Maxi Roughstack V2 or Variable Voltage Box Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ditc

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
I've been surfing around your site (and this forum), trying to make a decision on either the Maxi Roughstack V2 or Variable Voltage Box mod. To sum it up briefly, I've been vaping for over 2 years now. Mainly on 3.7v kr808's, and 510 ego clones. Most of the voltage on any of the things i've used has been 3.7v, or possibly 5v on a passthru? But not even sure. My main intent is to find something with higher voltage for a low price, to try out and see how I like it. I see that both roughstack and the vv box mod offer higher voltages, upwards of 6 and 7v. My main concern is less that i can tweak something between let's say, 5.2v and 5.6v,,, but more that i can actually have something that can provide a higher voltage in general. That being said, what would be better for me? Which one of these is more durable? Which have you guys been happier with? What is the cutoff (if any) with either of these units? Is there something in particular (aside from the unit's form, or obviously the fact that one can be fine tuned with voltage) that makes one of these units better or worse than the other? thanks so much in advance!

dale1962

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Charlotte,NC
Ditc I have both the VV box mod and the MaxiRS V2 and they are both great for the $ with that said if you want one for durability you can't beat the MaxiRS you can about run over it with a truck and it will still work...also you can use it at 3.7v,5v,6v,7.4v and MV has all the batt configuration for that (when there in stock jk hoog).Here again with the vv boxes you can do all them voltages also and are great powerhouses for a little mod.I like them both but if want durability and can only get 1 right now I would go with the RS.Forgot to add no cutoffs on either unit but want have to worry about that at higher voltages u want need or be able to take a longer drag than about 5 secs.

Last edited:

wolfstone5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2010
Somerset, Pennsylvania
Most of the chargers will work with the exception of the 4.8 NihM charger which is specifically made for 4.8 volt NihM battery cell. As for which battery manufacturer is best, that would be a matter of opinion. I believe that they are all pretty much the same and each of the manufacturers makes different quality batteries. Some batteries have a better reputation than others and it would reflect in their respective reviews. Also, you may want to check out high drain batteries at some point. They work really well with low resistant atty's and cartos. Unfortunately, MadVapes doesn't carry them at this time so you would have to seek them out elsewhere.

ditc

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
are the high drain ones the aw imr 14500's that people talk about? i've been looking around... thanks in advance! anyone else have both of these units? i'm leaning toward the variable voltage box mod only because then i can just get one size battery, and adjust the voltage on the fly... plus, i'm not so sure how much i'd love the button on the top of the roughstack, as opposed to on the side as i'm used to with manual batteries... i notice the vv box has only a 30 day warranty as opposed to the roughstack with a 3 month warranty.. are these box mods known to fail, or can you guys get a long time of usage out of them? thanks so much again in advance!

dale1962

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Charlotte,NC
That's the right high drain batts(RTD VAPOR & SUPER T sale them) for a box mod now MV also have 14500 in trustfire's & ultrafire's....as far as the longevity of the box mods I have had several for months with no issues still working great,but keep in mind if you drop them not going to be as forgiving as MaxiRS.Also you get use to the switch on the RS I use my thumb or my index finger.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I've had trouble with the protection circuits on both the trustfires and ultrafires that madvapes sells in that VV box. You really need to get some AW IMRs for that.

As for the choice between the VV and the roughstack, that's kind of an apples and oranges comparison. There's no way that VV box is going to hold up like the roughstack. However most VV mods are a LOT more expensive than that VV box. So, if you want to try out VV, go with the box. If you want a mod that will last but, has limited voltage possibilities, go with the roughstack.

ditc

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
also, does anyone know if the aw 14500 imr batteries will fit in the box mod without any alterations or adjustments? it sounds like these aw 14500 batteries would be the best battery for the box mod if i'm looking for usage with low resistance atomizers and cartomizers, as well as the best for not making the box mod cut off from safety/protection etc... would this be correct? thanks so much!

manifestgtr

Mar 27, 2011
lowell mass
sorry to resurrect a week old thread but I just ordered the vv box and I'm so stoked man

this is my first venture into vv after a year or so with my inferno and from all the stuff Ive heard, think I'm really gonna dig it

thanks a bunch to madvapes for putting together an affordable vv unit for guys like me who aren't exactly rolling in dough but want to try new e cigarette technology

if this thing works even half as well as the 3.7 box I got from you guys, I'll be satisfied yet again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread