Natural MAOI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
BLUCK:oops: I know but I sure can't stand dark, give me milk chocolate. I know won.t work, darn.

Dark chocolate is almost as bad as white chocolate IMO.:grr:

Give me milk chocolate or give me death!!!:sneaky:

I realy don't care for dark chocolate either but some people love it. Did you know that the mars bar is one of the only candy bars from the old days that still makes their chocolate with real butter?? MMMMM.

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
Dark chocolate is almost as bad as white chocolate IMO.:grr:

Give me milk chocolate or give me death!!!:sneaky:

I realy don't care for dark chocolate either but some people love it. Did you know that the mars bar is one of the only candy bars from the old days that still makes their chocolate with real butter?? MMMMM.

Are you sure you don't mean real cocoa butter?

tomoiaga

Mar 30, 2010
Cluj-Napoca
Figured MAOIs are pretty bad. One or two cravings now I can deal with since they are rare, they last 30 minutes or an hour and that's it I'm like new. It only bothers me that I don't really know how long this will last and reading other stories, for some looks good for others looks a little bad.
Anyway, taking MAOIs (natural or pharma) of course will not get me anywhere since I will keep on to them.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
I posted this on the 200 page discussion about nicotine, but since it applies to the search for MAOI's, I thought I'd post it here too.

Regarding the MAOI's: I had a doctor appt yesterday to go over my medications, and I noticed that there was a MAOI on my preferred script list. Since I already have to take an antidepressant, I talked to him about switching to one of the MAOI's. I explained why first (because I was trying to quit smoking and was now using an electronic cigarette)

He reaction was quite strong He said NO, that the MAOI's would be very dangerous for someone like me. Since I have to take a number of prescriptions, and many meds warn against taking with MAOI's, he didn't think it would be wise to take the risk.

So I asked him if there was something else I could switch to, I was getting the nicotine from the ecig, but not some of the "other" things that make you feel good, and I was beginning to notice the void. I told him I liked the Zoloft (anti-depressant) but wondered if something else would be better, or if there was a supplement or herb I could add to my diet.

He suggested adding Wellbutrin (in a low dose) to my medications. He indicated that I would stay on the Zoloft, but add the Wellbutrin to it. He said not only would it aid in quitting, but that it was often referred to in the phyciatric community as "Well-Off" (the combination of Zoloft and Wellbutrin). He also stated that the Wellbutrin would increase the endorphins and other chemicals that make us "feel good".

So I started today. We shall see if it helps in filling the missing pieces, and help to calm my continuous cravings for a "real" cigarette.

DISCLAIMER: all of this is YMMV. I am not a candidate for MAOI's, natural or otherwise. This was something I discussed with my doctor... as should anyone considering taking any kind of medication (including supplements) I do not relish the idea of taking yet ANOTHER medication, but this is intended to be short term for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread