My name is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sílvio Ferraz

Nov 5, 2018
Hi, vapers. My name is Sílvio and i´m a Portuguese vaper. I´m here to learn and to help in anything i can. I´m 45, smoker for 16 years, non smoker for 15 and last year started again. Jully 2018 decided to stop and start vapping. I´m loving it but...my asthma symptons got worse. I allready did some research right here in this forum and it probably is due to my VG/PG ratios. I´ll try differently. Just got here and I´m allready learning. Hope you all do well and vape ON!!!

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
keep in mind as well, it is normal for a new vaper to cough a bit (a lot), have some irritation when first vaping
vaping is not like smoking....but more than likely yes it was probably the vg/pg ratio for new vapers I always suggest starting at 50/50 and then going from there to find out which they prefer or if they happen to have an allergy to pg (or rare to vg)
another thing to keep in mind is the nic level, too high of a level can cause throat irritation and usually well set off a chain reaction with my asthma
when i first started vaping i could not inhale the vape due to my asthma, vaping unlike smoking you do not need to actually inhale to get the nicotine, you can hold the vape in your mouth and then exhale and it'll be absorbed
I'd suggest trying that for awhile, then doing light inhales to test the waters

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I vape since Jully and had that initial deep cough at the beginning. Got better but the asthma is still afecting me. Since the beginning that 70VG30PG is my ratio on 3 mg nic. The nic percentage is low, so i think that´s not it. Have to try that 50/50 ratio indeed, Thank you.
Hi and welcome,
If you have the option, try some unflavored e liquid at your preferred nicotine level.
You may be sensitive to a flavor component or to the sweeteners used in your current juice.
Which battery device and topper/tank are you using?

Best of luck

cheers
I

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
As @Izan said, it could be the flavorings. Some can be irritating such as cinommem or limonene, used in lemony or some other fruity juices. Glad you got off the cigarettes and hopefully get this issue worked out. Smoking an asthma is a bad combo, so staying away from tobacco, however you do it that's not irritating is the key. Good luck!

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I vape since Jully and had that initial deep cough at the beginning. Got better but the asthma is still afecting me. Since the beginning that 70VG30PG is my ratio on 3 mg nic. The nic percentage is low, so i think that´s not it. Have to try that 50/50 ratio indeed, Thank you.
Welcome and glad you joined.
PG/VG ratios is a good start. Other considerations to look at off the top of my head:
sub ohm vs non sub ohm (ohm used with relation to temperature)
Type of nic, free base vs salt
Direct Lung vs Mouth to Lung
IF you have not read:
Vaping and copd
Dr. Polosa, Italian vapor and tobacco expert, reviews e-cigs in BMC Medicine | American Council on Science and Health

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
As a matter of fact, i start to think it´s the VG that is causing my asthma. I´m using a 70VG30PG ratio and just read that PG is the conductor of asthma nebulizers, so maybe i´ll try a 50/50 ratio and let´s see...
Breathing issues could be caused by different things for different people. You just have to do trial and error to figure it out. I personally can't vape high% VG liquid for any length of time or I'll have pretty severe asthma like symptoms, and it takes a while, days to weeks, for the symptoms to go away once changing to PG dominate liquids. Good luck, I know it's terrible to have breathing problems.

Bradder

Am I Chip or am I Dale?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Big Welcome.jpg

Sílvio Ferraz

Nov 5, 2018
Hi and welcome,
If you have the option, try some unflavored e liquid at your preferred nicotine level.
You may be sensitive to a flavor component or to the sweeteners used in your current juice.
Which battery device and topper/tank are you using?

Best of luck

cheers
I
Never tried unflavoured ejuice... :). I´ll give it a try. Maybe you are right. I use severall mods and tanks. The one that is my day to day use is the Pulse 80W with the wasp nano RDA running at .37 ohms.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I have asthma too. When I go outside and there's a big change in temperature (30C in summer, -20C in winter) it makes me cough a lot. My lungs can't take it.

With vaping I get the same feeling with VG. I vape high VG juices though... the problem I was having is the VG was too wet. I needed to vape it at a hotter temperature so that it doesn't feel moist and sticky in my lungs.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Welcome. Not a doctor. Did have terrible cough at first, for me the culprit was PG, but it could be anything.

I will say, using an inhaler, the amount of PG you are getting per dose is somewhat insignificant, especially when combined with the medicine, so really just kinda keep an open mind is what I am saying. I have heard some asthmatics say that high VG was not good for them.

Lucky for me I had a vaping doctor so that helped me figure it out. The elimination method works best, I would start with ONE thing (like plain PG, or plain VG no nic even) and yeah, you will desire to know if it's flavors. Etc.

Good luck with it I don't tend to recommend too much of ANY experimentation without the aid of ae doctor, especially if your asthma is the serious type. Etc.

Welcome to ECF

Anna

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I can smoke cigarettes without issue. But tobacco flavored juices cause asthsma issues.

Berry flavors don't cause any issues but anything with lemons or other citrus causes the asthsma thing too.

I'm not allergic to vg or pg, but I found that thicker sauces like 80% vg tend to seem to coat my lungs where thinner stuff at 60 or 70% vg are ok. 50% vg/pg cause me to cough when inhaling unless it's such a light drag I may as well not even vape.

Yeah, it's going to be a process to figure out what causes it. Heck it may be the metal of the coil. Some folks are bothered by certain metals their coil has.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread