My Bumpy Road from Smoking to Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelump

Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
Stockton,CA
I have no clue why I am writing this but maybe in hopes that it will find someone considering switching for traditional cigarettes to electronic cigarettes. This story will tell of my journey from being a smoker for seventeen years and smoking pack and a half a day to a vaper.

I started smoking at the age of 13. I can’t tell you why I picked up that first cigarette. My parents didn’t smoke, nor did any of my family. Call it peer pressure, cal lit curiosity, call it whatever you like. It's something I did and something that can’t be changed. It wasn’t hard for someone so young to get a pack (mind you it was 1994.) Ask any random stranger to get you a pack, and about 80% of the time you will find someone willing to get it for you. All through junior high and high school it was the same thing. Although, in high school was a bit easier since I started to have friends that were 18 years old. Heck, I turned 18 halfway through my senior year.

When I turned 18, I got a job and that’s were my habit started to pick up. I went from a pack lasting me 3 to 4 days to a pack every single day. I made many attempts to quit smoking, but I must admit they were done halfheartedly. I didn’t seem to care about the health effects I knew I would have later in life.... I knew they were bad for me but it was my life and I was bound and determined do what I wanted. Young and dumb! As I got older it just got harder and harder for me to quit. I did manage to quit for about 2 months back in 2007 but something stupid made me go back to smoking. To be honest I can’t even remember what it was, but if I can’t remember it now, then it was just an excuse to start smoking once again.

In April of 2009 I was told about e-cigarettes from Jackie (my grandfather’s new wife). She gave me the run down of how they worked, let me try hers, and I found it wasn’t half bad. After my visit home I left with one 901 atomizer,a USB pass-through, a 30 ml bottle of totally wicked RY-4 juice and some good advise. I got home and swore to myself I am going to quit smoking and use this e-cig thing. So I went online and found vaporcounty.com. I ordered a 901 manual battery kit and a few juices.I also joined the forums at ECF but never posted anything. When my order came in I loved it for about a week, but it just didn’t seem to work for me. So, I put it to the side and picked up a pack of cigarettes thinking to myself “Eh, this is just hype and it doesn’t work.”

In November of 2009 and I saw a sweet black Friday sale on juice at wetyourstick.com. 5ml bottles for 2.99each. So I thought, “What the heck, I will try this again.” M yorder came in a few days later, and once again it doesn’t seem to work for me. I threw it to the side again and start smoking. So now I have juice and an e-cig just lying around my house doing nothing and I’m still smoking like a chimney.

January of 2010, and once again I want to quit smoking. So I decided to bust out my e-cig and try again, butI seem to have lost my charger. I got online, found electronic-ash.com, order a new charger, three 10ml bottles of 26 mg juice, 2 atomizers and some blanket carts. I made another go it, but my problem is that although I can vape at work, I don’t have the ability to charge it and the batteries wont last my whole shift. (At the time I couldn't find a 901 PCC – personal charging case.) So I would use it just at home and smoke at work. That seemed to work fora little while but I wasn’t getting the throat hit that I would like. So what'd I do? Give up, again.

Still wanting to quit in May of 2010. I did some research and I found that the Joye 510 seems to be getting great reviews. From what I heard it had great vapor production and throat hit, so I went back to electronic-ash.com and ordered a 510 starter kit and another 901 battery charger. (Man do I lose these things easily.) Kit comes in and I fill up my cart. BAM! Great vapor and great throat hit. So I’m thinking to myself, “Okay this it! I can do it this time.” At this point I am out of work and so I have no charging problems. So I vape for about a week, yet I go right back to smoking and the 510 gets thrown into the drawer. I don’t know what made me stop using it and start smoking again.

I didn't think about my e-cig for almost two and half years. I started dating a non-smoker who really wanted me to quit. So, I quit smoking two or three times in the space of a month, but never longer than a weekend. Then on August 31, 2012, I’m went on a camping trip for Labor day weekend. I drank heavily and smoked non-stop all weekend. In that four days, a had smoked a carton minus a single pack that I gave a good friend of mine. On my way home,I still a got another one. On September 4th I woke up to get ready for work and I found could barely breathe. I went to work anyway and still made my morning stop to get my pack for the day. During my lunch I was outside having a smoke and I started thinking, “What the .... am I doing to myself?!” I couldn’t believe I had smoked an entire carton to myself in a single weekend –even if it was a long one. I told myself that day. at 11:50am, that I was done with this. Yes, I will admit that I finished the pack that Ihad on during my shift and the drive home. But when I got home, I dusted off my e-cig box and charged up the batteries for my 901 and 510.

I made an order from electronic-ash.com got two new mega 901 batteries, 60 ml of 26 mg juice, 2 new chargers,a 901 to 510 adapter and a new USB pass-through. I once again logged into ECF but this time I posted something. I felt so welcome by the community! I found using the 901 batteries with a 510 atomizer started to work for me. Some of the juices were great, some were not.Problem I had was the battery life was still bad. By now I did have the ability to charge them at work, but it became a huge hassle to change them out all the time. Back to the internet!

I read a thousands of reviews on devices, and watched hundreds of videos. Now I have a found a setup that works for me. I got the Lambo starter kit from myvaporstore.com,and ordered some juices from avejuice.com. I now have a device where one battery lasts me 24 hours, and juice that it just great. I still get the urge to smoke every now and then, but nothing a quick vape won’t take care of.

I just want to tell everyone out there that vaping has saved my life. I feel a hundred times better. If it doesn’t work for you at first, try another device, or try a different juice. Ask this wonderful community for advice, there are many people out there, and they have a great wealth of knowledge.Remember that non-smoker I was dating? Now she's my wife. She and my step-kids love that I have finally quit smoking, enjoy the smell of the juices and love it when I get new ones in. Their love and support during this process has been amazing. I can't say enough good things about having a cheering section, especially in those first few weeks.

If I can do it, so can you.

Last edited:

thelump

Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
Stockton,CA
Thanks for sharing. I'm getting my kit this week and hope that I can come on here and tell my story in a month or so. Keep it up. I am a big guy so that paired with smoking leaves me winded on a long walk. I'm looking forward to getting rid of the constant feeling that there's phlegm in my throat.

Good luck my friend.

PickyJuicer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Awesome story! Alot of us have had a hard time, myself included. I was the sneaky smoker... My husband smoked and I "quit" while hiding in the bathroom puffing away... Shameful? Absolutely. I was horrible on myself, day after day, but not bad enough to kick the habit. I started vaping and cut down.

My husband started vaping. The day he quit was the day I quietly did too! Almost three months without one :) We all have stories. Some good, some bad. Never a failure. We have the opportunity to rewrite the script!

Congrats! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread