New Tank Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhysowen9

Oct 8, 2016
So I'm looking for an upgrade.
Currently I'm using a Kangertech Subtank Mini on prebuilt 0.5ohm coils.

I have a few issues, coil taste and flavour muting being the biggest.

Also, now that I have started making my own eliquid, I'd like to start coil building.

I want a good tank which I can build my own coils for and benefit from good flavour. I don't know how good other brands out there really are and am after your expertise!

Thanks

Reactions: dobroeutro

Mice Elf

Verified Member
Oct 26, 2016
People's Republic of California
One path forward would be to learn about coils with your Subtank Mini. It's the route I took because it was one less variable in the equation.
Once I became proficient at building I learned a few things about that tank and my preferences; I liked the tank at .5ohm, but I loved that tank at 1.4ohm and the watts dialed down to 8.
If I had jumped on a new tank and simultaneously tried to learn to build a decent coil I think I may have given up in disgust.

skiball

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016

Also, now that I have started making my own eliquid, I'd like to start coil building.

I want a good tank which I can build my own coils for and benefit from good flavour. I don't know how good other brands out there really are and am after your expertise!

Thanks
My advice is def get an rta if you want to build your own coils. The serpent mini is a great single coil flavor tank. Another great option is the goblin v3. It has both a single coil and dual coil deck (options are always nice).

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I'm a MTL vapor, so take this as just an idea. Get a KFL monster base from FT for $3.73, a barrel for $1.78, and a flat top bell cap, five for $5.85. The air flow on the base is non adjustable, but it looks huge to me, and there are two of them. Cheap s/u, and you can get replacement parts. Might be worth a try for you. I use these, except I use a KFL lite base for the MTL and it works very well.
$3.73 Replacement Base for Kayfun Monster V3 RTA Atomizer - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$1.78 Replacement Chimney Base / Graffix Tube for Kayfun v3.1 ES / Kayfun Lite - w/ ohm logo at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$5.85 Replacement Acrylic Bell Cap for Kayfun Mini RTA Atomizer (5-Pack) 5-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Mice Elf

Verified Member
Oct 26, 2016
People's Republic of California
Aren't Kanger known for flavour muting?
The reviews are mixed; not really a big surprise considering taste and intensity are subjective.

My point was that learning to build coils on a set-up one is already familiar with eliminates the variable of a different tank. If you buy a WhizBang 3 and begin to build coils, which is the factor contributing to the different taste and performance you perceive: the new coil, the new tank, the new airflow, or the new form factor?
/rhetorical
You won't know.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.

Thanks

Ahh ha , when i switched to the Subtank mini i came to the realization that my DIY mixes were even worse than i had originally thought .

If i am vaping my own DIY stuff i prefer toppers that DO NOT provide realistic flavor .

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina

Thanks

Serpent Mini
Goblin Mini v3

My favorite RTA's... :D

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA

Thanks
A favorite RTA is the Griffin..
174eb76873f06bd1a4ea93fc427f8c3d.jpg
seen here with a clapton build..
Another tank I'm really liking is the Sense RTA-2... it has bigger juice channels than the Griff and same easy to build velocity style deck..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

plandun

Oct 4, 2015
Griffin 25 plus, huge velocity style deck and so easy to wick. A great tank for flavour and clouds. Huge airflow. Got my first griffin 25 and never went back and now the griffin 25 plus is even better than it's predecessor. Got mine for $32.95 canadian off of the canvape website but imagine they can be bought cheaper states side. Good luck with finding your new tank

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Reactions: smacksy

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
Griffin 25 plus, huge velocity style deck and so easy to wick. A great tank for flavour and clouds. Huge airflow. Got my first griffin 25 and never went back and now the griffin 25 plus is even better than it's predecessor. Got mine for $32.95 canadian off of the canvape website but imagine they can be bought cheaper states side. Good luck with finding your new tank

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Yeah I have the Griffin and like it.
bce66e38ed4c61abcd7071d2f590109f.jpg
But I like this Sense
RTA -2 deck a little better (25mm)..note the Huge Juice Channels, bigger airholes under the coils and the big adjustable juice ports...It came with a true 6ml tank, wide open airflow and delrin drip tip..
7632303b9392c211a78fa4c41b69bd33.jpg

This is it on my well used IPV4..
Again notice that wide juice channel slots that's fully adjustable, as good as my Griff is, the RTA-2 is a better performer, least it is for me.. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread