RDA New RDA Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

politbureau

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Hey fellow drippers! I'm looking for some suggestions for my next rda purchase. I've been through literally dozens, and none has quite yet fit my needs.

My current favourite is an Igo-W6 that I've built with quad vertical coils and wicked with rayon. It's my favourite balance between flavour and great vapour production. I still revert to my Magma v2 or Tobh v2 (modified) when I want to go for max flavour or clouds, and I'd like something that effectively combines all 3, but isn't so time consuming to rebuild as the W6.

For reference, I've owned/own the following: Patriot, Tugboat, Magma, CLT, 454, Igo-W w/ Halo, Plume Veil, Stillare, Helios, Cats, Zenith, Tobh, Nucleus, Omega, Nimbus, and probably a few more I've forgotten. Coil building skills are not an issue - I do surface mount soldering and am pretty adept.

I've heard good things about the CLT v2, Mephisto and Quasar, but don't see too much feedback online.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

politbureau

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I've got a Mephisto and jeezus it's fun. Great air control, huuuuge posts and postholes, delrin tip thingy (blanking out at the moment). Only real downside is it gets a bit leaky (Rip Trippers has a video and he explains it better) But I definitely recommend it
Leaking would be a dealbreaker :( But I do like the look of it - do you know if the top cap is domed, and whether the airflow control sleeve is captured? I admit I prefer the two post design of the Magma more, as I feel that the lack of a centre post promotes better airflow. But the airflow control ring and threaded top cap drive me mental.

I think the Magma excels on flavour due to the nice deep juice well and the location of the air inlets - they're low and below the coils, which promotes juice being 'sucked' into the coil/wick. If the airflow inlets were slotted, the control ring was better captured (to keep it's 'setting'), and the top cap was press fit (and either thicker or had heatsinks) we'd be in business :p

Last edited:

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
Mutation X or Veritas? I don't have a Mutation X but my veritas clone is pretty good. Flavour like the magma and doesn't leak. Bit of a trickier build but not too bad and you said you were fine with that anyway.

Mephisto is ok but not as good for flavour I don't think. Huge post holes and delrin top cap drip tip holder thingy are pluses though. Top cap is domed to an extent:

http://g02.s.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1upX4FVXXXXXsXpXXq6xXFXXXf/200933261/HTB1upX4FVXXXXXsXpXXq6xXFXXXf.jpg

AFC ring is held in by an o-ring and on my clone is not super tight, which I don't mind as it makes it easy to adjust but it could spin a little. I'm surprised you're not a fan of the AFC on the magma, I love it you just screw the top down and boom it's not going anywhere. Any issue I have with the magma is occasional leaks out of the air hole.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Mutation x is my favorite RDA right now. I like it better than my plume veil.

Jeezus! Are you kidding me? I don't know how many times I've posted those same exact words recently.

And 25 bux for an authentic? Unbelieveable in this world of $100+ drippers. I almost feel like I ripped the modder(s) off.

politbureau

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Thanks for the suggestions! Mutation X and Veritas (EHPro clone) ordered! The prices were right - esp for an authentic Mutation.

I like the stacked airholes on the Mutation - I have a theory about how airflow affects flavour and vapour production that has to do with balancing intake below and at the same level as the coil, so I ordered two and am going to experiment by drilling a hole in through the sleeve and deck directly below the coil.

The Veritas is very interesting - I see potential for some great flavour by concentrating everything on the one side there. I can already visualize some nice dual vertical coil builds in there with some braided ribbon :)

On a side note, one of my most successful early mods was drilling additional lower air holes between the orings on a Nucleus, offset from the stock holes by about 15 degrees. By tweaking the lower intake, I could maximize 'suction' to bring juice to the coil, while still getting fresh air to the coil directly for vapour production. In the end the W6 proved to be a better all around performer, but I think that was more due to the air capacity and the fact that the Nucleus' posts somewhat blocked the outlet hole.

Keep the suggestions coming!

politbureau

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm on a wait list for a Dark Horse by Steam Angel. It's got like 32 air options

The Dark Horse RDA - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
That thing is crazy!! But it's obviously designed more for clouds than flavour. Plus the juice well is pretty anemic. The size of that drip tip tho... :facepalm:

politbureau

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Got my Mutation X today and put together two separate builds, one standard micro coil and one vertical. I'm finding the massive airflow almost washes out the flavour, unless its's tuned down to roughly half. I actually get batter vapour and flavour with only 1-3 holes open.

Couple observations:
+ decent build quality
+ adjustable 510
+ deep juice well
- post holes are not offset
- o-rings are too loose (top can actually fall off)
- too much airflow at full open
- 510 does not retract enough

I actually still prefer my Tobh to this (with drilled out airholes), although the juice well is smaller. Builds go faster with the offset holes (less levelling), and the lower airhole location seems to perform better with less cold air mix.

The Veritas is actually quite excellent - I built a double barrel and diamond coil, and they create great flavour and vapour. On par with my Magma (also with drilled air holes), though the latter is still easier to build.

23 RDAs down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread