Modding cheap Chinese mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried buying a knock-off mod, and increasing their performance by changing out connections or anything to be all brass or similar?

I was thinking of doing this, as I do not want to spend a lot on my first mod, and I want to have some fun playing around, I figured this would allow me to satisfy both of those needs.

Thoughts/opinions?

Big Mac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA
Howdy Andrew, there are a ton of posts about modding, for performance, the mech mods that have recently enjoyed such popularity. Some of the complaints people voiced have been addressed by the manufactures or the retailers already, so modding might be unnecessary. **Must go on** If you read up a bit you'll find that basic modding might include sanding of things that are plated, or replacing some small items with braSs items that fit. **Must try to go o..........OH THE HELL WITH IT...EVERYTHING MUST BE MODDED!!!! FROM THE SMALLEST SCREW, REPLACED WITH ONE OF BRASS, TO REWIRING AND AND.....I have control of myself again. Good luck, just understand, that the smallest bit of modding leads to a modding breakout...IT IS A DISEASE I TELL YOU ...A DISEASEEEEEEEEE.

kaddigart

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Insomniville
Howdy Andrew, there are a ton of posts about modding, for performance, the mech mods that have recently enjoyed such popularity. Some of the complaints people voiced have been addressed by the manufactures or the retailers already, so modding might be unnecessary. **Must go on** If you read up a bit you'll find that basic modding might include sanding of things that are plated, or replacing some small items with braSs items that fit. **Must try to go o..........OH THE HELL WITH IT...EVERYTHING MUST BE MODDED!!!! FROM THE SMALLEST SCREW, REPLACED WITH ONE OF BRASS, TO REWIRING AND AND.....I have control of myself again. Good luck, just understand, that the smallest bit of modding leads to a modding breakout...IT IS A DISEASE I TELL YOU ...A DISEASEEEEEEEEE.

Once you start you'll never stop. I see mod potential in random objects everywhere. I rob old electronics of everything from LEDs to enclosure material, or just for use as the enclosure itself (I've used a webcam, an non-functional battery powered soldering iron, a CB radio hand-set, security camera, I could go on but you get the point).

So yes, mod it. But be warned; you'll unleash an insatiable part of yourself that will drive a wife crazy, especially if you turn your kid's toy cell phone into an APV...and yes, it rang when you vaped. She tossed it because she was afraid the lil' tyke would get it and become an addict, and she had a very valid point. But it was so cool...

Last edited:
Well, onto part two then...

If I were to get, say...a K100 from FastTech, what would you typically do to improve performance? What pieces would need to be inspected, and what would I be looking for? What tests could I run to check for proper performance? Such as Ohm readings across the unit, etc. and what should these tests read?

Specifically, THIS K100

Where do you get upgraded performance parts? Or do you make your own using brass stock parts, and taps and dies?

Thank you, very much!

I look forward to getting started with this, and seeing what kind of performance I can get out of a $20 Chinese unit...I hope to show up my friends mod, which he just bought for $100 at a local B&M...

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Oddly enough, you have chosen one of the better Chinese mods! These really have seemed to need little work, a buddy of mine just got one and really seems to love it! I couldn't find any faults with it either, honestly! But I didn't do any technical testing.
I'm hoping to get the Nemesis clone from Fastech in the near future, I'm not a fan of the looks of the telescoping mods. $29.08 Nemesis Mod / E-Cigarette Battery Compartment - stainless steel / with telescopic pin at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping I like the idea of having the battery options with a sleek body line. It's also gotten very good reviews as well as not seeming to need much work, other than the switch can be in need of some smoothing out.

That is another one I was looking at, as well as the Chi You...I have been doing some research, and have seen many people fairly impressed with the K100, and I do like the looks of it, and being so cheap...I figured it is my best bet as a first mod.

Does anybody know what kind of technical tests CAN be performed on these to see what exactly can be improved on?

Example: Is there a way of testing resistance across two points of the unit and seeing if the numbers are "abnormally" high or low, indicating something in there should be replaced/upgraded like needing a brass battery contact, etc.?

kaddigart

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Insomniville

Multimeters, your new best friends. I got mine for around $5 at Harbor Freight. Not top of the line, but it functions well enough as far as I can tell.

BTW, the lower the resistance the better in most cases. Excepting of course that you were testing resistor resistance.

Also, brass is a good choice, but you may want to check into others:

Silver: best

Copper: 9% less conductive than silver

Aluminum: 10% less conductive than copper

Gold: 24% less conductive than copper (but doesn't tarnish or corrode)

Brass is somewhere here.

Rhodium: 74% less conductive than copper

Iridium: 77% less conductive than copper

Platinum: 84% less conductive than copper

Titanium: Over 99% less conductive than copper

Resource

Last edited:
Multimeters, your new best friends. I got mine for around $5 at Harbor Freight. Not top of the line, but it functions well enough as far as I can tell.

BTW, the lower the resistance the better in most cases. Excepting of course that you were testing resistor resistance.

Also, brass is a good choice, but you may want to check into others:

Silver: best

Copper: 9% less conductive than silver

Aluminum: 10% less conductive than copper

Gold: 24% less conductive than copper (but doesn't tarnish or corrode)

Brass is somewhere here.

Rhodium: 74% less conductive than copper

Iridium: 77% less conductive than copper

Platinum: 84% less conductive than copper

Titanium: Over 99% less conductive than copper

Resource

I do know how to use a multi-meter fairly well, and have many different styles available for use, thank you! However, I was more asking...If i were to meter for resistance across two specific points, are there any fairly set guidelines I could look up to see if it will perform well? Although, on second thought of this...there really would be NOTHING to meter on a mechanical mod, except the 510 connection and coil, huh?

Thanks for that info, I did not know that...I knew Silver was best option, and I knew the others were all top, but I did not know pure brass would be lower than those other options!

In terms of pure cost/performance VALUE, which material is best to use?

kaddigart

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Insomniville
I do know how to use a multi-meter fairly well, and have many different styles available for use, thank you! However, I was more asking...If i were to meter for resistance across two specific points, are there any fairly set guidelines I could look up to see if it will perform well? Although, on second thought of this...there really would be NOTHING to meter on a mechanical mod, except the 510 connection and coil, huh?

Thanks for that info, I did not know that...I knew Silver was best option, and I knew the others were all top, but I did not know pure brass would be lower than those other options!

In terms of pure cost/performance VALUE, which material is best to use?

I guess that would depend on whether you made them or bought them. Most likely the ones that come in it are nickel. To purchase, brass (a copper alloy) is cheaper (for price/conductivity) but for that small of an amount the cost difference would probably be a few cents at best (compared to copper anyway). This Wikipedia page gives the exact formulae you'd need to figure out the nuances of each without having to actually test different types. Of course that may take out some of the fun...

The direct answer in my opinion would be copper. Like I said, I use scraps from copper tubing I use for mods, so my cost to make contacts is just a few minutes of my time. Or if you have some old Sterling silverware laying around...

I might get shot for saying this in a modding forum, but why not just get the EHPro EA clone and skip the fiddling?
It out-performs the vast majority of mods, Chinese or not.
Because the fiddling is the fun, to some of us anyway. For me it's the creation process and using something I made for myself. Each to their own though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread