Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
yeah yeah I know mods with mosfets aren’t mechanical devices, so no lectures needed but this is probably the best subforum for this question.

I’ve tried google searches for the “best” - semi regulated or whatever terminology you want to use but I keep getting results for mechanical mods.

I’m interested in purchasing one or two but beyond the Chutula, the one mod that keeps popping up in my search, I can’t find much else.

So if you have any recommendations I’d like to hear them. Again I’m NOT looking for a mech mod (and don’t want to be told how awesome they are) but one that uses a mosfet or similar type board that offers “some” basic battery short protection such as battery polarization and atomizer short etc...

Thanks. please let’s keep this thread on topic. This topic seems to get some mech mod purists in a tizzy as I’ve seen on other threads and forums.

Again thank you kindly!

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
There are a number of such mods. What are you looking for in particular? squonker? box? tube? internal or external battery? Does it have to be "mosfet" or would any unregulated mod with protection satisfy your needs? What about a regulated mod with "bypass" mode?

If you are thinking you want a "safer" mech for the vapocalypse, then adding a "board/chip" somewhat defeats the purpose (e.g., incorporating electronics that can still fail, still be susceptible to juice leakage/seepage). Of course, some, like the Cthulhu you mention, or the Atto, have spare chip/boards available for relatively cheap, so those could be stockpiled. A mech that can take a resettable or replaceable fuse might be another option, if you can find fuses that take your preferred amp draw (many/most are just 7-amp fuses).

However, if you just want to enjoy the pleasure of an unregulated DC vape, then there are plenty of choices from any regulated mod with "bypass" to higher end squonks like the Limelight Freehand series (you can get mech or mosfet), or perhaps a Stratum Zero tube mod, or the more economical Aspire Feedlink or Pico Squeeze (original) or perhaps an internal battery tube like an Ijust among others.

Not trying to be picky, just trying to clarify what you might want.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Preferably a tube or box not squonker with external batteries. Doesn’t have to be Mosfet that’s all I know that gives basic protection. I actually have several mods that include a Bypass mode but I’ve never thought to check that out. I’ll look into it.

A mosfet does not give basic protection. A mosfet offers no protection whatsoever. It is just an alternative way of switching. If you want protection, go regulated or search for a mosfet mod that has additional circuitry to add the protection. IMO if you are going with the latter, you might as well just go regulated.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
If interested for a squonker,
Asmodus Pumper 18 (takes one 18650)

Asmodus pumper 20/21 (takes one 20700/21700)

I actually bought the Asmodus Pumper 18. I was hoping to find a non squonker that had the same set up. I guess it must have more protection than just a mosfet. The Asmodus website doesn’t mention what other “protection” it has. Thanks

• Love
Reactions: greek mule

ArminF

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2018
Switzerland
There are new mosfets on the market. Switchfet, Clickfet, Bomber Pro. They do also deliver some more features.
Also the "kicks" do this work. Cthulhu or Atto has a tube with a safety concept.
You maybe need to ask yourself how to handle non regulated devices as the wattage/voltage drops with the battery. So if you do DIY coils you should take this into consideration to handle a 4 to 3.3 Volt range and keep flavour and vapor production as it's best.

The big asian companies produce tubes with safety protection. And some are even regulated.
Joytech Ultex, Uwell Nunchaku, EHPro 101. Tubes with chips. Dani would be the Mercedes then.
Beside the box mods are mostly made in small charges and usually expensive.
But as normal mosfets do not have on/off you could also go for a real mech tube. Have less stress and just run good batteries in it to be safe. GUS would be a good address. Or any other mech mod. Just check if there is a lock mechanism offered.

I have very simple mech tube. Called SMPL. Run this from time to time and own it since 5 years. Never had a problem. Just keep the battery safety in mind. Same for my last 3 years of squonking. With 25 Amps power. All mech mods. They will just never fail!

Cavalier

Jul 14, 2016
The idea behind using a MOSFET is that the the actual physical switch you press doesn't need to take the full current - so the switches themselves can be more delicately built (i.e. cheaper) and don't suffer from the arcing and crud buildup that require regular maintenance on full mechanical mods. The physical switch only has to pass sufficient current to trigger the transistor. This does not mean that MOFSET mods can handle a higher current than mechanicals, as frequently the reverse is true.
The presence of a MOSFET conveys no extra safety at all on its own. It happens to be the case that most MOSFET mods also contain protection circuitry, but that protection circuitry seems to be what you are after rather than the presence of the MOSFET itself. Terms such as "semi-regulated" or "semi-mechanical" are too ambiguous to be a reliable indicator.
If you want a protected but unregulated device due to long term reliability concerns, you aren't gaining that much; there is still a circuit board, and that circuit board is still much more fragile than pure metal. There are some that can do away with the need for a display screen (because they only do unregulated) but if you need a circuit board, for whatever reason, you may as well go for a regulated mod.

crazydmnd

Jul 7, 2014
United States
The idea behind using a MOSFET is that the the actual physical switch you press doesn't need to take the full current - so the switches themselves can be more delicately built (i.e. cheaper) and don't suffer from the arcing and crud buildup that require regular maintenance on full mechanical mods. The physical switch only has to pass sufficient current to trigger the transistor. This does not mean that MOFSET mods can handle a higher current than mechanicals, as frequently the reverse is true.
The presence of a MOSFET conveys no extra safety at all on its own. It happens to be the case that most MOSFET mods also contain protection circuitry, but that protection circuitry seems to be what you are after rather than the presence of the MOSFET itself. Terms such as "semi-regulated" or "semi-mechanical" are too ambiguous to be a reliable indicator.
If you want a protected but unregulated device due to long term reliability concerns, you aren't gaining that much; there is still a circuit board, and that circuit board is still much more fragile than pure metal. There are some that can do away with the need for a display screen (because they only do unregulated) but if you need a circuit board, for whatever reason, you may as well go for a regulated mod.
Dont listen to this naysayer! Mosfets almost always kick much ....

You have a lot of opinion there, but you have some valid points. Obviously, the best and most often used reason for using a Mosfet is that the mod can be made to very tight proportions since the mosfet is a much smaller chip. Just look at the Colibri...

So I've been grabbing a lot of them lately as theres been a big resurgence. My vote is for the Stratum Zero!

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Cavalier

Jul 14, 2016
I don't think that the Colibri is a good example - it isn't any smaller than similar mechanical 18350 mods, and again there is the conflation of MOSFET (a transistor, in this case used as a switch) and a protection circuit.

The circuit in the Colibri is used for overdischarge protection and looks like this.
3702400-6.jpg

It contains a MOSFET, which switches the current, and is in turn switched by a much smaller current, which passes through the microswitch at the front of the board - but it also has protection against over-discharge, which is claimed to cut out at 2.93v, and has no doubt saved the beards of a few hipsters wanting "sick clapton builds" on their 18350 mods. The presence of a MOSFET does, however, not by itself imply that there is any form of protection on the mod, and given that there needs to be made room for it, there is no effective reduction in size over a mechanical mod - if you look at Le Petit Gros or the Calvert, you can see that they are about the same size.

> mosfet is a much smaller chip
Mechanical = no chip at all. VV/VW/TC boards are certainly bigger than a MOSFET, though.

If you want to vape on a MOSFET, by all means, go right ahead. I will concede that it is a little more reliable than a variable output board, in that the MOSFET itself can be, at least in theory, de-soldered and replaced, but wherever there is a circuit board, there is fragility.

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-5_11-33-56.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-5_11-33-56.jpeg
    3.2 KB · Views: 53

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
If it's a tube you're wanting, I'd probably go with the Gus, if the fuse is big enough for your vape strength. They're beautiful pieces and I've wanted on for a long time. But I'll never buy one because the fuse is annoying to me. I'm a mech purist-- it's a mech or it isn't, make up your mind-- so I could never bring myself to buy one. Still, they're very well made and are supposed to have one of the best buttons in the business.

Cavalier

Jul 14, 2016
The Eleaf Istick 21700 is close to what you are describing. Single 21700 battery with no regulation (you get what the battery is putting out). It is electronically switched and has a few basic protections.

No, the iStick Pico is a temperature controlled mod which is fully protected - it's about as far away from unregulated as you can get whilst still producing vapour. It even has a display screen.

• Winner
Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
No, the iStick Pico is a temperature controlled mod which is fully protected - it's about as far away from unregulated as you can get whilst still producing vapour. It even has a display screen.
I think I wrote the wrong thing. It's the Ijust not the IStick. Too early to post.

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
I might not be understanding this correctly but it sounds like you are looking for an unregulated mod something like the Coilart DPRO 133 kit? If so you can pick them up for very little. I got mine for $10.
Where did you get that device for $10? I have not seen it that cheap anywhere.the cheapest I saw was slowtech for $34.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread