Need Some Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanaspus

Jun 26, 2014
Columbus OH USA
I'm buying a bottom coil clearomizer next week. At first, I was sold on the Aspire nautilus given all the glowing reviews on youtube, etc. But in the past week, it seems I've been reading nothing but Nautilus horror stories on this site. This has me leaning toward an Aerotank, which has received some less than stellar reviews but is devoid of all the negative heuristic feedback. So help me decide. Is the Nautilus worth it, or should I give it a pass?

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
Well the nautilus gives a great vape when the coils are new and it's working right but the coils are expensive. Have you ever considered a rebuildable atomizer? I know they aren't for everyone but you can build your own coils and the flavor is exceptional. The kayfun is a great place to start. It gives amazing taste, it's a easy build and gives great vapor. I just had to mention this because once you taste the flavor from a rba, you won't go back.also it does not leak, gurgle, or give dry hits. And the coils you make last a lot longer than the store bought coils. I know rebuilding isn't for everyone but if your willing to try it the kayfun won't disapoint. That said, if I had to choose between the two, I would choose the nautilus because it's well made, has adjustable air flow, and does give a pretty good vape. Hopen this helps.

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
I never had an issue with either one cuz' I never used them. One, they are expensive for being a clearomizer and two, I went to cartotanks to get more flavor. Cartotanks served me well and I still use them but I have since gone into rebuild mode and have revisited some clearo's. Even being rebuilt they still vape like a clearo, maybe some better I'll give it that but if you're not looking to rebuild I might suggest cartotanks. Specifically IBTanked and/or Phiniac cartotanks which are amazing, they can be basic or you can customize them. I use Smoketech single coil two hole punch cartomizers in them but you may like another brand once you try them. There is a learning curve with cartotanks but nothing that can't be learned quickly. Cartomizers have more wicking material in them which is why they give such amazing flavor for a non rebuildable. It's just a suggestion, I hope you find something that works for you.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I prefer the single bottom coil units, like the Kanger PT2. They can be fairly easily rebuilt, and the single coil heads are pretty cheap if you don't want to rebuild (yet).

You don't mention what you're putting it on, but be aware that some of the eGo styles have been reported to be damaged by some of the dual coil toppers.

jandry

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX, USA
I really like my Kangertech Protank 2 using the adjustable airbase from an Aerotank. You can buy the airbase separate and use it in place of the base that comes with the Protank 2. The airbase not only allows you to adjust your draw, but also fixes some of the issues the default base caused. The adjustable airbase is a few bucks, and the Protank 2 uses pyrex glass (works with citrus-ey ejuice) and is completely rebuildable.

Ive heard many mention the Kayfun, so I think im going to pick one up and give it a shot. I dont think you can go wrong either way as both are pretty popular for a reason..

Lurch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2014
Central Florida
I am another one who uses ProTank2 with Aero base and the Aero tanks. Very satisfied with both. I build single coils for the Aero and it works great; actually, I can not tell any difference in flavor or vapor using the single versus the dual coil builds.

I hope you find the one that works best for you! Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else!!!

I prefer the nautilus and haven't really had the coil issues everyone else has experienced. I do love the airflow adjustment. I did try two different aerotanks, but they seem to have a "whistling" issue no matter how I adjusted the airflow, and I found it very bothersome. However, I gave them to my husband and he loves them. My vote would be nautilus.

After the nautilus, I actually really like the smok t-dux (2, 3, and 4.0 versions). While no adjustable airflow, the bottom coil ceramic cup (much akin to the nautilus) seems to give a clean flavor. The plus of the smok ceramic coil is that its much easier to rinse and dryburn. I've also used that same coil in evod glassomizers instead of the evod coils with a lot of success and again - that cleaner flavor.

I cant speak for the Nautilus tanks because I don't own one, but I can tell you my experience with some Kanger tanks. I started with an EVOD 2, bought a T3D (similar to the EVOD but with an exposed clear tank that is a bit larger) Both take the older long stemmed, exposed wick Kanger dual coils. The coils didnt last that long for me. 1-2 days, then the vape diminished and the draw got tight. Did a lot of reading about cleaning the coils, tried that but was unsatisfied with the results. I decided to try rewicking with cotton and I haven't bought a coil since then.

The rewicking is bit fiddly, but with patience and some experimentation I managed to work out a method that works for me.

I then bought a Aerotank Mega. I really liked the tank, but it uses the newest enclosed wick dual coils and I quickly changed those out to a cotton dual coil from the EVOD2's and I have been very pleased with it after the change. (not a fan of the new enclosed coils). My latest adventure has been a EHpro Kayfun Lite plus V2. It is a rebuildable but its not really very daunting to learn to build. There are tons of videos on youtube that shows how to build it. I really like the Kayfun, but to be honest, I cant say that it is hands down better than the aerotank mega. Each has its merits.

Bottom line though is if you decide to go with the Nautilus or the Aerotank, they both have a replaceable coil and your going to have to decide how you want to handle that, be it through just purchasing new coils, or diving into rewicking and/or rebuilding them. Both brands of replaceable coils are not really made for long term use because they are, well, replaceable. I like all my Kangers, the EVOD and T3D for their flat out ease of use, the Aerotank mega for its increased capacity and improved airflow. I think that it boils down to the classic Ford vs Chevy debate. They will both get you where you're going, you just have to decide how you want to get there.

Best of luck

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
I received the Nautilus and the Protank 2 yesterday along with 2 MVP 2.0s, which are each running one of the new tanks. I have a fruity flavor with a drop of menthol in the Protank and a peanut butter/coffee/something or other in the Nautilus. I was sold on the Nautlius, having tried my daughter's, but I did experience the dry hit problem a few hours in. I love that the air flow can be controlled and I will try the new coils when they come out, but the Protank also has adjustable air flow on it so I would have to say that for me the Protank is winning at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread