New to DIY in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokengirl

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2010
IL/WI
Confirming I successfully placed an order with NicBase for 48mg nic just now. I still have approx 1 Liter of nic left in my freezer but the other partial bottle seems to have gone bad. Not sure why or how as it was frozen in amber glass bottle since day it was delivered spring 2021 but no matter, now I have even more stash. What a relief, thanks ECF. It was like ticking down to the apocalypse here.

Max Power

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
Confirming I successfully placed an order with NicBase for 48mg nic just now. I still have approx 1 Liter of nic left in my freezer but the other partial bottle seems to have gone bad. Not sure why or how as it was frozen in amber glass bottle since day it was delivered spring 2021 but no matter, now I have even more stash. What a relief, thanks ECF. It was like ticking down to the apocalypse here.
I think it is safer to order nic in a PG base since VG has a shorter shelf life. Not sure what your nic had as a base or why it went bad. VG should have a shelf life of around 3years or so. Maybe check that your freezer isn’t defrosting itself since the freeze/thaw cycle can damage nic as well. Nic should have a shelf life of around 10 years or so. Should have lasted until 2031 or so. Sorry.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    My freezer has a freeze-thaw cycle where it can get as warm as 20F in there. You think that's bad even though it's still below 32F?
    Now I don't know for sure, and this is only my :2c:. I think end-result temps aren't as important as 'temp swings'..

Max Power

ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2009
    My freezer has a freeze-thaw cycle where it can get as warm as 20F in there. You think that's bad even though it's still below 32F?
    What I read from Carolina Xtract, which I can’t find at the moment, was that you need to avoid the 29 to 35 degree range. Whether nic is at 0 or 20, it is still froze. And that shouldn’t damage the nic. What CX said, I think, was that the nic solution going through the freeze thaw cycle would damage the nic. They said it would be better to keep nic at a constant 40 than to go through a bunch of thaw/freeze cycles. Sorry, that is the best that I can remember, I will look more when I get home.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    There was some lengthy discussion about the "claims" Carolina Xtract made in Rossum's Nic Base Storage: Freezer vs. Room Temp Experiment thread.

@Rossum, and others, cleared those up.

Here is one I found...

Morgan_Drury said:
    Carolina Xtract claims that opening and closing the freezer can cause issues due to thawing/refreezing.

Rossum's reply:
    They're wrong. First of all, nic base (no matter whether it's PG, VG or any mixture of the two) doesn't freeze solid at home freezer temperatures; it only thickens up. Second, the temperature change in a bottle of liquid in the freezer resulting from opening and closing the door is negligibly small.

Nic Base Storage: Freezer vs. Room Temp Experiment

There is more discussion about CX's FAQ, and claims, in the thread.

Carolina Xtract also said we shouldn't store nic in a freezer. That has also been shot down. Nearly everyone here, and elsewhere, stores their nic in a freezer, without issue.

This is what the original Carolina Xtract FAQ said:

Should I store Nicotine Products in the freezer?

No, Absolutely not. There are two components in 100MG/ML nicotine, either nicotine and vegetable glycerin, or nicotine and propylene glycol. Although most freezer units keep temperatures around zero degrees Fharenheit some will fluctuate downward by three to five degrees, and upward by two to three degrees. While propylene glycol is not readily affected by this temperature range, both Nicotine and Vegetable Glycerin are.

Damage occurs to 100mg/ml nicotine products when oxides form during near-freeze/thaw cycles. So while the ice inside stays "ice," outside temperatures, thermostat performance and the number of times the freezer door is opened will affect 100MG/ML nicotine in this sensitive temperature range. Typical refrigeration temperatures, or even room temperatures are a much safer storage range than 27-33F because they are well away from freeze/thaw potential.

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    The only reason I am doing this Uncle Junkle is because I like you. I am setting myself up for some serious abuse, please let me know when you have read this so I can delete this message before the mob forms.

I have not found any scientific evidence that freeze/thaw would have any effect on nicotine at all. CX has taken down the web page that described their concern, so I am just assuming that was an old wives tale gone rogue. I apologize.

I actually read up on the chemical properties of nicotine and here are the results of what I was able to find.

Nicotine, PG and VG are all shelf stable. Which basically means they can last a long time at room temperatures. Nicotine and PG have a shelf life of around 10 years. VG has a shelf life of around 3 years.

4 things will shorten the life of nicotine:
    1) oxidation
    2) light
    3) high temperatures of 80F or higher
    4) impurities in the liquid, especially water

That being said, you can store your e-liquid in a freezer, refrigerator, in the basement or under your pillow, as long as it doesn’t get any hotter than 80F it won’t be detrimental. Of course the nic level will naturally decrease over time, but if you keep it away from those 4 things, it will be minimal.

What is more important is that you keep it out of the light, and if you ordered a large amount, split it into smaller bottles with little to no head room in the bottle. I have one of those food saver devices that I use to vacuum seal the bottles, I think that is a good idea if you have one. Only store in glass as PG and nicotine leech stuff out of plastic.

Just as an FYI, here are the freezing points of:
    Nicotine is -80C
    PG is -60C
    VG is +17C

None of them would freeze except VG in any freezer anyone is likely to have.

And unless you have an allergy to PG, always order your nic with a PG base.

sorry for the confusion, hope this help. Cheers.
    Do you have personal experience using 10-year-old PG nic stored at room temperature (under 80 deg.) ?
    Was it still not oxidized?

Reactions: Max Power

Max Power

ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2009
    Do you have personal experience using 10-year-old PG nic stored at room temperature (under 80 deg.) ?
    Was it still not oxidized?
    Ahh, the mob is forming :) . I do not have any experience. Just the info I read on chemical properties of nicotine and PG. with my luck it would go off at 9 years and I would poison myself. Nicotine is actually a pretty stable compound, much to my surprise. It takes quite a bit to damage it. Oxidation and light seem to be the worst things for nicotine, avoid those 2 and I think you are doing well.

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Ahh, the mob is forming :) . I do not have any experience. Just the info I read on chemical properties of nicotine and PG. with my luck it would go off at 9 years and I would poison myself. Nicotine is actually a pretty stable compound, much to my surprise. It takes quite a bit to damage it. Oxidation and light seem to be the worst things for nicotine, avoid those 2 and I think you are doing well.
    You should be OK. My frozen (0 deg) 8.5 yr old PG nic is still fine.
    It has been through a couple of week-long power outages with no ill effects.

Max Power

ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2009
    You should be OK. My frozen (0 deg) 8.5 yr old PG nic is still fine.
    It has been through a couple of week-long power outages with no ill effects.
    Cool, if it is good nic then it should last a good long time. I keep mine in a refrigerator, since that is where I have room. It is one of those mini fridges. It is dark and cool. I have never had that much, so most I have ever gone is 3 or 4 years so far. There is a mistake in my original note, VG freezes at -36C, I was looking at the melting point by mistake. My head still hurts from reading all that. Cheers.

tokengirl

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2010
    IL/WI
    I think it is safer to order nic in a PG base since VG has a shorter shelf life. Not sure what your nic had as a base or why it went bad. VG should have a shelf life of around 3years or so. Maybe check that your freezer isn’t defrosting itself since the freeze/thaw cycle can damage nic as well. Nic should have a shelf life of around 10 years or so. Should have lasted until 2031 or so. Sorry.

Thanks, Max. My stored nic has a PG base. Freezer functioning fine unless defrosting has occurred without sign. Had a power outage last summer but I refugeed my nic (and other food) to a friend's freezer within 2 hours.

I actually think I ruined it, or maybe it's not ruined?? I forgot to "shake well" several times for juice making and now the nic out of the partial bottle is VERY peppery. So peppery I cannot stand to vape it. It's a 1L bottle about half empty now. Nic out of the full/prior untouched bottle is fine. Both bottles are 48mg PG base, amber glass bottles. I did not transfer to small bottles to reduce headroom, another screw up.

I had ordered the nic in a panic buy last year when suddenly my supplier went out of biz (Wizard labs) so this was a new supplier. Maybe the nic isn't up to par or maybe ?? no ideas. I found it odd the peppery aspect, and def unpleasant. I thought it had gone bad. Maybe it's just more nic level then I need/used to since I didn't shake (ugh, so stupid on my part, regret).

I am very glad to know of the long shelf life to PG/VG. I have been keeping my gallon of VG in the freezer but maybe that's a waste of time and space. My freezer isn't very big and I'm running out of space. I feed my dog raw and that takes up space too. Oy!

Thank you everyone.

Reactions: Max Power

Max Power

ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2009
    Thanks, Max. My stored nic has a PG base. Freezer functioning fine unless defrosting has occurred without sign. Had a power outage last summer but I refugeed my nic (and other food) to a friend's freezer within 2 hours.

I actually think I ruined it, or maybe it's not ruined?? I forgot to "shake well" several times for juice making and now the nic out of the partial bottle is VERY peppery. So peppery I cannot stand to vape it. It's a 1L bottle about half empty now. Nic out of the full/prior untouched bottle is fine. Both bottles are 48mg PG base, amber glass bottles. I did not transfer to small bottles to reduce headroom, another screw up.

I had ordered the nic in a panic buy last year when suddenly my supplier went out of biz (Wizard labs) so this was a new supplier. Maybe the nic isn't up to par or maybe ?? no ideas. I found it odd the peppery aspect, and def unpleasant. I thought it had gone bad. Maybe it's just more nic level then I need/used to since I didn't shake (ugh, so stupid on my part, regret).

I am very glad to know of the long shelf life to PG/VG. I have been keeping my gallon of VG in the freezer but maybe that's a waste of time and space. My freezer isn't very big and I'm running out of space. I feed my dog raw and that takes up space too. Oy!

Thank you everyone.
    Hello tokengirl, ignore my previous advice on freeze/thaw cycles degrading nicotine. Last night I did some research by looking at the chemical properties of nicotine and I could not find anything that would support that theory. Just as an fyi nicotine will freeze at -180F, PG will freeze at -76F, and a mixture of the 2 will freeze somewhere between the two depending on mixture. There is nothing magical about 30F to 36F, it just another temperature to nicotine/PG. As long as it stays below 80F it should be fine. It could be the headroom, condensation of water inside the jar or maybe even low quality nicotine. I am sorry I can’t be more help. And sorry for my previous bad advice. So sorry you need to throw away your supplies. Good luck and thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread