Mongrel RDA by Damn Vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
A new rda was released recently, it's called the Mongrel rda by Damn vape. It has a unique airflow design, as well as an included glass cap. I ordered one and it should be delivered by Wednesday. I was wondering if anyone has tried it yet.
mongrel-rda-02.png

mongrel-rda-06.png

The sleeve for the airflow gives you options for the amount of air you want hitting the coil. I am curious to see how it works. Reviews thus far seem good.

• Agree
Reactions: AngeNZ

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
I love the deep well - I'm an oversquonkerer, the airflow range and how it looks.

I'm also curious to know how it vapes

It does have a very deep well, which would be a plus for me as well-- guilty oversquonker here too.

I'll report back after I receive it and put it through some use. That airflow coming from beneath the coil seems promising. I'll admit though, I can be very picky when it comes to RDAs. I'm a flavor chaser.

• Love

Jellybean2

Jan 22, 2020
Dorset UK
Hi, I've had mine for a couple of days now and sadly I've not had a great experience. Partly this is due to manufacturing issues and also it just doesn't suit my preferred style of vaping (too airy for me).
The manufacturing issue concerns the glass cap, which out of the box was so loose I could take it off without holding onto my squonker. The metal cap on the other hand had perfect o ring tolerance.
I replaced the o rings with the spares supplied and there was a slight improvement, but not enough to entirely prevent eliquid seeping between the build deck and the glass cap - there is visible space there. I tried other spare o rings I have but because of the unusual deck size, nothing I tried helped.

It's not all bad though - the drip tip for the metal cap is very comfortable and the feel of the glass cap drip tip part is sublime. And it looks so cool! In the short time I've used it the glass cap hasn't become full of condensation and droplets like I expected. And the flavour is there for sure with the supplied coil.

If Damn Vape came out with another airflow reducer with more restriction, I would give this another go. As things stand, mine is going back to the shop.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
Hi, I've had mine for a couple of days now and sadly I've not had a great experience. Partly this is due to manufacturing issues and also it just doesn't suit my preferred style of vaping (too airy for me).
The manufacturing issue concerns the glass cap, which out of the box was so loose I could take it off without holding onto my squonker. The metal cap on the other hand had perfect o ring tolerance.
I replaced the o rings with the spares supplied and there was a slight improvement, but not enough to entirely prevent eliquid seeping between the build deck and the glass cap - there is visible space there. I tried other spare o rings I have but because of the unusual deck size, nothing I tried helped.

It's not all bad though - the drip tip for the metal cap is very comfortable and the feel of the glass cap drip tip part is sublime. And it looks so cool! In the short time I've used it the glass cap hasn't become full of condensation and droplets like I expected. And the flavour is there for sure with the supplied coil.

If Damn Vape came out with another airflow reducer with more restriction, I would give this another go. As things stand, mine is going back to the shop.

Thanks for your valued input. I am hoping it is not too airy for me... While I am a DL vaper and like a good amount of airflow, too much is not to my liking. So I take it the airflow can't be reduced by turning the top cap to restrict it some?

I'd be ...... if the glass top issue was not fixed before being released. Being loose like that is something they had to have known about.

• Agree

Jellybean2

Jan 22, 2020
Dorset UK
Thanks for your valued input. I am hoping it is not too airy for me... While I am a DL vaper and like a good amount of airflow, too much is not to my liking. So I take it the airflow can't be reduced by turning the top cap to restrict it some?

I'd be ...... if the glass top issue was not fixed before being released. Being loose like that is something they had to have known about.
I would think the airflow is fine for most people as it's fully adjustable, but it's a big airy space compared to the atties I use.

• Informative
Reactions: Plumes.91

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    The airiness doesn't bother me. And as I usually use 510 drip tips, I didn't think I'd use the glass cap. But I'm determined to conquer my OCD about constant rewicking - and I thought a glass cap would make or break me :D

I would think the airflow is fine for most people as it's fully adjustable, but it's a big airy space compared to the atties I use.

As long as it's a flavour banger, I can live with everything else

• Agree
    Reactions: Skeebo

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    Putting a strand of dental floss under each oring may solve the issue.

If it ever shows up. It seems USPS has taken care of the glass cap issue by losing the entire package.:lol: If it is truly lost it would be a first for me in 7 years of ordering vape supplies. Kinda stinks too, the package also had an Arbiter RTA in it. I was super excited to try both the Mongrel and Arbiter.

At least the vendor said they would either reship or offer a store credit if it didn't show by 1/16. It's been somewhere out there in oblivion since 12/28. I am not giving up hope though... it's just slightly diminished.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA

I know they're coming out with a honeycomb. I'm not certain that it will necessarily be more restrictive

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    China, please hear us... we likey option for restricted air holes. I for one almost miss the single pinhole days but I’m weird and like filling my mouth and then inhaling all at once to feel that sting. It has become increasingly difficult to find attys that’ll restrict that far. I have adjusted, but almost begrudgingly some days :glare:

I will say I am proud of you for including squonk pins almost universally now, and no longer selling mods with spelling errors programmed into the menus.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    I know they're coming out with a honeycomb. I'm not certain that it will necessarily be more restrictive

Really? I'd like to have that... Do you know if it will be sold by itself, or only with the entire RDA.

Mine should be here tomorrow, it got stuck in the USPS distribution center in Michigan for 12 days...

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    So I finally got my Mongrel RDA today. The first thing I checked was if the glass cap was too big... It is, and out of the box, totally not usable. If I can find larger o-rings it may work.

I cleaned out the rda and put the supplied coil in it. The airflow on it is totally adjustable, and can even be adjusted for a very restricted DL style vape. I prefer to have it open all the way and I don't think it's too airy like some RDAs I have used.

The important part for me is flavor and this does it well. I usually never use the coils that come with the rda because I like my own wire better. I think the flavor will be better when I replace the coil that came with it.

It's disappointing the glass cap in the way it is. Luckily, the RDA itself really is pretty good. Flavor is right up their with my favorite RDA.

Reactions: AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Really? I'd like to have that... Do you know if it will be sold by itself, or only with the entire RDA.

Mine should be here tomorrow, it got stuck in the USPS distribution center in Michigan for 12 days...
    I believe they are sending it out with the new products instead of the wide-open one and I also believe that you're going to be able to purchase it separately it might be even the advertised on the damn Vape site right now. If you follow vaping insiders community on Facebook the guy who founded that site or group is the one that created it so he keeps everyone up to date on that. If I see it for sale personally I'll try to remember to come on back and let you know they're also coming out with a matte black so if you see a matte black one that's going to have the new honeycomb is what my understanding is

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA

So on the Vic community they are saying that if you have a problem with the glass cap tolerances first you can message the company that you bought it from and second if they won't help out to contact damn Vape I haven't had anyone come back and say they had success with that but that's what they're telling people to do. It is a well-known defect on manufacturing right now

Reactions: Skeebo
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread