My Atty Resurrection Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgmetal

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Thanks for this method, My atties are only a few days old, but I tried my hand at making my own batch of juice, and I did something wrong because I was pulling barely any vapor off of one of the atties, and the other started to have problems when I tried it with the juice. I used this method last night, and the second atty is working great so far.

I haven't tired the first, but I have a feeling the problem isn't dirt. In the atty there is a cotten/rope like thread frayed out to the side of the bridge. I thought it was some filling because I had pulled a cart out and the filling was stuck on the bridge. So I went and took some tweezers to pull it out. I then realized it wasn't filler, but part of the atty itself. Do any of you have any suggestions for that? I was going to make a thread asking about it, but I figured it might be common knowledge here. Any ideas?

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
That is silica wick that the coil is wrapped around. While it has been suggested in other threads that this can be removed to improve performance, I disagree. The reason this *appears to* improve performance in some attys is because it was dirty and no longer wicking. By removing it they have taken out the gunk, but now have no wick to the coil.

By using my method you actually burn the gunk out of the silica and restore the wicking ability, and at the same time cook any gunk that's on the coil itself off.

I don't recommend removing this wicking (on purpose), but if you have inadvertently pulled it out, I wouldn't worry about it. It will still hit, just not as well as if it were still there (and cleaned). Also, if you do not have the silica in there anymore, you want to be a little extra carefull when doing the burn-off, because your coil will go from 'orange glow' to 'too hot' much quicker, as there is less mass in there to absorb the heat.

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
My son accidentally pulled the silica out of the coil on one of his atomizers. A 5-second draw using it gives almost no vapor. So, I tried dripping. 17 drips into a clean, dry atomizer and it was just starting to flood, but only the tiniest wisp of vapor generated in a 10-second draw. Glows nice and red, but it seems the liquid can't get to it.

I know many drip with success on atomizers with the wick removed, I just can't figure out how to do it successfully. So, if you're like me it may not work.

Sgmetal

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
yeah, I tried dripping and I could either get no vapor off it, or it would produce large puffs for a second, then nothing again.. I am just going to put it aside for now and maybe mess with it later, I'm just down to one atty till I get a paycheck to buy more supplies. Again thanks for this cleaning method, I noticed it even helped out with flavors. I got some RY4 with my starter kit, but didn't see why everyone liked it, but today I decided to give it a try with my new clean atty, and it was so much better. I think it was the clean atty and I was a bit more experienced, but whatever the reasons it was alot less harsh and a clearer flavor.

VaporTrailz

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
Eastern NC
Thanks for this method, My atties are only a few days old, but I tried my hand at making my own batch of juice, and I did something wrong because I was pulling barely any vapor off of one of the atties, and the other started to have problems when I tried it with the juice. I used this method last night, and the second atty is working great so far.

I haven't tired the first, but I have a feeling the problem isn't dirt. In the atty there is a cotten/rope like thread frayed out to the side of the bridge. I thought it was some filling because I had pulled a cart out and the filling was stuck on the bridge. So I went and took some tweezers to pull it out. I then realized it wasn't filler, but part of the atty itself. Do any of you have any suggestions for that? I was going to make a thread asking about it, but I figured it might be common knowledge here. Any ideas?

I had some similar material sticking out on a new 510 atty...was causing a lot of popping when I puff on the atty.

Pulled the stringy stuff out and the popping is gone, but the vapor production dropped off quite a bit too.

But anyways....I wanted to comment on this method of cleaning attys worked great for me...it cleaned attys that I'd thought were pretty much toast after soaking them in Everclear with only slight imrpovement. Nice big clouds now...just like new (or better!)

portguy

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Portugal
My son accidentally pulled the silica out of the coil on one of his atomizers. A 5-second draw using it gives almost no vapor. So, I tried dripping. 17 drips into a clean, dry atomizer and it was just starting to flood, but only the tiniest wisp of vapor generated in a 10-second draw. Glows nice and red, but it seems the liquid can't get to it.

I know many drip with success on atomizers with the wick removed, I just can't figure out how to do it successfully. So, if you're like me it may not work.

NO....u can't really drip with ANY atomizer by pouring 17 drops in it!!!!

If u accidentally remove the the silica wick, u can in fact remove the bridge also. THEN put 3 drops in the atty, no more than that! 5 drops in a 510 atomizer will flood it, with or without wick/bridge!

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
I agree with portguy. I'm surprised that with 17 drops you didn't see liquid filling the atty past the bridge :p

When I dripped with a 510 I always used 3 drops. Toward the end of my dripping days, when I was getting really fed up with dripping every 5 minutes, I was putting in 4 drops, but that was borderline flood.

Now an 801, on the other hand, will easily take 8-10 drops without flooding. It all just depends on the atty model you are using.

Also, I should mention that after you have done this method, you should put about 3 drops in your atty and let it sit for about a minute before you vape it. This allows time for the juice to settle into all the little pours of the nickel foam.

IR_Efrem

Feb 10, 2010
I have a method for replacing cruddy silica thread, it does involve removing the mesh but in the end it makes a very good dripping atomizer. Takes a steady hand, patience, and a little more time than I care to admit (big gorilla hands doesn't help at all). I cannot post images yet but it will be forthcoming. I may modify my method as well to see if I can't make it much simpler.

Just a few more days until I can try some different ideas and a couple more posts until I can add images/links.

sixofusernames

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
california
this is a great method, but i am wondering, can you use boiling water to melt the gunk off better, i use a 501 atty, and wonder if boiling is safe or even neccessary or is the hot tap water enough? i ask this because inside the atty, i think there is a rubber piece or something in the wick area that might be damaged by the hot or boiliing water. thanks for the great post on atty ressurection, i think its the best i have seen so far!

IR_Efrem

Feb 10, 2010
I completely screwed up an atomizer by boiling. Completely my fault because I didn't stay on top of the boiling process. I let it go until the water boiled dry and the atomizer sat there over the heat (probably about an hour, yes this makes me a bad person) and the gunk got cemented into place. Not even using the method outlined here helped me fix it. I had to tear it apart and chip the gunk off with a needle. If you follow this method, to the letter, your atomizers will be reborn! Yes I am a convert and will never clean another way.

The only thing I do different is I do not blow on an atomizer anymore I use a balloon inflator on the cartridge end. One similar to Amazon.com: Hand Held Air Inflator Balloon (1 ct): Toys & Games

Already had an inflator though. Anyway I got sick on blowing on cartridges pretty quick and this works in just a few pumps (done).

Last edited:

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
NO....u can't really drip with ANY atomizer by pouring 17 drops in it!!!!

If u accidentally remove the the silica wick, u can in fact remove the bridge also. THEN put 3 drops in the atty, no more than that! 5 drops in a 510 atomizer will flood it, with or without wick/bridge!
lol, I didn't just dump 17 drops in, I started with the recommended 2-3, then kept adding, trying to get more than a tinkerbell wisp of vapor. And no, nothing was flooded. This was a freshly-cleaned, bone-dry atomizer to begin with, not a primed and in-use atomizer. Though, it WAS on the verge of flooding.

bobbysox10

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
Chicago
ok, so i usually just blow out the atty, do 5-10 5sec dry burns, let cool, drop a few drops prime, put on fresh cart and vape. Well as it turns out the flavor of my old ejuice masked the burnt taste and the flavor of my new ejuice didnt so after my procedure i would taste burnt crap. So today when the draw got real hard and i started tasting so weird smelll(my atty is about 2-3 weeks old maybe a month) i did this method. I got a little scared when it would heat up, the orange light turn on but not sizzling or producing vapor. I figured out it stops doing that when its dry. so when i was done, my atty is brand new. Vapor tastes good, lots of vapor, easy draw and a smiley face on me. However, I am fed up with this stuff and switching to cartomizers. thanks for the help!

anth

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Sydney
Thanks for this tip Highping, it definitely works. Suddenly I have 3 more atties in my stockpile working like they used to, and one is maybe better. These were bought back in Nov 09...seems ages ago! and they were in the 'dead atty drawer'. We may not have to be as delicate with cleaning atties with water and drying after all.
No bad taste after cleaning with this method either.

bobbysox10

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
Chicago
No bad taste after cleaning with this method either.

This was my favorite part of the whole thing. You literally burn off everything in there. I think I may do this when I first get them to get rid of all the primer and any other nasty stuff that may have gotten in there during the manufacturing process. I will have to do a test but I need to restock soon which may take a while cause I am buying a vapor king. I am down to one atty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread