Status
Not open for further replies.

MJMcMahon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Boise, ID, USA
Hi all -

I did some work on my Private 2 Mechanical and I think I may have made a critical error. The actuator button on the bottom was easily unscrewed and would unscrew far enough to prevent the lockout nut from locking out the actuator. What I did was to apply some loc-tite (blue) to the threads of the actuator button and twist it into place. Two things are now happening:

1.) While the actuator has a much shorter throw, sometimes the connection doesn't fire.
2.) Sometimes when the actuator does fire, the spring doesn't push it back out enough to disconnect it.

Unfortunately, I can no longer adjust the screw because of the loc-tite. I tried loosening the loc-tite by heating it but I'm having difficulty getting a good enough grip on the two ends, especially when it's hot. The negative post is flat, as is the exterior. Any suggestions on another way to break up the loc-tite so I can take another swing at this?

Thx,

Mike

MJMcMahon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Boise, ID, USA
Thanks for the advice, guys. I tried acetone earlier but I'm not sure there was enough of it in the bottom of the glass to soak the necessary parts. I'm re-filling now :)

Barton -

any suggestions on addressing the issue with too much adjustment in the actuator without using loc-tite? I understand the necessity of cleaning now, but if the actuator is continually unscrewing to a point where I can't use the lockout nut doesn't that pose other hazards?

Thanks,

Mike

bikini_kill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2013
Oklahoma City, OK USA
To go against the grain here, you can (and I do) use Loctite on mods, but there are two very important things to keep in mind:

1. Choose your Loctite flavor wisely:
    I recommend Loctite 222 (purple). Here's the TDS on it.
    Loctite 222 (purple) is their lowest strength metal threadlocker. Loctite 242 (blue) is significantly stronger, and since these parts are so tiny and we do need to remove them fairly often, it's not a good choice as you are experiencing.
  2. Don't use too much:
    A dab'll do ya'. Seriously.
    If you use too much, disassembly will be more difficult. Also, this stuff isn't electrically conductive, so if you put too much on there you can negatively affect the conductivity of your mod.

Do you have any of those thin gripper pads that help with unscrewing jars? If you place them between the jaws of your pliers and your part, that could give you some additional friction. People also use rubber bands for this.

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Is loctite a glue,if not,i cant see any reason why ya cant take apart the Mod.
Loctite is indeed a glue specifically designed to lock down metal parts with threaded connections.

Mike - I have no idea what the inside of you switch looks like. If you can post a good clear pic of the switch, we may be able to offer better suggestions on how to apply heat and how to get a grip on the parts.

MJMcMahon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Boise, ID, USA
jasl90 -

here's the pics...any suggestions greatly appreciated, although I have to admit I'm not confident that there's a way to recover from this one.

Exterior of switch. Switch is the button at bottom
20130722_220615.jpg

Interior of switch. Negative terminal is at center
20130722_220636.jpg

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Just thinking through it...
You used the blue which is made to be broken free mechanically (with out heat) but it sounds like that isn't happening.
The Red formula is the one that is supposed to require heat. That said, I'd assume that that heat will work on the blue too...

Looking into the tube, I don't see any plastic parts. That's good, it means you should be able to apply heat without destroying anything....

I'd say you have a few options depending on what you have available...
#1 I think you're going to need some heat.
#2 You'll need a way of handling the parts while they're hot.

If you have a hot air gun with a nozzle, I'd go with that as a first choice. Failing that, I'd stick it in an oven at 450 degrees F (I think that's the temp for red... Double check the website) until it reaches temperature.

Have good oven mitts or silicone pads and your tools ready. A sink full or water and long sleeves would be a good idea too...

Once the switch is to temp you'll need to be VERY careful. A chunk of metal that size has a lot of thermal mass. At that temperature, I'm guessing it will cause a 3rd degree burn in less than a second and a trip to the ER costs way more than a new mod.

Practice the motions with mitts and tools before you heat anything up. You don't want to be fumbling around while its hot. Get all the fumbling out of the way with a few practice sessions first.

MJMcMahon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Boise, ID, USA
Thanks for the suggestions jasl90, but I think I'm going to just chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. I'd tried loosening it by heating the switch assembly with my butane torch but still came up empty. Even if I were able to separate the two parts, I would wonder about how well it would function now that I've chewed up the button with my failed attempts to separate it using pliers. As you've pointed out, a trip to the ER costs way more than a new mod.

Thanks all for the suggestions,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread