The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

My name is...

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Sílvio Ferraz, Nov 8, 2018 at 8:10 PM.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Sílvio Ferraz

Sílvio Ferraz New Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Hi, vapers. My name is Sílvio and i´m a Portuguese vaper. I´m here to learn and to help in anything i can. I´m 45, smoker for 16 years, non smoker for 15 and last year started again. Jully 2018 decided to stop and start vapping. I´m loving it but...my asthma symptons got worse. I allready did some research right here in this forum and it probably is due to my VG/PG ratios. I´ll try differently. Just got here and I´m allready learning. Hope you all do well and vape ON!!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour Super Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Susaz

Susaz Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Is your neumonologyst someone to trust? Ask him. Mine changed my meds since my asthma is mostly allergic and that solved the problem. You could very well be allergic to PG.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Shadav

Shadav Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 4, 2013
    Westfield, IN, USA
    keep in mind as well, it is normal for a new vaper to cough a bit (a lot), have some irritation when first vaping
    vaping is not like smoking....but more than likely yes it was probably the vg/pg ratio for new vapers I always suggest starting at 50/50 and then going from there to find out which they prefer or if they happen to have an allergy to pg (or rare to vg)
    another thing to keep in mind is the nic level, too high of a level can cause throat irritation and usually well set off a chain reaction with my asthma
    when i first started vaping i could not inhale the vape due to my asthma, vaping unlike smoking you do not need to actually inhale to get the nicotine, you can hold the vape in your mouth and then exhale and it'll be absorbed
    I'd suggest trying that for awhile, then doing light inhales to test the waters

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sílvio Ferraz

Sílvio Ferraz New Member

Nov 5, 2018
    As a matter of fact, i start to think it´s the VG that is causing my asthma. I´m using a 70VG30PG ratio and just read that PG is the conductor of asthma nebulizers, so maybe i´ll try a 50/50 ratio and let´s see...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sílvio Ferraz

Sílvio Ferraz New Member

Nov 5, 2018
    I vape since Jully and had that initial deep cough at the beginning. Got better but the asthma is still afecting me. Since the beginning that 70VG30PG is my ratio on 3 mg nic. The nic percentage is low, so i think that´s not it. Have to try that 50/50 ratio indeed, Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hi and welcome,
    If you have the option, try some unflavored e liquid at your preferred nicotine level.
    You may be sensitive to a flavor component or to the sweeteners used in your current juice.
    Which battery device and topper/tank are you using?

Best of luck

cheers
    I

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    As @Izan said, it could be the flavorings. Some can be irritating such as cinommem or limonene, used in lemony or some other fruity juices. Glad you got off the cigarettes and hopefully get this issue worked out. Smoking an asthma is a bad combo, so staying away from tobacco, however you do it that's not irritating is the key. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Asthma and vaping can be tricky. Just about any allergan or "foreign" substance inhaled can trigger an attack.

Keep in mind none of the below videos were made by doctors, but you might find some helpful information:

• Like Like x 2
  10. BrotherBob

BrotherBob ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    PG/VG ratios is a good start. Other considerations to look at off the top of my head:
    sub ohm vs non sub ohm (ohm used with relation to temperature)
    Type of nic, free base vs salt
    Direct Lung vs Mouth to Lung
    IF you have not read:
    Vaping and copd
    Dr. Polosa, Italian vapor and tobacco expert, reviews e-cigs in BMC Medicine | American Council on Science and Health

• Like Like x 1
  11. bacc.vap

bacc.vap Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Virtualville
    Breathing issues could be caused by different things for different people. You just have to do trial and error to figure it out. I personally can't vape high% VG liquid for any length of time or I'll have pretty severe asthma like symptoms, and it takes a while, days to weeks, for the symptoms to go away once changing to PG dominate liquids. Good luck, I know it's terrible to have breathing problems.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Hello and welcome. Moving to higher pg may help. Might try adding a few drops of distilled water to the 70vg juice and see if that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MJCSD

MJCSD Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 7, 2014
    usa
  14. Bradder

Bradder Am I Chip or am I Dale? Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 12, 2011
    North Carolina, USA