New Blu

Status
Not open for further replies.

cainne

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2010
Houston
Just can the bashing now. I read reviews and knew what I got before I got it.

I like the analog look for subtle smoking at the office, stores, etc. So far I have to admit I like the feel of an 801 that my roommate has for home use and am getting a Chuck for the same purpose but for going out the Blu seemed like a worthwhile venture. I have to say though that I really wish they would improve their carts. Just a little longer internal cartridge with a little better material and they'd really have an A+ product for easy, lazy, no mess office/club/bar/etc use. I just think it's unfortunate they stopped 85% of the way to making an awesome product.

I have noticed that they tend to work well at first, die down, then spark back up to giving good vapor volume on the first puff or two after sitting for 10-15 minutes which I'm attributing to wicking time.

I tried pulling out the filler from one almost used cart and just pushing it down into/overflowing out of the inner cart in another and adding a couple drops and that seemed to work very well.

Any advice especially re: the atomizers BESIDES "lol get something else lulz!" ?

mendnwngs

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
Central California
I tried a tiny piece of blue foam in the cart instead of the polyfill. A piece just wide enough to hold itself in there, and cut flush to the top of the well.

It seems to be wicking a *lot* better than the poly fill, and a lot more of the juice gets to the atty before the vapor production diminishes, and you have to top off.

Next try, I think I'm going to cut the foam so its a little below the top of the juice cup.. I think with it cut flush, its pressing too far onto the atty bridge, and if I vape too continuously, and heat it up, I catch the slightest hint of plastic in the flavor, but letting it cool for 30-60 seconds, and that goes away.

Hope this helps!

-Jason

Apophis

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
Chulak
Cainne, you're in luck. What you want is available from Tony at Vapor Electronic Cigarette - Smokeless Cigarettes - E-Liquid (E-Juice). The Sidesho is compatible with the Blu and has longer carts. I have both and the Sidesho atty works with the Blu bat. You can't use the Blu atty with the Sidesho carts and vice versa due to length of inner cart and the length of the atty's. He also has blue foam which wicks better than the stock filler. Right now I'm using the 902 atty and cart (also compatible) with blue foam on a Sidesho bat. IMO, impressive. The only drawback is a Sidesho atty/cart combo on a Blu bat won't fit in the Blu PCC (well, it will but the pcc won't close).

Anyway, check them out. And right now ModernVapor has a 25% off sale using the code spring.

Happy Vaping!!!

VaporPhreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
If I recall correctly, and trust me the day I am having I could be VERY wrong, I remember hearing that the Blu can use 510 attys. This being the case you could try the following:

1) Get a 510 Atty and some 510 carts ( or 901 carts if ya like the flat tips on the 801 you tried)

or

2) Get yourself a 510 > 808 adapter and some Cartomizers (or just 510 Cartomizers) either should work

This is kinda the direction I am looking to go. I am about to order the Blu PCC and a couple of thier Batts to give this ago for a while.

cainne

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2010
Houston
Appreciated.

I really just wish there was more of a forum for the sidesho (comparing it to others unbiasedly). I really do like the blu for sneakiness. Office, bars, while driving (I'd rather not have something TOO unusual while driving as I suspect to most cops "oddly shaped non-cigarette with smoke coming out of it" equals "POT!! PULL HIM OVER!!!" and getting pulled over isn't tops on my list). Also when out I don't want a mess and no matter how careful you are some juice on hands is inevitable. Don't want to be at a stripclub running to the bathroom everytime I refill something. Plus a little bottle of liquid looks a bit suspicious to many I think.

So I'm really looking for a blu/volcano/sidesho/etc type of small cig-like pcc-carryable device for "goin' out" just... ...... those carts for them are crap even when working well and when not they're ridiculously inconsistent.

Given that the sidesho case looks like a rescreened volcano I suspect they have the same manufacturer so I'm assuming it's probably a very similar unit; possibly made by the same factory(ies).

Has anyone tried a wider variety of these that could intelligently comment on pro's and cons of the different makes?

Last edited:

g33k

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2010
North of Pittsburgh, PA
Given that the sidesho case looks like a rescreened volcano I suspect they have the same manufacturer so I'm assuming it's probably a very similar unit; possibly made by the same factory(ies).

Has anyone tried a wider variety of these that could intelligently comment on pro's and cons of the different makes?

I have used both and if a smaller PV is what you are going for then just remember this...once you use something a little larger you will probably never want to go back :D I went from a Blu to a Sidesho Hybrid Kit to a TW Tornado, and now to a Black Silver Bullet.

The blu is smaller like a king cig size would be and the side show is slightly larger than a 100 size cig. The outer cart is the same size on both however the inner cart of the sidesho is considerably bigger and holds more juice. The sidesho atty's don't work on blu carts and the blu attys dont work on sidesho carts (trust me I've tried) because on the sidesho atty there is less room for the cart to slide as far down as it would on the blu. Lost yet :) ?

The battery of the sidesho is rated higher than the blu / L88b models though i'm not sure of exact specs. They do produce more vapor and last longer. The sidesho was my every day device for a while till I got to try a 3.7 mod and now I've worked my way up to 6.0v.

As for the PCC (cases) they are similar in looks, however MV's case has a notch cut out of the charging slot to accomodate manual batteries as well as automatic ones. They take around an hour to charge and the blu I believe was about 45 min. Also the MV case you don't have to screw the battery in....simply push it down till it clicks in and charges. The only other drawback on the MV case is it will only hold one cart with an adapter attached and you cannot fit a fully assembled e-cig in the case. The blu you could put a full cig, 5 carts and have 5 attys in the carts. Since the sidesho atty is a bit longer (only about 5 - 10 mm it seems) the case will not close with fully assembled carts. It has 4 cart holders and one cart w/attached atty holder.

If you are trying to decide between blu and MV, I would hands down chose Modern Vapor! Tony's customer support is top notch to say the least! As soon as I got my kit I had a bad tasting atty (from my own destruction that is) and Tony was able to resurrect it for me by telling me to soak it in Coca-Cola to "eat" of the residue of the fibers on the coil. Worked like a charm!!

If you are still leaning towards the blu then might I suggest www.volcanoecigs.com instead as their customer service and devices are top notch compared to blu. They are the exact same thing just labeled differently.

Hope this helps a little bit :D

Last edited:

cainne

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2010
Houston
appreciated g33k

My roommate was looking at MV as well since he has had a problem with 2 blu batteries and was debating either mv or sending it back and getting the batteries replaced. His only hold up was the fact that it seemed Modern Vapor only had a 14 day warranty policy and even then only on starter kits. Tony clarified that wasn't correct and that it was 30 days and covered everything, starter kit, replacement parts, etc.

He ordered the Sidesho tonight.

I'm going to try it when he gets it in a few days and if it works as well as it seems like it will I'll be getting a Blu refund and ordering one for myself ;)

pdssoft

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Michigan, USA
I got the blu starter kit, but after I got it I saw the prices on volcano were better, my question is, If I order volcano batteries and attys, can I use them with my blu chargers and pcc, and are the parts interchangeable?

Volcano and blu are identical products, all parts are interchangable.

A couple of notes: Volcano carts seem to be better (liquid flow) IMO, than blu. It has been said that Volcano attys have a shorter bridge than blu. I have found this to be hit-n-miss with each product.

Regarding the Sidesho, (Great Product BTW) My Sidesho attys WILL NOT work with blu, Volcano or 510 batteries. I have seen posts before about people saying they work with blu... But they don't for me and I have 5 Sidesho attys.

Let me know how yours go...

cainne

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2010
Houston
Well sorry to be remiss posting but I have been loving the Sidesho.
It has the same small size I was looking for when I first got the Blu but the advantages just blow that and volcano away.

-Bigger inner carts (inside, same size outside). I refill from tasty vapor so larger carts means much more vaping time and less "trying to squeeze in just one more drop" resulting in flooding.

-Longer battery life, the whole thing assembled is about an inch longer, with the slightly longer battery and slightly wider atty but phht, ignorable difference.

And I thought volcano's customer service was better than Blu's. And it is. But modern vapors blows it away. There's something to be said for a small company where you actually get responses from the OWNER who not only actually responds to issues but takes feedback and in one case for me updated his site with my suggestion the same hour I mentioned it. That blew me away. There was no "@%## you that's how it is, sorry". Then again the suggestion was rational; no guarantees if yours isn't, lol.

I tried his atty on blu's battery before I returned the Blu, no go. It didn't work with it or volcano's batts. Well, volcano/blu are the same thing so no real shock there.

I have to say though I'm kind of shocked to say this but at this point if Modern Vapor went out of biz and I HAD to get a Blu or Volcano I'd probably go with Blu. I like Volcano's prefills better (though I think tasty vapor obviously blows both away but some people don't want to refill things themselves, especially those tiny blu/volcano carts) and customer service
but I just detest people that lie and try to take advantage of ignorant newbies who, not their fault, don't know better yet.

It's all here in this thread.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modernvapor/91814-future-sideshow-freak-here.html

That Joe Volcano guy just really irritated me when he was making claims he HAD to know were outright lies. :-x
That alone would send me back to dealing with Blu, crappy customer service and all, if Modern Vapor were to be somehow deleted from the Matrix :matrix:
(sorry, I needed an excuse to use that smiley, lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread