Mechanical Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapor Fiend

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2009
Cali4nia
Hopefully this will gain some momentum and end up being a good thread for info about mechanicals. I'll start it off with a couple of questions that I have.

I have a design in mind. Already drawn up some dimensioned technical drawings and everything. But I have a couple of questions.

1. When it comes to the switch, what needs to touch what? By that I mean, does the button have to be connected to the connection that touches the battery? Or is that a bad idea altogether? Like would a person be shocked if it were set up that way?

2. What materials (metals) are best and for what. I have some pretty exotic metals at my work that I have plenty of scrap of. Some I'm not sure if they would be good or bad for a mechanical mod.

3. When designing the tube, what's the best way to go about determining the length? Common sense tells me to design a cap and switch / switch housing first, then assemble it all fully sans tube and measure to come up with a good length for a tube. (For 350 to 650 if telescoping)

I have this stuff called 17-4 Steel. It has some slight magnetism to it. Would this be bad as the housing for the switch, the tube, or the 510 connection cap?

We also have Beryllium Bronze, Oil-Impregnated BRNG Brongze SAE-841, Copper, and Brass. My question is would Bronze be ok to use for the connection pieces?

These are just a couple things that I've been wondering about as my research and development is rolling on for my mech build. I've already gotten a good look at some mechs now, and have some pretty good ideas flowing in my mind and on paper as to how to build this mech.

P.S., it'd be great if there were a mechanical sub-forum in the modding forum ;)

Last edited:

Vapor Fiend

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2009
Cali4nia
Well the point of this thread was to generate a multitude of answers from the people who have done this type of stuff before. A basic thread that would get a chance to pick the brains of the OG's of mech builds. The reason I presented my questions in that way that they are is because I know they generate more of an answer when presented in such a way.

You're right though. I could benefit from some electrical training. But so could I from a thread such as this. If people answered.

I have been doing this research for months now. Google has exhausted itself. It can only be used so much. I'm not trying to get the quick free silly answers. I want the answers from the real machinists that have done this before. Maybe I'm in the wrong section if I'm getting smart ... answers, but still. I'm not going to stop asking.

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
I have no idea how to help you as it's beyond my know how. Just to encourage you. Keep at it and don't be discouraged if you don't get the responses you hoped for.

You will also hear this a lot, "Safety first. Know your batteries.............and so on and so forth".

Hope you find the answers and help you seek. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread