New member hello and hardware apocalypse question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSU_Tiger

Sep 20, 2019
New member here, found the forum from a linked story on Reddit. This is exactly the place I've been looking for!

I've been vaping about 6 months now, smok Nord and various 50mg salt nic juices. I haven't done any box mods or anything of the sort yet.

My question for you guys- with the upcoming possible ban of e-cigs/flavors etc etc, what's the best way to preserve my ability to vape into the future? I've been reading a lot about DIY flavors and I'm thinking I'll just jump in with a DIY kit from NivRiver or something to get started?

As for hardware, I'm concerned about what happens when the ban goes into effect and we can't run down to the store and pick up a replacement mod. Is there a specific type of mod that is more durable and maintainable for long-term use? I've started reading about rebuildable coils, is that something I should jump into?

I'm basically looking for advise about how to make this a long-term viable alternative to smoking without worry about the government telling me what and how I can vape.

Houndstooth

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2016
Cape Ann, MA
Meh, the last apocalypse turned out to be nothing though this round is more heated. In any event supplies will be able to be sourced overseas. Juice mixing and coil building would be a wise pursuit and is quite easy once you dive in. For the juice just start with some single flavors, PG, VG, and Nic. Maybe a kit, but I didn't happen to go that route.

Reactions: Baditude

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Hi and welcome ! You've come to the right spot, but need to understand the answers can be simple, but carrying them out no so much, so some general guides and then reading the site will get you there. Oh, and ask lots of questions along the way as sometimes things really aren't clear.

There are two risks you face. The first is the nic e liquid to vape in some palatable format for you. Some folks here simply prepare an unflavored solution of nic and happily vape away. Others prefer flavors. The biggest bottleneck is the nicotine concentrate. Everything else is re-purposed in the way of flavorings and diluting liquids such as PG and VG. Those will always be around as they have multiple uses other than vaping. Nicotine is what you need or the whole exercise is pointless. Generally buying a high nic concentrate, 100 mg being the most common is the way to go. Properly stored in a freezer it will last many years, so most of us have stocked up several liters or more to last us a reasonable period of time, which of course is affected by your age. At age 62, my estimated 30 year supply is kinda optimistic as the chances I'll still be around, let alone mixing at age 92 are slim, but I still covered my bets. However, if you're 40, then it isn't so compulsively crazy to have a large stash. Figure out how much you vape a day, how many mg that is, and calculate out how long a liter of nicotine diluted to your preferred strength will last.

Hardware. Anything dependent on factory items such as drop in factory coils risk becoming unavailable. Anything with built in, non-replaceable batteries will eventually fail due to an inability to hold a charge. All Li batteries only have but so many cycles before that happens, and it's better to have a piece of hardware you can buy a new battery for and replace the old, worn out one. Coil issues can be avoided with tanks that allow you to build the coil and wick it with cotton yourself. It's not hard to do, saves you money, and wire and cotton will always be around. you can either get a tank version or a "dripping" version, which can usually be used with squonk mods, where the liquid is in a plastic bottle inside the mod, you squeeze it and liquid goes up to the coil and cotton.

Now the bad part. Electronics will also fail over time. it happens to every electronic device. If devices are no longer available you're out of luck. There is away around it, using old fashioned "mech" mods, which have no electronics, just a battery, a switch, and a way to attach your tank. HOWEVER, there are no electrical safety circuits in there and YOU are the only one who can keep your self safe. It is very important to educate yourself on what they are, how they work, the underlying electrical knowledge you need, in the form of knowing backwards and forwards Ohm's law, and being meticulous at following safe practices. Once you learn and get used to it it should becomes second nature, but never ever get complaisant.

That's a lot of information to take in. But it gives you an idea of where to go on the forum to read about and ask questions in each category I touched on.

LSU_Tiger

Sep 20, 2019
Juice mixing and coil building would be a wise pursuit and is quite easy once you dive in.

Thanks for the pointers. Any preference on which kits or suppliers to start with? I know NicRiver and LiquidBard sell starter kits. Or is there a better way to jump in?

And coils / mods are even more foreign to me. I've only ever used pod systems (Juul and then graduated to a Smok Nord). Where do I get started with mod stuff and rebuildable coils?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Learn DIY e-liquid. First thing you should buy is a large supply of concentrated nic base.
General E-Liquid Discussion

Mechanical mods should last decades; very little to break. Sale of new mechs will probably be prohibited at some point by the FDA, so at least own one or two mechs before that happens. A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod

Learning how to build your own coils for a RBA would make you independent of requiring factory made coils should vape shops close or not being able to order online where there's the possibility that US Customs might seize your stuff.
Information Resources for Your First RBA

Flavor bans will come first, so learning to do DIY should be your first priority in my opinion. This might cause many shops to close, so your favorite vape shop might not be around.

Are you done stocking up?

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
New member here, found the forum from a linked story on Reddit. This is exactly the place I've been looking for!

I've been vaping about 6 months now, Smok Nord and various 50mg salt nic juices. I haven't done any box mods or anything of the sort yet.

My question for you guys- with the upcoming possible ban of e-cigs/flavors etc etc, what's the best way to preserve my ability to vape into the future? I've been reading a lot about DIY flavors and I'm thinking I'll just jump in with a DIY kit from NivRiver or something to get started?

As for hardware, I'm concerned about what happens when the ban goes into effect and we can't run down to the store and pick up a replacement mod. Is there a specific type of mod that is more durable and maintainable for long-term use? I've started reading about rebuildable coils, is that something I should jump into?

I'm basically looking for advise about how to make this a long-term viable alternative to smoking without worry about the government telling me what and how I can vape.
Mixing and rebuilding are easy. What's hard is gaining the confidence to realize it's easy. I can't say what you should do. I'll describe what I did. First, I want enough stuff to certainly last 10 years and 20 years if everything works perfectly. Priority one is nic. A liter of 100 mg nic that usually costs $50 will last me 4 years so 5 liters should last 20, $250. I presume a mod or atomizer should last 2 years of continuous service so 5 of each for 10 years but just in case I'm wrong about shelf life, etc. I doubled the number to 10. Those are the only things that need to be stockpiled. I recal the official stockpile cost less than $650, two months of smoking for me. I own more stuff than the above for everyday use but the above is the official stockpile. Nobody can tell you what hardware you'll prefer. I stockpiled my favorite rda's and single battery temp controled mods. Luckily they are still my favorite setups.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might like to read:
One shots?
"I can't think of a single major environmental, dietary or public health story in my career that has not been driven in some way by junk science. But we are still awash in junk science that affects our health or costs us money, peace of mind and our liberties."
- Steve Milloy
Junk science = garbage policy

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Guys, thanks to everyone for your advice. I'll be digging into the DIY juice scene and picking up some mods to experiment with. Time to learn some stuff!
As everyone has said, nic is probably the most important, as the other things that are added to nic like pg, vg, flavorings are something you should always be able to get. Start with an RDA, it's a rebuildable tank that you basically have to drip in juice right on the coil , plus they hold a little extra these are the easiest rebuildables to learn. From there, if you like that type of tank, you can get those that adapt to a squonking mod, basically instead of manually dripping into the tank, the squonking mod has a little bottle in it and as you depress that soft bottle (theres a cut out in mod that allows to to press this bottle) it sends juice thru the bottom of tank and wets the cotton that's threaded into coil. Then theres rtas, these are like rdas, but can hold a few mls and the juice is fed automatically, these are the trickiest to master, but easiest to use .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread