Status
Not open for further replies.

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
So, I just received the last flavor I needed to make a recipe I've been wanting to try, and now I realize that I read the recipe wrong ... I thought it called for TFA Marshmallow (which I have), but it's actually FA Marshmallow (which I don't). If you've tried both, do you think there's a significant difference? I'm trying to decide whether to wait until I make another flavor order, or go ahead with the TFA Marshmallow as a sub. Here's the recipe:

ELEMENT Pink Lemonade clone (My ADV) by micah, at ELR

1.5% Key Lime (TPA)
3% Lemonade (Flavorah)
2% Lime Tahity (Cold Pressed) (FA)
1% Marshmallow (FA)
1% Super Sweet (CAP)
2% Sweet Strawberry (CAP)
2% Sweet Tangerine (CAP)
1% Vanilla Swirl (TPA)

I know it's just 1%, but since FlavourArt is usually more concentrated, I was thinking it probably accounts for more taste difference than another brand might at 1%.

Reactions: ceeceeisme

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
I agree that it probably won't make much of a difference using TFA rather than FA in this instance but I personally prefer FA Marshmallow. I feel it is a little stronger potency wise and it is also DAP free unlike TFA Marshmallow, if that is a concern for you.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on this recipe when you get a chance. Is there a recommended steep period for it?

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I hope it's ok if I post this question here, as it's about CAP (but still Marshmallow [emoji4]). Do you know what, if any, difference is between these 2 (other than that 1 is repackaged)?
f9778a423de3b5c0b468f2f4918e7216.jpg

Reactions: tazzle

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
I hope it's ok if I post this question here, as it's about CAP (but still Marshmallow [emoji4]). Do you know what, if any, difference is between these 2 (other than that 1 is repackaged)?

Apparently they had to reformulate that flavor ... found this note below regarding the change:

“Due to popular demand and unavailable resources we have been forced to reformulate our original Marshmallow flavor concentrate. Tahitian Vanilla is now in high demand due to a global shortage which has driven $$ pricing $$ through the roof.

In order to keep our flavor concentrate competitive we have used alternative compounds to formulate the Marshmallow flavor concentrate. In addition, diketones have not been used in the production of this flavor concentrate. Enjoy!! “

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Apparently they had to reformulate that flavor ... found this note below regarding the change:

“Due to popular demand and unavailable resources we have been forced to reformulate our original Marshmallow flavor concentrate. Tahitian Vanilla is now in high demand due to a global shortage which has driven $$ pricing $$ through the roof.

In order to keep our flavor concentrate competitive we have used alternative compounds to formulate the Marshmallow flavor concentrate. In addition, diketones have not been used in the production of this flavor concentrate. Enjoy!! “

Thank you! I wonder if it will taste a lot different?

Reactions: NGAHaze

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thank you! I wonder if it will taste a lot different?
As you appear to have both in hand; I am hoping you will be able to tell us! ;):D

Try mixing up the same recipe (one you are familiar with) twice; one using the old version, the second using the new. Do not make any other adjustments. Do a side-by-side comparison and let us know what you think. I, for one, would love to hear your opinion. :D

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
Thanks, I'm looking forward to hearing your results. :)

First Impression, just after mixing: Whoa, this is awesome!

It's supposed to sit at least a day, and rec steeping is a week, but I always try things right away to see how they change after steeping. However, I didn't bother to start with a fresh tank or set up a dripper, because I just wanted to get a quick first impression and I'm lazy.

But sometimes lazy is a good thing! I used an empty tank (KF Mini 3) that I had previously been vaping some Claire's Coconut Cream Pie, and at the very least I can say that (for me anyway) this is absolutely fantastic as an S&V with a touch of the coconut cream pie*. :p

So, now after getting well past the (delightful!) lingering flavor contribution of the earlier juice, I'll say that I expected it to be much harsher at first, but it's already smoother than I expected, and it's exactly the sort of flavor I anticipated and hoped for: bright, fresh complex citrus with a slight creaminess infused with a light eau de vanille. What totally surprises me is some lovely faint spiciness. Where is that coming from? It's super nice, though mysterious. I'll have to see if that's still there with a totally fresh tank and wick.

As usual with the TFA Key Lime, it's fairly prominent right now, but still just lovely, not too intrusive, and I'm very curious to see how it will be when that settles down. But this is definitely good as a shake and vape for me. What I wanted, and what I'm getting here is a distinct taste profile, rather than the sort of samey muddled juicyfruit gum flavor that so many fruit mixes turn out to be.

I made 30ml, and if anyone wants to try out the recipe, I'd just say start with no more than that (unless you go through a lot of juice) since the diy lemon-flavor-muting problem means that lemon-forward recipes often lose their ooomph after steeping a while. This one may not have that problem with the heavy lime contribution, however.

Anyway, already officially Very Very Very Pleased with this. Will update after some steepage.

* I think I will definitely be trying this mixed with a bit of Claire's Coconut Cream Pie on the regular. If you are interested in the CCCP just search google to find that recipe. The Devon Cream she uses is a UK flavor, but US people can find it at OSDIY (or check the comments in the recipe for a possible substitution; it's a very heavy, thick cream flavor). I do end up mixing CCCP into a lot of juices when I want to add a little spicy creaminess. It's sort of a universal mixer to me because it works with so many flavor profiles: fruits, bakery, tobacco/ry4.

Last edited:

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
Oh, I should add: tootlepuffing, 3 mg nic, and 50/50 pg/vg here, so other setups and bases may return different results, and of course there's the individual palate issue. Still I feel fairly optimistic that for most people who feel intrigued by this recipe, it will probably be a thing they will like! :)

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
First Impression, just after mixing: Whoa, this is awesome!

Thank You for the detailed review, it sounds great. I was wondering if the Lime might be a little pronounced at first but as you mentioned, it should mellow with a little age.

I'm missing one of the main flavors right now ( FLV Lemonade ) otherwise I'd definitely mix this one up this weekend.
upload_2017-8-25_16-45-54.gif

Looks like another flavor order is in my not so distant future, lol.

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
I'm missing one of the main flavors right now ( FLV Lemonade ) otherwise I'd definitely mix this one up this weekend. View attachment 681653

Looks like another flavor order is in my not so distant future, lol.

Aye, that was the one that was holding me up, too! :D

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
As you appear to have both in hand; I am hoping you will be able to tell us! ;):D

Try mixing up the same recipe (one you are familiar with) twice; one using the old version, the second using the new. Do not make any other adjustments. Do a side-by-side comparison and let us know what you think. I, for one, would love to hear your opinion. :D

Ok, will do! [emoji4]

Reactions: IDJoel

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
So, having this now, about 5-6 days later, and ... I love it. It's perfect for what I wanted, though I could see posssssibly adding a bit more vanilla.

HOWEVER. I've tried it every day since I made it, and every day after the initial tasting I was disappointed -- until today. And I don't know if it's the juice, or my flavor receptors. To me it lost that interesting slightly spicy aspect by the second day, and it never returned until today. By the third or fourth day, I felt like it was only going to be something that I would like freshly mixed. The citrus (esp the lime) calmed down, but not in a way I liked. It seemed too subdued and bland compared to the first-day tasting, yet now, right this minute, it tastes gorgeous.

But maybe I'll try it tomorrow and it will be just kind of lemonlime-ish "meh" again, I don't know! If I could freeze it right now, I would. Or freeze my tastebuds for this one juice. :p

I have the feeling that the Capella Sweet Tangerine is the driver behind the slightly exotic (what I've called "spicy") hint that really brings it over the top ... when I'm picking that up. I'm tasting with the same parameters (tank, ohms, wattage) as the first day, so I'll have to see if it's more about the state of my tastebuds, or if this will remain reliable with this juice at this point! Will update.

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Hi @tazzle. I was going to modify this recipe a little after reading micah's notes, since I'm missing the FLV Lemonade and CAP Sweet Tangerine. I was all set up yesterday to substitute FA's Lemon Sicily and Tanger (Mandarin), when my eye caught my relatively untried bottle of INW Shisha Lemon. Also I spied its partners Shisha Lime, Shisha Orange, Shisha Strawberry and Shisha Vanilla. So I ended up doing a Polish version:

Shisha Slurpee <-- tentative name, since I feel I may want some Koolada in this later.
0.5% Cactus (INAWERA)
2.5% Lemon Shisha (INAWERA)
1.5% Lime Shisha (INAWERA)
0.75% Orange Shisha (INAWERA)
1% Strawberry Shisha (INAWERA)
0.5% Sweetener (Sucralose) (TPA)
0.75% Vanilla Shisha (INAWERA)
Flavor total: 7.5%

I went with INW Cactus instead of FA Marshmallow because I've been vaping my Cactus tester lately and it's got a full juicy mouthfeel that seemed like it'd work well here. It might need some tuning, but the day-old bottle has a nice bright smell, sweet (it probably didn't need the Sweetener) and a little spicy (maybe an "incense" vibe, @IDJoel?). I'll try it out on the weekend. I think I'll also do the modified ELEMENT clone I skipped, just to see.

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
Oh, very cool! :thumbs: I'm so curious to hear your results!

I'm vaping micah's recipe right now, and it's tasting really good. I'm giving this one a final thumbs up, and adding to the "will probably want to always have some on hand" list. I think I will add a smidge of regular vanilla next time, either Vanilla Shisha, or FA Madagascar, because I feel like I want just a little more of that note.

@ChelsB, did you get a chance to compare your two Capella Marshmallows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread