Modified Fistpack question/possible questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
Okay, obviously as per the title I am wanting to attempt a Fistpack. Now, my husband and I have been sitting down reading the how-to's and looking at the pictures. I know that space is tight inside, but I want to modify the design just a little bit. I won't say anything just yet, cuz well, it's super cool.

My first question to start with, is this. Does anyone have one still, that they could measure the diameter on the smaller side? The dimensions on the website only give height, width, and thickness at the fattest part, but I need the diameter at the thinner end. Outer diameter will be just fine.

I am sure that I will have other questions later, but that is all for now.

Oh, one more question... It seems like it was very popular over a year ago, but now nothing... Is that just thanks to the evolution of the e-cigarette in general since then?

BTW this is the one that I bought... [US$19.57] - 2200mAh Rechargeable Portable Emergency Power with Phone Adapters : ColorApples Cool Gadgets Mall

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
AceofVapes makes a version of it VaporLuxe Rev.2 - Black

I think it's still well liked by owners - it rarely comes up for sale on the classys.

Sounds like a tight fit from what I've read. Good luck!

I was originally looking at a Vaporluxe, until I read that its basically the same as a Fistpack, and my husband seems to believe he can build it for less than $40-50. Plus like I said I am making one somewhat unique. Thanks for the good luck wishes!

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
The small side is squared off so no diameter, but is about 11/16 on the outside, VERY tight on the inside, me and my wife have one and use it all the time. Its great to charge while using, I hate to keep switching batteries
11/16", so thats about 17mm OD... Thanks. That should be enough room for what I need.
Very easy to build under $50 if you get the free sample chip from TI
I checked ti.com, but it kept showing "0" on the quantity, so I went ahead and ordered it from arrow.

That reminds me. The data sheet for the booster says to use 100uF Electrolytic caps, but here on the forum, everyone seems to use Tantalum. Any reason for that difference?

anden

Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
US
yes, that is how it works, but both of mine no longer work correctly, just shows 1 dim light regardless of charge
Ok another question...

Can anyone explain to me how the "fuel gauge" works on it? Do the lights just automatically light up when it's charging, so that you can tell when it is done charging, or what?

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
I have built many of these. My wife dropped her's and now only 1 light on the fuel guage lights up also. they usually will fully charge in about 3 hours. Room is slim inside.

Hearing how the fuel gauge stops working on these things, I am thinking extra space could be made just by pulling it...

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
I wouldn't pull it, it's one of the best features. Pushing the button on the side tells you have much power is left in the battery while you're using it too, as well as being a charge gauge. You can fix the fuel gauge by poking with a toothpick or something to find the loose part/bad joint, and carefully retouching the solder joint, 99% of the time. Or just hit them all to make it last if you're in there anyway.

Building:

Those caps were chosen because they keep the protect circuits from tripping. The boost draws a heavy pwm load.

Space is tight, but don't skip insulating the boost from the board, or it WILL short out

Scraping the chrome off around the atty connector is necessary, or it will have a battery short on 1/2 of them

Atty adaptors with a nut on the inside to hold them in, with epoxy on the nut to insulate it from the battery is the best way to go. I made the nuts from brass hex about 1.5 mm thick and tapped them. Just glueing them in really isn't strong enough.

If you're using the v2 PDF that was around before, add the voltage mod... otherwise it's real hot for a lot of attys. You can push the voltage even lower if you need to by changing that resistor slightly.

I found the switch to be a bit of a weak point , it wears out after 4-5 months, so get extras of those. Plan ahead for replacing it - keep it in mind while putting the slide switch in that you'll have to get to the nut on the back again.

They aren't hard to build, take your time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread