Status
Not open for further replies.

dgm76513

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Belton, TX
Hey folks,
First of all, I did a search on this forum and came up empty-handed. Secondly, I'm still a little new to the forums and am not sure if this is the appropriate spot for this post. If not, I apologize for the inconvenience.

This is a study published in May, 2012, of the quality of air in a room with two groups of people. Group one is people smoking regular cigarettes, and group two is people "vaping". The company, Flavourart, joined forces with Abich S.r.l. (a lab) to produce the following results. A group called "Utah Vapers" I believe is who encouraged, funded, or otherwise persuaded Flavoruart to get the ball rolling.

Below, is the link to the study. It is in PDF format, and hosted on the UtahVapers website.

http://www.utahvapers.com/resources/Clearstream-air-lab-results.pdf

I would like to add that I am not affiliated with Utah Vapers. I checked to see if they have a group or category on ECF and have concluded that all related posts relating to Utah Vapers are closed. I don't know why, and I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by posting this. I just thought others would like to read it.

Also, as far as the study goes, I found one flaw. Only one room was used, first with smokers, then with vapers, with a three day break and strong ventilation between sessions. I think two identical rooms in separate buildings would provide more accurate results. Otherwise, it was a good study with a comprehensive set of results.

Thanks!

Ratchet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Yup, glanced at it..... What does it tell us???? vaping is healthier! Nobody ever claimed it was 100% risk free but you know what? I feel better, I smell better, my car doesn't stink, my clothes don't stink, forget all the people that tell me that vaping is oh so dangerous (my brother included), I'll continue vaping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Utah passed a law banning vaping in public places this past year. (added vaping to the clean air act)
    While trying to fight this legislation the problem we ran into was that there were numourous studies of "first hand" vapor, which does of course contain nicotine. But, there were no studies of "second hand" vapor that we could use as rebuttal for what the state was claiming. Clearstream came about as a result of our frustration.
    Understand tho' Clearstream is only a start, there is still a need for more "documented" proof of what is and what is not in e-cig vapor.

afrazier5

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Thanks for posting this. I've been so busy I haven't had time to hit ECF with it. I do agree with TJ that this is a start and will not necessarily solve any of the bans. There will also be an official doctoral report and this will be peer review and published globally. But I encourage everyone to send this to your elected "leaders" in your communities and states. Send it to the media. Be vocal about it. We are sharing as much as we can right now but there will be more studies done in time and we will see the tides turn.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I can spot one other flaw, what percentage pg/vg were they using? How about nicotine levels in the liquids? Surely 36 mg/ml would let off more nicotine in the air than 6 mg/ml.

Do a study and find out.

And don't say you can't afford it, utah vapers found a way.
    The easy way is to find a PhD candidate that needs to publish to finish their degree, and let them do the study for you.

Last edited:

afrazier5

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Guys one thing I want to make sure is clear, the Utah Vapers did not fund this. This was funded entirely by Flavourart. We simply consulted with them on the design of the study. Note that while the study report does not have information about nic levels, juice concentrations, etc, I have suggested to the doctor in charge of the study that this be included into his report. Same for the types of analogs smoked along with quantities.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Guys one thing I want to make sure is clear, the Utah Vapers did not fund this. This was funded entirely by Flavourart. We simply consulted with them on the design of the study. Note that while the study report does not have information about nic levels, juice concentrations, etc, I have suggested to the doctor in charge of the study that this be included into his report. Same for the types of analogs smoked along with quantities.

I was assuming those issues (concentraton of nicotine, type of e-cig, etc..) would be addressed in the final write up. Most reputable peer reviewed journals would not accept it for publication otherwise. As a preliminary study, I think it's very interesting and I look forward to seeing it in publication!

awsum140

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2012
    Sitting down, facing forward.
    Interesting study, but.....With no baseline information regarding cigartette brands and number smoked over the time period, e-cigaretttes used, liquids used, content of the liquids and how many "drags" taken during the time period combined with it being conducted by, what I assume is, and e-cigarette related business it can make it very easy to ridicule and question. On the other hand it is nice to see that, basically, assuming the integrity of the testing agency, the results show that vaping/e-cigarettes produce significantly lower amounts of byproducts. I also wonder what those results would be if the air were analyzed on a busy city street or in the cabin of an aircraft sitting in line on a taxiway at one of our major airports.

afrazier5

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    I can tell you the final doctoral report should contain all the information mentioned. For now however, the smokers smoked 19 or 20 tobacco cigarettes of varied brands. The vapers vaped approximately 1.5ml of juice also of varying 'brands' and strengths. The detailed information again should be in the report.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2012
    Sitting down, facing forward.
    I'm glad that a study like this was undertaken and will be watching for the final version of the results with great interest to say the least. Having "ammunition" that refutes too many common assumptions and misconceptions is a very powerful tool that, as vapers, we can all put to good use. Thanks for the original post and the link. I'll be printing a hard copy for convenient mark-up.

dgm76513

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 9, 2012
    Belton, TX
    Thanks for sharing this study- very interesting.

I want to make sure that folks who are looking for this kind of thing will find it, so I'm moving it to the "medical research" forum.

Leaving a redirect on the main page, so the original posters should find it, no problems.

Best,
    SV

Thanks, sam! :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread