New Smok prince mesh coils... they all taste burnt immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpyuncleart

Jul 15, 2018
Hello all,

New to the forum, not new to vaping. I recently started using the Smok E - Priv and am enjoying it. Have been happy with the Smok prince coils. Mainly the V12 T10. I saw they had these new mesh and ribbon coils. Gave them a shot. First one gets installed, properly primed (i even let it soak in its juice for an hour before using), took hit at a wattage about 20 below what is recommended (60W) and it tasted like it had been dry fired. Complete burnt taste that we all know and love on the very first hit and way under the wattage it is said to support which is 0.15ohm rated for 60-100W, recommended 80-90W. I hit it at 60.
Lowered the wattage. Same problem. Lowerd it some more, same problem. Took it all apart and looked at the coil. Looked perfect.

Installed a new one. This time though, again properly priming it and letting it soak in juice for even longer, took a hit at the bottom of what is recommenced (80W)... same thing.

Anyone else have this experience with these mesh coils or mesh type coils?
Anyone else have any experience with the Smok mesh coils that might either tell me what I might be doing wrong or some tips?

Thus far I just think they poorly designed or I got a bad batch. I intentionally bought these from my local shop; whom i trust and they are 100% authentic and confirmed this with Smok. They (my shop) were brand new to them and they didn't have a clue why this might be happening. Said I was doing everything right. Went back to the coils that I know are fine but I am curious as to your thoughts.

Thank you!

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
They may be poorly designed or a bad batch. Generally when first breaking it in, it's far better to start well below any "recommended" or "best at" wattage settings as they're usually inflated. I start low, around 20W and go up a few watts each inhale. Throw in some unpowered puffs to assure you're really pulling juice through the cotton, and you should not have any dry hits. After a several minute soak then slowly turning the power up you should be at your preferred wattage in maybe 20 minutes, better than an hour passive soak.

Some folks will also poke a few small holes in the cotton with a pin to help wicking, but I've never resorted to that.

Slavencia

Mar 20, 2018
I am having the same issue. I had issues with the old regular q4 prince coils though not as bad. Wanted the mesh to work better as I like this tank. I do start out at about 30W and work up only to between 40 and 45 W and am not chain vaping as I keep reading that is bad for coils. I am about ready to throw all Smok products out the window!

Colombia

Jul 25, 2018
That is weird, as I mentioned before in another thead I used the Q4, X6, T10 and finally the mesh.

Of all this 4 the one I like most is the mesh coil, very smooth vape and excellent flavour from the beggining. I am going to try the strips coils as a good member suggest are better than the mesh.

I did have a break in issue with the T10...

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
That is weird, as I mentioned before in another thead I used the Q4, X6, T10 and finally the mesh.

Of all this 4 the one I like most is the mesh coil, very smooth vape and excellent flavour from the beggining. I am going to try the strips coils as a good member suggest are better than the mesh.

I did have a break in issue with the T10...

I’m curious about these for sure. There’s no doubt that Smok coils of all a stripes like to get burned very quickly, but some finesse when breaking them in helps a lot.

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Oh, there may be some magical dark arts kind of all to Smok coils and you may be casting the I-ching incorrectly for your needs, and yeah, you do kind of probably break them in like you would a virgin princess.

However, if a coil wants to give me THAT much trouble, I am going to steer clear. If you are hating the coils, it seems like the list of non-smok coils that fit in prince tanks grows ever exponentially.

So I guess if you want to work on your.... finesse as it were, hey, give it all you got. Try as many priming methods as you can come up with, and then go buy some non Smoke coils and I bet you anything you get a better vape. Etc.

Anna

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I won a Smok vape pen and it came with the wrong coils... they were mesh 0.15 instead of 0.3/0.4 as far as I can tell.

I have no idea what power (watts) it is vaping at but the heat and vapor would suggest getting near 90 watts. (I can't do the math... I have no idea on the battery output).

So far, so good.

Maybe your mod is not right? Smok are not famous for great QC but the tanks and coils are usually good in all honesty. It's the mods where I fear things are too vague and unreliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread