The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

My first time DIY. Results so far.

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by cbehrendt, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. cbehrendt

cbehrendt Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 29, 2009
    Iowa
    Hello, today I received my DIY kit and decided to dive right in.

I made a Wild Cherry cola juice, 18mg 90/10 pg/vg, with flavoring at 10% (5%Wild Cherry, 5% cola) and did my calculations with the Ejuice me up program.

Results for my very first time are OK. The juice is waaay to thin, and the taste has way to much cola, I can barely taste the wild cherry. Throat hit is too subtle as well, which I did not expect because of the high pg ration and the 18mg nic.

Any suggestions for next time I make it?

I was thinking of making the ratio 70/30 pg/vg, and bumping the flavoring to 15%, with the wild cherry at 10% and cola at 5%. Maybe thinking of making the nic content 24mg, as I do like my throat hit alot and I don't know how to increase the TH other than more nic and higher PG.

2. markfm

markfm Aussie Pup Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I'll tend to run at about 20% total flavoring, it really depends on how strong your flavorings are. The only exceptions at the low end are a tobacco at 15% (plus a bit of tobacco absolute) and a staight menthol (menthol liquid concentrate is pretty strong).

I tried cutting a mix down by 25%, to "only" 15% total flavoring, wasn't thrillled. I ended up adding supplemental flavoring to bring it up to my norms.

3. cbehrendt

Nov 29, 2009
    Iowa
    I was actually thinking after I posted that I should just bump the WC to 15%, since the cola comes out very well at just 5%.

4. markfm

markfm Aussie Pup Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I'd go to the 10 and 5 first, then shake and taste. If necessary you can continue adding a bit more cherry. If you overshoot a component it's a PITA, since then you either toss the batch or have to make a decent amount more than planned in order to rebalance it.

Once it gets "close", time to put it aside a couple days, then revisit, see if it's heading in the direction you want. Steeping is a myth only to those who haven't done DIY :)

5. pinellaspete

pinellaspete Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Safety Harbor, FL
    Different flavors have different "power" levels. Some are extremely strong at 1% like TPA ripe banana. And some are just noticeable at 10%. It really is a little bit of trial and error to find that happy medium.

Try and start out a little on the weak side because it is easy to add more flavor, but really hard to dilute an overpowering flavor.

Keep in mind that over time (Especially the first week.) the flavors will blend and become less powerful. I agree with what markfm says, my best juice seems always to have steeped for a week or two also.

Pete

6. cbehrendt

Nov 29, 2009
    Iowa
    Update

I made another batch, this time I made the juice 100% vg at 24mg of nic. Flavor is 5% cola 5% wild cherry. The taste is much better now, the cola isn't quite as strong as the PG juice I made. I added a couple more drops of wild cherry after tasting and its pretty good. Thinking that I will try 10% wild cherry and 5% cola next time

I like the pure vg, much cleaner taste, and the 24 mg nic has a more noticeable throat hit and the vapor is much better as well. I think I will make strickly vg juice from now on.

Going to put it down for a couple of days and let it steep and see how it is doing then.

7. Rimau

Rimau Senior Member ECF Veteran

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.