MV5VREG1 LDO 5 volt, 3.0 amp regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbonie

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Jackson,Ms (da DEEP Sout!)
Sure, will work fine as the max input voltage is 35 volts..

hoog

HAHAHAHAHA So what yur sayin is my thumb fingered soldering technique burned the others up... hahahaha S'ok. Think I can do it this time. BTW ordered your 5v kit gonna try that to

Thanks for the input. Will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

rbonie

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Sure, will work fine as the max input voltage is 35 volts..

hoog
KAYY Built the beast!!!
see pics
Used "5 Volt 3xAAA Box mod by Ez Duzit" plans.
Thing works great, however , regulator gets reeeeeeel HOT!. Will burn you if you touch it.
don't know if you can trace wires from pic but here goes.
Lemme know if you see issues
First pic is the box. Last one is best to see wiring.
Don't know how long this thing will last. Using 2/3 sec bursts and letting it sit a lot between. Vapes great .
Got the 5v kit from you and thats next build.

Attachments

• PHTO0035.jpg
    PHTO0035.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 45
  • PHTO0036.jpg
    PHTO0036.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 45
  • PHTO0039.jpg
    PHTO0039.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 39
  • PHTO0043.jpg
    PHTO0043.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 33
  • PHTO0044.jpg
    PHTO0044.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

lefear

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
usa
Why are you using three 3.7v batteries? Two would work much better. The 5 volt regulator you have works (in layman's terms) by using 5 of the volts available and discarding the rest as heat. So your your batteries in series supply 11.1 volts; which means that 5v are sent to your atty and 6.1v is depleted as waste heat. Just use two 7.4v batteries with the regulator, you will still have waste heat but it won't get very hot; it doesn't get that hot on my mod.

rbonie

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Why are you using three 3.7v batteries? Two would work much better. The 5 volt regulator you have works (in layman's terms) by using 5 of the volts available and discarding the rest as heat. So your your batteries in series supply 11.1 volts; which means that 5v are sent to your atty and 6.1v is depleted as waste heat. Just use two 7.4v batteries with the regulator, you will still have waste heat but it won't get very hot; it doesn't get that hot on my mod.
Just about the conclusion I have come to. Gonna take one of the 14500's out of the mix just to see. This works and I'll build the 5 v mod kit I got from you recently.
Concept was to build an "ALL DAY" vape. Not have to change batteries half way thru the day.

rbonie

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Ok.. Jumped first connector so I have 2 14500 in series. MUCH better!!! Vapes cooler, (thought I was gonna melt a C2 cart before), and the volt reg is also much cooler. Thanks. Wonder how long these batteries will hold a charge. I use a mod with a 18500 batterie and it lasts most of a day. Still have to carry spares tho... We'll see.

lefear

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
usa
Two 14500 usually last me all day if I am busy most of the day. Otherwise, if I am sitting at my computer when I can vape constantly it would last me 6-8 hours but I have 4 batteries so it's not a problem for me. I would recommend you to buy one more battery so that you have two sets of batteries and you would never be without a 5v vape.

And if you still want a use out of the 4AA battery box you have, what you can do is buy four 1.2v rechargeable NiMH batteries and link them in series for a 4.8v device. I don't know how long the batteries will last but at least you would have a back up device.

rbonie

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
And if you still want a use out of the 4AA battery box you have, what you can do is buy four 1.2v rechargeable NiMH batteries and link them in series for a 4.8v device. I don't know how long the batteries will last but at least you would have a back up device.
Thats basically a "PUCK" (see http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/106016-how-build-puck.html ). NiMh batteries are ok and I like the vape, just got tierd of toting 2 sets ,(of 4 each), to keep it working all day.
Gonna build that 5v box this afternoon.Thanks for the help.

rbonie

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
So ,if I understand, what you are saying is the regulator takes ALL the voltage from the source, uses the 5 v and WASTES the remainder as heat??

What I was looking for was more of an hourglass effect. Take the whole voltage but limit "usage" to the 5 v and save the rest to " dribble out" like an hour glass. Would a potentiometer do this better?

lefear

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
usa
There is a regulator that does almost that, but they usually cost more; any where around 10-25 dollars. It is called a switching regulator. What you have is a linear regulator.

A switching regulator work (in layman's terms) by opening and closing the circuit really fast that only 5 volt (or what ever it's set to) is able to get though.
They are more efficient, but are but bigger than a linear regulator. They also require two capacitors and resistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread