Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hey.. Thank you.

That's another thing I've heard about using RBAs. That would be great. I've gotten my girl off cigs and vaping. She would like to try builds for the flavor also. So I'm trying to find out as much as I can before we jump into it.
There are a lot of resources around here that can help educate you. I’m not too knowledgeable about where to find such stuff myself but if someone such as @BrotherBob for example stops by s/he will likely have a pile of links for you to read. RBAs are a bit more complicated than coil cartridges in that they also require some simple tools to do such things as wrap and cut the wire. It’s generally nothing big though. RBA cotton also tends to last less long than the average coil cartridge, but this is partially I think because they are so very cheap to rewick that ones tolerance for dirty wicks tends to go down.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hi
That's another thing that's pushing me to try builds. I hear they last longer that stock coils with cleaning and all that. I've also seen the prebuilt coils so I plan to start with that.
But thanks for the info. I'll try @BrotherBob for the reading.
The coil wire lasts a lot longer with dry burning, but the cotton tends to need to be changed more often. This is actually true of coil cartridges as well but in them the cotton cannot be changed so the whole thing just goes bad.

Dreezy

Jan 18, 2019
The coil wire lasts a lot longer with dry burning, but the cotton tends to need to be changed more often. This is actually true of coil cartridges as well but in them the cotton cannot be changed so the whole thing just goes bad.
Yeah I like that I can just rewick a coil with more cotton when needed. I usually get about 2 maybe 3 weeks out of the cartridges. I hear a built coil lasts longer with the right care.

Reactions: Izan

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yeah I like that I can just rewick a coil with more cotton when needed. I usually get about 2 maybe 3 weeks out of the cartridges. I hear a built coil lasts longer with the right care.
Months or more generally though thicker wire does better than thinner wire. Not all wire types do though. Nickel and titanium wires cannot be dry burned safely so cleaning them is vastly more difficult to the point that one generally replaces them along with the wick. The most rugged wire type I find is kanthal because it can be dry burned more of less with impunity. It cannot be used for TC though. Stainless Steel can be both dry burned and used for TC, but one has to be careful about it.

Reactions: Dreezy

Dreezy

Jan 18, 2019
Welcome and glad you joined.
You Tube is a good source in learning hand eye techniques regarding coil and wicking.
The rebuildable information below may help you:
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners
RBA vape guide: RDA, RTA, Genesis, and More
Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2
Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!
Could ask detail questions here: Wick and Wire
Hi
Thank you. I appreciate the link. I'm trying to learn as much about RBAs before jumping into it.

Reactions: BrotherBob

Dreezy

Jan 18, 2019
Months or more generally though thicker wire does better than thinner wire. Not all wire types do though. Nickel and titanium wires cannot be dry burned safely so cleaning them is vastly more difficult to the point that one generally replaces them along with the wick. The most rugged wire type I find is kanthal because it can be dry burned more of less with impunity. It cannot be used for TC though. Stainless Steel can be both dry burned and used for TC, but one has to be careful about it.
I hear kanthal is the better one to start with. I never really used TC mode, maybe a couple of times with stock coils. But I was thinking kanthal would be my starter.

Thanks

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've gotten as long as 8 months out of a rebuildable coil. Just dry burn and rinse under the faucet with each wick change.

So coils will last a long time, but I found out that the wick will require changing every 2 - 3 days. Became an inconvenience to me as I'm lazy. I've gone back to the drop in coil heads which can last me up to 4 weeks. Just top the tank off with e-liquid as needed and I'm good to go.

I'm the author of this blog: (7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum

• Useful
Reactions: Izan

Dreezy

Jan 18, 2019
but I found out that the wick will require changing every 2 - 3 days.

Is that right? Every 2-3 days?
That does seem like an inconvenience. I think if I were to start 'dripping' it would be when I'm home. I know that having to wet the wicks every couple of minutes will be a hassle too. I'll still use my tanks while on the go.

Thanks for the input.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Is that right? Every 2-3 days?
That does seem like an inconvenience. I think if I were to start 'dripping' it would be when I'm home.
Yes, that was with my RDA (rebuildable drip atomizers). The wick will last longer in a RTA (rebuildable tank atomizer), but they are less forgiving to wicking errors and have a bigger learning curve wicking them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread