Need advice on buying a cartomizer please !

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiralnebula77

May 7, 2015
Hello, I'm new to the forums and was wanting to ask for some advice on which are the best "cartomizers tanks" I should look into?

I've been 13 months free of analogs / chewing tobacco and in love with my e-cigs! I couldn't be happier from not destroying my health and my teeth!

I used clearomizers (kanger pro and vivi nova) for 10 months, but I hated juice leaking into my mouthpiece and gurgling noise. I had a feeling of juice and a film of oil around my teeth and in my mouth, making it feel like I had a lot of saliva build up. I recently decided to try a cartomizer, because
I saw that they have a cotton like material inside and would possibly prevent juice from leaking.

I tried to get my father to quit smoking analogs also, but he had the same issue and instantly gave up after a few days

Sure enough cartomizers were a life saver for me, because I bought a can of dip and got really upset of having to clean my mouth piece constantly and juice gurgling and getting into my mouth(sometimes tons of it!)

I showed him the cartomizers and explain to him that it wouldn't leak and sure enough he liked them and has been analog free for 2 months :)

So my main question is, would a cartomizer also create a leak free environment like cartidges? Or would it have a tendency to leak like all other tanks?

Would all standard size carts fit in any cartomizer? Or would the tank I buy have to use a specific cart?

I would like to try different cartridges out and find one I like, and not buy a cartomizer and end up not liking the cartridges, making the cartomizer useless.

If I'm using a cartomizer, should I buy single or dual punched hole carts? Should I buy a tool to punch more than two?

Are there dual coil cartomizers or only single coil? Which is better? I have a kanger mega carT(holds 3 ML) dual coil cart that burns up lots of juice but works great with taste and last 2-4 weeks.(Burns my juice up really fast though)

Steel eGo Mega Dual Coil Cartomizer, Flat Tip <-- I use these.

I was thinking of trying this out, since it was cheap and if I didn't like, it wouldn't of been a big waste of money and not feel bad for never using it again

Smok Anodized U-DCT - V2 3.5ml - Cartomizers - Tanks & Atomizers - MyFreedomSmokes

This is a pretty expensive tank from a place where I order my juice from, and read great things about boge carts.

Surric Cartomizer Tanks - Mt Baker Vapor - Electronic Cigarettes

this one looks like a good quality tank for a decent price(I don't like big bulky tanks, Maybe when I upgrade to a itaste box battery I will)

510 U-DCTank Combo - 3ml/Mini

I would like to buy a tank that could use lots of different brand carts, since it would give me a chance to try different ones out.

Appreciate any advice/help I can get. Thanks a lot!

Reactions: David Wolf

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
I prefer Texas Tuff Tank - Texas Tuff Tank at Vape Dudes It's a simple design, and the fill hole on the side makes it very easy to refill. You just have to be VERY careful to not cross thread the screw when putting it back in the fill hole. The screw is metal, the tank is plastic, so very easy to cross thread and then strip it, which renders it useless. It takes a bit of time to learn the correct "feel" to avoid doing that. I've stripped out 3 or 4 over the years, but now I have a very good feel for it, and my current tank is over a year old. But they are cheap, so it's not a big expense if it strips.

Any 510 carto works in the tanks that are 510 specific. However, you need to make sure you use the right length carto. If the tank requires a standard size (the smaller size) don't use an XL carto or you run the risk of it going dry. And of course a standard size carto is too small for a tank designed for XL cartos. I prefer pre-punched Boge cartos (standard size). Since my wife and I both use the same tanks, I typically order 30 cartos at a time- Boge's are the cheapest, so that is why I stick with them. Quality control is lacking in them though- some carto's go bad after just a day, some cartos last a week. I never go longer than a week as the juice starts to have a funky taste after that long.

Carto tanks are great (been using for 3 or 4 years now. But they are not infallible. You must prep the carto properly before use or you get a nasty burnt hit, and the carto is ruined at that point. Carto tanks can be finicky too sometimes. Sometimes the juice doesn't get into the carto properly causing a dry hit. A couple sucks on the carto (without turning on the PV) will usually rectify that. But sometimes that causes too much juice to get into the carto, which results in you receiving a mouthful of juice when you take a hit. So the system is not perfect, but over time you learn the little tricks to using it.

Dual vs single coil carto- Yes there are both. Stick to single when using a carto tank. The dual coil cartos have one coil higher up. The filler material up there is the first part to go dry. So very common for the upper coil to burn the filler, which results in a nasty burnt taste. And once that happens, you'll never get rid of that taste and will have to replace the carto.

As I mentioned, I prefer the pre-punched cartos. But I also have a tool for punching my own when I can't find pre-punched ones in stock. Here's the tool: Smoktech DCT Cartomizer Punch

As far as 1 or two holes. I prefer one hole, but only when they are a "larger" size hole (1.7mm hole). If the hole is smaller (and most are) then I want 2 holes. If I'm punching my own, the tool I usually do 2 holes.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So my main question is, would a cartomizer also create a leak free environment like cartidges? Or would it have a tendency to leak like all other tanks?
Let me first say that any container containing liquid has the "potential" to leak. However, using a higher quality cartotank will be far less likely to leak than the cheaper tanks -- you get what you pay for. Today's pyrex tanks are the higher quality cartotanks on the market. Cartomizers used solo will rarely leak if not overfilled as the polyfill wick will contain the liquid inside the metal tube.

Proper Terminology: Is it a Carto, a Tank, or What?

Would all standard size carts fit in any cartomizer? Or would the tank I buy have to use a specific cart?
Cartomizers come in three lengths: shorty, 35mm (standard), and 45mm (XL). Tanks/cartotanks also come in the same three lengths. Just be sure to match the length of tank to the cartomizer length, or vice versa. For instance, if you like the standard length 35mm cartomizers, chose a 35mm length tank.

tanklengths_zpse33b0de6.jpg

I would like to try different cartridges out and find one I like, and not buy a cartomizer and end up not liking the cartridges, making the cartomizer useless.
You may be confusing the terms cartridges and cartomizers. "Cartridges" are pretty much obsolete today.

You can try different brand cartomizers: Boge, Ikenvape, Kanger, and Smoktech. They vary primarily by the type of polyfill wick that is used. People chose the brand they like after trying each one. Boge and Smoktech are the more popular brands, however I happened to like Ikenvape more for better taste and longer lasting.

If I'm using a cartomizer, should I buy single or dual punched hole carts? Should I buy a tool to punch more than two?
Dual punched holes are best. It doesn't hurt to have a carto punch tool handy in case you have to punch a larger hole or additional holes for a thicker e-liquid.

Are there dual coil cartomizers or only single coil? Which is better?
Smoktech sells both single and dual coil cartomizers. Boge only sells single coils. I believe Ikenvape sells both.

I preferred single coils over dual coils. With dual coils, one coil lies over the other, and should the wick become dry while vaping the top coil can burn the dry wick causing a dry hit or burnt taste.

I would like to buy a tank that could use lots of different brand carts, since it would give me a chance to try different ones out.
You can use any brand cartomizer in any tank, as long as their lengths match up.

These links may help you out:

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide - there are various ways to setup a cartotank, and this is the method I used.

IBTanked Pyrex Cartotanks - these were my favorite cartotanks. They are quite popular here on ECF, are inexpensive, and very high quality for the money value.

List of Vendors Selling Pre-Punched Cartos - may be a little out of date, but this gives you a lest of vendors to choose from.

Last edited:

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
OK
Now which carto gives the best flavor?
I am trying to ween my wife off of those evod and mini protank clearos.
I bought a nice set up from IBTanked for her and got 3 of whatever standard cartomizers they had in stock 2 weeks ago.
I primed it real good, and set it up proper. Cleaned the hell out of it too.
The flavor was so muted as compared to the evod. Air draw is pretty stiff also. What gives?
She has to have something simple to use and care for, so I thought this was a smart choice.
I'm a different beast..but I've got to tend to her vape.

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
Stiff draw is normal for a carto. I actually prefer the stiff draw, which is why I can't use any of the clearos. The clearos are all just too airy of a draw for me.

As for muted flavor- man, don't know what to tell you there. I find the carto tanks to have more flavor than clearos.

For ease of use, nothing beats the Texas Tuff Tanks (link in my reply above). My wife is the same as yours- it MUST be simple to use or she won't use it. She's been vaping on Texas Tuff Tanks for 3+ years. They are super easy to set up, super easy to fill.

Reactions: David Wolf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread