Need some help guys and gals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRuck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
New Orleans
Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated.

I posted this is another section of the forum last night with no response so I'll post it here too. I know I am asking a lot but I am just trying to vape safe and understand my device.

This is probably going to sound like a dumb question, but what am I looking at on my sigelei 100w led screen? I understand what the battery %, and watts indicator means, and also what the ohm display means but what about the voltage part? How do I know how many amps are being used by my battery and because its 2 batteries do I cut the amps in half?

I just built a .20 ohm build (according to my ohm reader) (.1 according to the sigelei) messing around and AM NOT going to use it but lets just say I did use it and set the wattage on my sigelei to 40.0 . When entering the info in the ohms law calulator (Ohm's law | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators) for resistance I know i would put in 0.20, for wattage I would put 40.0 but what about voltage? would it be the 2.7 I am seeing on my screen? If so, it is showing my battery to be using 13.42 amps. That seems way to low for such a low low build. Is this correct? and would I divide the 13.42 amps in half because I am using TWO VTC4 batteries?

what does the 2.7 volts mean and how would this be different in a mech mod?

Hopefully someone can explain this. I know its a lot hahah

After researching a bunch, I hear people talk about how many volts is left on a battery and when to recharge it. The voltage meter on my led screen says 2.7 which is confusing to me.

Norrin

Aug 29, 2014
Shetland
You have it all basically right. A regulated mod supplies the voltage needed to get whatever wattage you set it for at that given resistance. I don't know about your mod so have no idea if it can go to 2.7V but if it can that's right. All have voltage limits though so if your mod only delivers 3V-6V say then it will be giving 3V and giving you whatever it works out to be 90W for a 0.1ohm build and giving 30A. But that is giving 30A not drawing 30A it all starts to get complicated. You don't have to worry though as you are using good batteries and the mod won't (well shouldn't and don't think there have been issues with yours) fire something dangerous.
2 batteries in parallel halfs the amps, but in series both deliver the full amount although for a regulated mod this doesn't mater because the voltage.....OK getting a bit complicated. You only need to worry about this stuff if you are using a mech as you then have nothing protecting you from making mistakes, but it's still better to ask that to do something wrong.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
The relationship between resistance/watts/amps/voltage is this:

A=voltage/resistance
Watts = voltage^2/resistance

What your device is telling you is that to fire your 0.2 coil at 40 watts, it is using 2.7v, which is pulling 13.42 amps from your batteries. The numbers are a little off, and I'm not sure why that is, but they're in the right ballpark. If you were to increase the wattage, the volts and amps would go up to.

I'm not too familiar with your device so unfortunately I can't help with your other questions.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I don't have a sigelei 100w so keep in mind I'm just playing a guessing game here, ok?

First guess: Your actual resistance is around .19. Your meter may have a tad of internal resistance and is reading it at 2.0. Your sigelei 100w is reading it correctly but maybe the display only shows the tenths.

.19 at 40 watts would need 2.75v applied, but again the display may only show tenths.

Amps would be 14.50 and isn't being shown. If the sigelei uses the two batteries in parallel, then it would be 7.25 amps through each battery, but if it's using them in series, then it would be 14.50 amps through both batteries.

I'm not familiar with the calculator you're using but here's a good one you can bookmark if you want to. It also has some links to some really excellent articles if you want to learn more. Watts - volts - amps - ohms conversion calculator

The beauty of using wattage is you can learn your sweet spot and screw on different attys with different ohm coils and vape away. In actual practice and according to several posts I've read, a lot of folks like to fine tune that some for different devices.

Since you're wrapping your own coils, I'd suggest using enough wraps to provide close to 1/8th inch of wick coverage regardless of ohms to start, then adjust from there. You'll just need to experiment until you find what you like best. As a rule of thumb, high ohm coils seem to work better with thinner wire imo.

Hope this helps a little, and maybe someone that actually owns a sigelei 100w will kick in with some better answers. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread