The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Military Intelligence

Discussion in 'Armed Services Forum' started by JLOT02, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. JLOT02

JLOT02 Full Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Oahu
    Half the analogue smokers in my unit are now vaping. Fourteen in all. CSM on Friday put out a policy that there is no vaping in the offices. Furthermore. All vaping will be done at the smokepit.

CSM and I had a chat. I understand he has the ear of the CG but making vapers vape with the smokers defeats the purpose for those who have made the switch.

It's good to be an O-4 and CSM is quite reasonable. Sadly. He won't budge on office spaces but any external place is acceptable.

We will see how big Army comes down as it becomes more and more common.

Cheers.

2. hawley

hawley Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2013
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Right now I'm the only one in my unit that vapes, but I've got a lot of the guys pretty interested in it. I actually enjoy being outside with the rest of the guys as it garners a lot of questions and hopefully fosters an environment I can get people to make the switch. We have a couple of other guys trying to go cold turkey, but we have an exercise coming up where it'll really test the whole quit smoking thing.

Anyone else have experiences of vaping out in the field? I should have access to my vehicle at all times where I can recharge my batts, but don't know how my juices and batts are going to take the April weather. Kind of scared of going back to analogs while in the field...

3. JLOT02

JLOT02 Full Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Oahu
    That's a great point Hawley. Haven't had the field challenge yet.

Fortunately I am in a branch (aviation) that never goes anywhere without access to AC current.

I find we are the best marketing tool of the vape army.

4. JLOT02

JLOT02 Full Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Oahu
    Perhaps there is a solar battery charger out there for purchase.

5. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2013
    Oregon
    There are. Last one I saw specifically for eGo type batts was kinda expensive. Maybe a regular ole solar USB charger?

Who knows? Might not even be his decision to make.

6. dam718

dam718 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 30, 2012
    Hawaii
    JLOT02, are you here at Schofield Barracks?

My neighbor and his wife are both Blackhawk pilots over there. Couldn't tell ya their last name, hehe... Kyle and Bree is all I know...

Maybe you know them?

Anyway...

At Pearl Harbor most of the Command Master Chiefs are putting out the same guidance. I don't know for sure but I think it's coming from a higher level... I'm a civilian now, but still fairly in tune with the upper chain of command for all the submarine squadrons and fleet commanders out here. I have heard the guidance on vaping was brought down from Navy Region Hawaii... You and I both know how assuming goes... That said, I assume that guidance may be a slowly trickling down DOD wide policy. I have heard rumors hinting to that effect.

If that's the case, no amount of bartering with your CSM is going to cause a change of heart... Even if you are a Major :)

There is also some pending legislature here in Hawaii, two bills which were approved for state house and senate votes (one passed Monday and the other just yesterday...), that will classify e-cigs as a tobacco product, and govern their use with the same laws in effect for traditional tobacco cigarettes... Examples being, no smoking in indoor public facilities, no smoking within 25 feet of the entrance of a building, etc... Basically restricting their public use to approved smoking areas...

It could just be that the regional commanders out here see the writing on the wall, and they are just getting their soldiers and sailors in line with upcoming law changes...

Who knows... It's all pretty silly... Fear mongers...

7. JLOT02

JLOT02 Full Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Oahu
    Nutz

I am at Shafter. Welcome your aviator neighbors back for me. I'm not going to let the new legislation deter my cessation plan. I hope others don't switch back to analogs due to price too. Though I got mine from the volcano store there are still some great online resources.

You are spot on RE writing on the wall. Just wish the local elected leaders saw the benefits of vaping.

Cheers

8. dam718

Dec 30, 2012
    Hawaii
    No doubt about that... The fine folks at Volcano seemed pretty stoked about the decisions made... Both the house and senate bills were approved to get sent up for a vote "with ammendments." Based on their excitement, I assume those ammendments are related to eCigs being considered a tobacco product.

Perhaps there are a few of them that aren't so bad after all :)

Have a great weekend, Major

9. JLOT02

JLOT02 Full Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Oahu
    Dam178, had a warranty issue with my lavatube yesterday so visited the fine folks at Volcano. I can never get past the lines.

Ordered from Virgin Vapors and after trying their wares I will not use Volcanos juice anymore. Let me know if you find a stellar vendor out there. VV takes about a week from order to delivery to HI

10. dam718

Dec 30, 2012
    Hawaii
    I go to the store at Pearl Ridge, it's always insane there, maybe once I have gone there and not had to wait 30+ minutes to get taken care of... Happy that business is good though...

They're opening up a Vapor Lounge a couple of blocks from my house here in Ewa, hopefully it won't be so crowded in there to get anything...

I've been getting juice from Heather's Heavenly Vapes... Same issues, because they mix to order it takes about a week to get it filled. I also do some DIY juices, but I only have one recipe that's good at all... A Peaches and Cream recipe... Everything else I've attempted to do has been just so-so...

Check the juice sections of the Forum... And the juice reviews at tasteyourjuice.com, there is a spreadsheet there with pricing info. I'm sure the vendors that have their juices ready to go all the time can get it here very fast. It just doesn't seem as boutique as a vendor that mixes it to your specifications.

I hear great things about Mt Baker Vaper, Alice in Vapeland, Alien Visions (Home of Boba's Bounty), and obviously I like Heather's Heavenly Vapes. Any of those vendors may take a while, but you're going to get a fantastic juice from any of them...

Oh yeah... I'm a civilian now... You can call me Dave... LoL

11. JLOT02

JLOT02 Full Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Oahu
    Dave (now)

Thanks for the input. Always looking for something new. Vaping a delectable root beer float presently. I live in Ocean Point so I too am waiting for them to unscrew their permit issue in Ewa. Maybe I'll see you there.

You can call me Jeff. Major is my stage name.

12. dam718

Dec 30, 2012
    Hawaii
    Hah, nice... I'm also in Ocean Point...

Looks to be a nice place they're putting up, once they get everything worked out...

I just made up a DIY Apple Candy... It's got a bit of a twang to it... Tart... Good throat hit... good stuff...

13. JLOT02

JLOT02 Full Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Oahu
    3 more in the unit started vaping while I was on leave. Me thinks the Chinese were on to something.

14. DHumberson

DHumberson Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I also have to vape by the smoke pit. Several members of my unit smoke and it brings up conversation. A few are getting into the idea of vaping especially since we are headed to Afghanistan later this year. Has anyone tried vaping in the field? As for in garrison it has been put out that vaping is considered a tobacco product by the Army, therefor not allowed in Government buildings. Now depending on who is around it is allowed along with smokeless tobacco.

4 years US Army Engineer Corp. 12N 12W Essayons

15. Mortificant

Mortificant Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 19, 2013
    United States
    Any idea on when the Ewa location is opening? I go to the kapahulu one every now and then, but it'd be nice to not have to fight Honolulu traffic if I want to chill out or pick up a couple of odd necessities

16. CrossXFire

CrossXFire Full Member Verified Member

Feb 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Also the only one in my unit. Once my stuff comes in i will show it around and convert some friends hopefully. I asked about E-Cig policies during an airmans call with our wing commander and the cheif and they were like "Uhhh well we are not really sure how they work so we will have to get back to you on that" It was kind of amusing.

17. malus_rex

malus_rex Full Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Maryland
    Vaping was actually banned from all Government buildings when Obama signed his tobacco act in 2009, although few people seem to be aware of it. It is unlikely any command will expressly allow it. It's good to hear your CSM was reasonable about the smoke pit rule. I had a CSM try to pull that one and I had to go to the command. I argued that it was unreasonable to force non-smokers to stand in the smoke pit and defeated the purpose of having a designated area, and my DCO at the time agreed, now e-cigarettes can be used anywhere outside and away from doorways. This was during my last deployment.

I was the first person in my unit to start smoking, and now there is only 1 (out of 6 smokers) person left on my team and 4 (out of a dozen) in the unit who have not switched.

18. malus_rex

malus_rex Full Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Maryland
    Oh, also, in my current deployment I vape at my desk. I talked to my OIC about it and as long as it doesn't bother anyone else it doesn't bother him. At home, I don't vape in the office unless no one is around. Both my civilian chief and my military team lead are aware that I use it when no one is around and don't have a problem with it.

Out here I work in close quarters with 4 civilians in my office and my vaping doesn't bother any of them.

19. Maglin

Maglin Full Member Verified Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Wichita, KS
    I know for a fact that certain Ops Floors have people chain vaping away. I haven't been told that I have to go outside to the smoking area but I do out of common courtesy. It looks to much like smoking to bother trying to explain myself to everyone. I'm pretty sure the 2009 Obama tobacco legislation doesn't count non nicotine products. There are vapers out there that don't use nicotine anymore. I don't know how you could say a product that has nothing to do with tobacco in any form has to be taxed as if it was. I'm really pulling for us little guys that this doesn't get blown out of proportion. I'm not to happy that no new tobacco company is allowed into the US. That would be a stop to small business growth.

20. Njt07

Njt07 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 6, 2011
    Ft Hood TX
    You can get one of those 10,000 mah power packs or make your own out of 18650s or other batteries. This or make a puck (but with AA instead of AAA) and take a quick charger (15 min charge).

When I was going to the field I had my reo mini and about 10x14500 with 2ohm atties, less vapor but it doesnt drain the batteries as fast and is durable as heck. If it gets wet you just dry it off and keep going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.