again typically
    higher pg = more throat hit/irritation
    higher vg = smoother but can sometimes cause a sort of heavy feeling/congestion....
    Right more vg ok i thought so. Thanks!

Shadav

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 4, 2013
    Westfield, IN, USA
    thehelpline.info
    also as I mentioned before if these contain nicotine in them, that could also be part of the irritation if you are using higher nic then you are used to if it's freebase nic, so keep that in mind as well

I highly suggest you get a good ejuice calculator if you plan on continuing to do diy
    I like this one: Juice Calculator

just to reiterate
    some things to keep in mind
    typically higher pg = more throat hit/irritation
    typically higher vg = less throat hit but can cause a sort of heavy feeling/conjestion
    typically higher freebase nic then you are used to = more harsh and usually has a peppery taste to it (and can make you sick)

remember that when adding flavorings to your base you are also adding pg and/or vg to the mix as flavorings are in pg or vg, typically pg unless otherwise marked
    same goes for when adding nic as most nic is in pg unless otherwise marked

if your premixed base already has nicotine in it, adding more pg/vg/flavoring will dilute the nicotine, how much depends on how much you dilute the base premix (if it has nic in it, you didn't mention that it does so assuming that it doesn't)

some people have reactions/allergic to pg
    more uncommonly but some people have reactions to vg

typically pg is thinner, more like water
    typically vg is thicker, more like honey
    if you find your juice to be too thick and are having wicking issues you can add a drop or two of distilled water to your tank to help thin the juice back out.

feel free to post in the DIY E-Liquid forums if you have any other questions.

Best of luck.
    See ya 'round

Reactions: Ed Brown

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
    Sep 29, 2019
    North-Central PA (flyover country)
    UncleJunkle, you and I got the same answer. Your 1900 ml is equal to half a gallon. You can look it up.
    This amount of VG gets added to each gallon of his juice. He has two gallons and I said add one gallon of VG. Same thing!

So nemesis88, whatever size batch you do, if you are starting with X units, add 0.5X units of VG.

Now going from 2 gallons to 3 gallons will reduce your nicotine from 6 mg to 4 mg. So it's either that, or get used to what you have.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    UncleJunkle, you and I got the same answer. Your 1900 ml is equal to half a gallon. You can look it up.
    This amount of VG gets added to each gallon of his juice. He has two gallons and I said add one gallon of VG. Same thing!

You're probably right. I decided to post a link to a calculator and screenshots because they're purdy. Regardless, the thread was screwed from post #1. :lol:

• Agree
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread