Mods wear out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDDWho

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2016
I’ve been vaping the same 2 mods for over a year and 1/2. They are Geekvape Aegis 100watt with Cerberus tanks. I use a couple of tank fulls per day. Lately I’ve been getting short battery charge life regardless of new coil or not, old batteries or new. I recently changed from .3 to .2 ohm coils, does that make a difference? Do these things wear out? I thought the only thing that ever needed replacing was the coil. I have 6 of the same unit in stock. Is it time to replace and pitch?

Last edited:

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Which model Aegis do you have? Do you charge the batteries with the usb port or an external charger? What batteries do you use, how old are they, and where did you get them?

It isn't normal for a mod with good external batteries to experience battery sag. If you've been using the usb to charge, which you shouldn't do except in extreme cases, you may have developed a problem on the circuit board. Or your new batteries may be fake rewraps, and no better than your old batteries.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    A .2 ohms coil will use more power than .3, so that can affect your battery life.
    While mods generally do wear out, it's from wear of the buttons, wear of the threading of connectors or even eliquid seeping into the mod.

See what you can do to give them a good cleaning. Can't hurt.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    On a regulated mod, what matters is if you change the wattage.

If you increase the wattage when you change from 0.3 to 0.2 ohm coils, then yes, you will get less runtime between charges. You are, after all, using more power. But if you vape at the same wattage regardless if you use 0.3 or 0.2 ohm coils, then runtime would be the same.

Here's a calculator you can mess around with.
    Battery drain calculator | Steam Engine

I thought the only thing that ever needed replacing was the coil.

Batteries do "wear out". No such thing as a battery that doesn't. If they didn't wear out they would cost a lot more than $5-10 lol

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Also, to answer the question in your title, yes, mods do wear out. Not just the buttons and other mechanical stuff, but electronics can and do "wear out". The components on the board only have so much life. How long a mod will last will depend on how much you push the board. The higher wattage you vape the warmer the components on the board get. And heat is what makes these components die. More heat more frequently = quicker death.

DDDWho

ECF Veteran
    May 13, 2016
    Which model Aegis do you have? Do you charge the batteries with the usb port or an external charger? What batteries do you use, how old are they, and where did you get them?

It isn't normal for a mod with good external batteries to experience battery sag. If you've been using the usb to charge, which you shouldn't do except in extreme cases, you may have developed a problem on the circuit board. Or your new batteries may be fake rewraps, and no better than your old batteries.
    I don’t know the model, 100 watt is all I know. The batteries are brand new
    Hohm Tech Work V2 18650 2547mAh 25.3A bought at IMR BATTERIES.com which were recommended on a thread somewhere. The somewhat older batteries are Samsung 25R bought at a reputable dealer who’s name I’ve forgotten. A separate charger is always use. I have some .4 ohm coils I’ll try.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I don’t know the model, 100 watt is all I know.

If you have a 100W aegis mod and it only takes 18650 batts, then you likely have an Aegis Solo.

If you have a 100W aegis mod and takes 18650 and 21700 batts, then you likely have an Aegis Max, which is essentially the same mod just a little larger and with better button shapes which make it easier to use when wearing gloves.

Reactions: DDDWho

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I would try the new batteries in one of your new mods, and see if you continue to have the same problem. If so, then you got a rewrapped fake and need to contact IMR and explain your problem. There have been issues with reputable vendors unknowingly getting fake rewraps of reputable brands of batteries. Right now the only thing I trust is a Molicel from Liion, but that's me.

DDDWho

ECF Veteran
    May 13, 2016
    I change wattage quite often depending on if I’m getting what I consider to be a decent hit. Regardless of coil resistance I’m usually somewhere around 30 watts. When these two units were new up until a few weeks ago most batteries would drain the tank dry if I let them, now regardless of battery the battery dies with about a 16th” left in the tank

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Mods do wear out in various ways. I guess it's possible that a control board or some other component is wasting power somewhere and draining the battery faster. I had an old mod once where the screen didn't turn all the way off and that drained the battery.

You could put in a fresh battery last thing at night. Take a few drags and see how it looks in the morning. That would tell you if it was draining all the time or just when you are using it.

It doesn't make sense to me that the same problem would start happening on two mods at the same time though. Makes me think it might be batteries or your charger rather than the mods.

• Agree
    Reactions: Oregon Linda

Myrany

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    I don’t know the model, 100 watt is all I know. The batteries are brand new
    Hohm Tech Work V2 18650 2547mAh 25.3A bought at IMR BATTERIES.com which were recommended on a thread somewhere. The somewhat older batteries are Samsung 25R bought at a reputable dealer who’s name I’ve forgotten. A separate charger is always use. I have some .4 ohm coils I’ll try.
    I h ave had mixed luck with Hohm batteries, Mind you mine are the 20700's not the 18650s. They do not seem to hold up as long as some others but they are not terrible.

I just adjust and change batteries more often.

Last edited:

CloudyFutures

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 10, 2017
    I change wattage quite often depending on if I’m getting what I consider to be a decent hit. Regardless of coil resistance I’m usually somewhere around 30 watts. When these two units were new up until a few weeks ago most batteries would drain the tank dry if I let them, now regardless of battery the battery dies with about a 16th” left in the tank

You could also try cleaning your threads. I get black build-up on my 510 pin threads all the time. I do believe that dirty threads can result in less efficient power transfer. I think power gets lost in dirt. and your mod is regulated. so it has to pump out more power to get the same wattage. Or there is a lot of dust inside your mod. Maybe try pushing some canned air inside the mod.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Others here know more than me... with that said, I'll still try to help. Unless you have had e-liquid leak into your mod, I doubt there is an issue with the mod (Aegis seems to be good quality) It also seems your batteries are decent (although I don't know specifics about your charger, how long you charge them, ect but at least you are using an external charger) One thing I suggest is check the resistance of your coil... see what the mod reads (it is common to be slightly above the stated ohms... that is normal) but still a good habit to check this often. 30 watts is actually low for the coils you are using... really don't think that's an issue at all. A slow charge is generally better for batteries... quick might seem better (for you) but slow is better for the batteries (read the manual for your charger) Do you charge one, two or more batteries at a time? It's the old 20 questions... every detail you can give us helps.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    While attempting to get the same life out of a tank and battery are a noble goal to have (I often do just that), at the end of the day if the battery is dead before the tank is empty you are really only left with a few choices.
    • use better batteries
    • use less power (many use 8-15w)
    • get over it
    I'll have to say that getting a tankful out of a single 18650 can be ether challenging to nearly impossible to do. (unless of course you have a 2ml tank) I gave up on the single 18650 mods years ago and started investing in 26650 mods and later 21700 mods. (as an example, all but one of the mods in my profile image are 21700)

I get all my batteries here https://liionwholesale.com/ and for your application I'd recommend getting some:

Molicel/NPE INR-18650-P26A 35A 2600mAh Flat Top 18650 Battery

g.

• Agree
    Reactions: Oregon Linda

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    NOTE! Currently I use a Twisted Messes RDA, currently with one Geek Vape alien clapton coil, mounted on a Wismec 4 battery(18650) mod. I think that when I tested it - it came in at around 0.3 ohms. YMMV!

Last week I was using another RDA and I found myself vaping at 85 to 90 watts, and I was getting zero clouds. I knew something was up and lifted the cap to the RDA and found that the coil/cotton was all gunked up from heavy tobacco flavored e-liquid that I had been vaping. The e-liquid had carbonized on the coil, and trashed it.

I started with a clean RDA, new coil, clean cotton, and am now vaping at 60 watts. If everything is clean and fresh you can generally drop the wattage. You are at 30 watts, and that is just fine for a tank with just 2 batteries.

How often are you changing "coils" ? Note, you are using a tank, so it is not quite the same setup that I am using. I see that you changed coils, and with a tank, I doubt you get 14+ days out of the setup. When I did use an Aspire tank, years ago, I'd be ecstatic if I got 14 to 21 days out of a coil.

Mods do not last forever, I've been through more than a dozen. Buy mods rated for dropping and liquids. They last a bit longer. But also note! I do an almost complete take-down every night to make my mods last as long as they can. Take the tank/RDA off and clean the base and post. Then clean off the top of the mod and make sure there is no e-liquid on the 510 connector. I usually use toilet paper to clean off the e-liquids, and I roll it up tight and jam it in the 510 connector hole to get all of the e-liquids out. Then I stand up the RDA on the pin for the night on a table(it does not leak). Then I flip the mod over, and leave it upside down over night to get every last bit of the vape juice out of the connector. Check the 510 connector in the morning before screwing everything back together.

If you look at your battery wraps and see any discolorization, then juice is getting inside the mod! You need to step up your game or the mod isn't going to last, and batteries will not work properly.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    I change coils when the vapor gets a bit harsh, usually 4-5 weeks. I notice battery charge life is better with a new coil. The coils in the units now are a week in. I’ve lowered the wattage which seems to help.

That sounds great!

I'd like to add, make sure the atomizer or tank never leaks. If it is leaking you may have bad O-rings, tilted the mod too much or overfilled the tank. Wipe up all the e-liquid immediately or it can kill a mod.

Sorry that you are having so many issues! ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread