Need help getting started after an initial fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr3bud

Jul 8, 2018
Hi to all. I have been smoking a pack of Parliaments each day on and off for many years. I decided recently that I would try to switch to vaping as a way to reduce the damage I was doing to myself by smoking, and so went to a local vape shop and asked for their advice about how to get started. I told them about my smoking habit and let them know that I needed something small enough to fit in my pocket comfortably, as I am a school teacher and travel frequently. I also told them that I wanted a nicotine level akin to my current smoking habit. Finally, I asked for something that would give my throat a break and be smoother and more mild than smoking when I inhale. The shop recommended the combination of a Smok pod device and 30mg mint ejuice with nicotine salts (attachment). After a week I concluded that this combination felt much more harsh and unpleasant than smoking to me, that it had way too much impact on my throat--even making me cough after one inhale!--and I stopped using it, reverting back to smoking. I would like to think that I just got bad advice at the shop, and could get better advice here. If anyone is willing to give advice or make suggestions about a combination of juice and vaporizer that might work for me--although I'm sure this question has been asked however-many times in the past--I would appreciate it!

Attachments

• 20180708_083301.png
    20180708_083301.png
    335.3 KB · Views: 29

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I suspect your device has a fixed power (wattage). If that is a healthy level (over 10 watts) then 30mg is very strong. However, nicotine salts should be smoother.
Parliament cigarettes (various types) are in the same sort of nicotine bands as similar products, the King Size appears to be listed at 0.7mg per cigarette... so not particularly strong.
30mg seems a lot to me, especially with 10 watts of more.

I used 18mg at 7 watts to quit and then 12mg at 10-12 watts for the next two years or so. My smokes were about 1.1mg per cigarette.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I'm not familiar with any SMOK pods, but SMOK usually goes for DL (direct lung, as opposed to MTL or mouth-to-lung) and 30 mg/ml is extremely high for DL. It's even high for MTL. And I think I'd better explain the terms I'm using:

There are two main styles of vaping. Most devices are designed for one or the other. A few devices work with both, but they tend not to do either brilliantly.

DL - direct lung - You inhale directly into your lungs. This style of vaping goes through juice faster, so people tend to use lower nicotine levels. For a one-pack-a-day smoker, you might want to start around 3 - 6 mg/ml and adjust from there.

MTL - mouth-to-lung - This style of vaping is more like smoking a cigarette. You suck vapour into your mouth and then inhale it. The draw is usually tighter, so it's more like smoking. From 1 ppd, you might start at 12 - 18 mg/ml.

It's a bit difficult to recommend a nicotine level for a new vaper. The way you smoke and when you smoke and a few other things will all affect how much nicotine you're getting from your cigarettes and how much you'll want in a vape. The recommendations above are just starting points. Use these guidelines to find your sweet spot:
  • If you're regularly desperately craving a smoke, increase your nicotine.
  • If you feel dizzy, nauseated and/or headachy after vaping, lower your nicotine.

Harshness usually means too much nicotine, although it can mean that your power is too high or you're sensitive to one of the ingredients in e-juice - usually PG (which is usually an easy problem to solve - switch to high VG juice).

I don't know much about starter devices, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to comment on the effectiveness of the SMOK pod system and, if it might not be suitable, to suggest something better.

Good luck!

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Hi and welcome.

30 MG is pretty high and most of the pods use high PG juice which can be harsh on the throat. What percentage PG in that ejuice?

For portability and small size. Look at the Aspire Breeze 2. Pretty inexpensive, Decent battery at 1000MAH and has 1 ohm or .6 ohm coils available. You would need to experiment with Nicotine strengths and see which coil works better for you but I think it is definitely better than the SMOK device. I wouldn't use 30 MG nic in this though but would try 18 mg or 12 mg to see how that works and if too much even lower that.

Aspire Breeze 2 AIO Kit - Aspire® Official Site

ABAIO2-2.jpg

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
school teacher and travel frequently.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Pods can be limiting to some smokers but worth the effort to wean folks off smokes.
Since vaping is totally scalable, the choice you have can be overwhelming. The main thing to remember is, part of vaping is all about you the vaper, being in control and the freedom to fix/tailor any aspect of vaping you feel you need to improve upon. Suggest you read the information below to obtain an overview/foundation of vaping:
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
Vaping and Inhaling: Everything You Need To Know
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
Vaping 101: Here's Everything You Need to Know about Vaping
6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...nk-or-what-a-guide-to-juice-attachments.3230/

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Mike P

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2017
I would recommend the breeze 2 as well. I use mine w 30mg salt juice with no problems. I would geuss the harshness you experienced is more likely caused by a particular flavor or pg ratio rather than nic level. I would give 30mg another shot in a different flavor, if it's too strong you can always dilute it. getting enough nicotine is very important when quitting, with the right setup and juice it's easy.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm climbing back on the wagon after an initial fail and frankly.. it hurts.

Getting a device you like is important. The first time, I found MTL helpful (and it's still how I vape) there are plenty of options other than pods unless you LOVE pod mods. The aspire zelos is not a bad setup and fairly inexpensive, you change coils but you can also change wattage, different types of coils, etc.

If you want TOLS of vapor you may want a larger tank with internal batteries and stuff, tons of good makers out there for mods, but you will need a charger, a set of batteries from a reputable manufacturer and that type of stuff. My understanding is the breeze has a higher and lower resistance coil, but other than airflow (maybe?) you can't make wattage adjustments. Meaning, you can't turn up or down the intensity of the vape.

You need to match your juice to your device/coil. HIGH nicotine and HIGH vapor output devices well folks usually use a higher VG level and a lower nicotine level.

If you want LOW output of vape, you are more likely to need HIGHER nicotine juice, but lower VG (although you can make high VG juices work for sure, I did it for a long time because I am PG sensitive.) PG gives more of a throat hit so it can be HARSHER certainly with the wrong coil and a fixed wattage device.

I hope that helps a little, the longer you stay off the wagon, the more cigarettes will get their hooks into you. Etc.

I wish you well,

Anna

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Since you are a teacher and want to be able to keep it out of view - would you be interested in one of the pod type devices? I smoked marlboros reds with the occasional parliment. The pod devices are just so so for me but they might really work well for you. Blu has a pod on special for $1.00 and the special is almost over with. The blue website is sold out but they have a locator to see if you can find it at a store near you Find A blu E-Cigarette Stockist Near You | blu.

Online this link might have some left -- use code myblu to get it for $1 free shipping
MyBLU Starter Kit - Blu eCigs | Vape Hardware | Breazy.com

Might be an inexpensive way to see if the pod will work for you. It is small and has a replaceable pod cartridge. It only activates when you vape on it and is very compact. About the size of a regular cig lengthwise and fatter. If you like it you can stick with it or try out some of the other more advanced brands of pods.

I would think that based onw hat you smoke that 12 to 15mg of nicotine might work well for you.

• Useful

medleypat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2016
Frankfort Indiana
The system you have should work ok but are you hitting it like a cig? Did you let the juice sit in the pod for a few before you hit it? With capes you need a slower gentler hit and after you fill the pod need to let it soak for a few min. Usually nice salts have very little throat hit

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread