New to modding - need advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
So I been thinking... Maybe it's time to start building my own dna based devices. I see there are places out there that sell all inclusive kits, and was thinking of picking one up as well as a soldering station. Any advice, tips, tricks, etc would be appreciated.

My current mod is doing fine, but what I want is a mod I can carry around with me and if it gets a little beat up, so be it. I also want a mod that I can say "Hey, I built this. And I built it with certain specifications to my liking."

As for the kits, the only kit I've seen really that's pretty intuitive was the ABM (Analog Box Mods) kit. I will be hoping to build it with a 4S LiPo in it, so that I could potentially achieve amazing battery life (or fiddle fart with it and drop the big 400W bomb on my unsuspecting girlfriend). Any advice when dealing with them? I have a plan, I'm just waiting for the right time I guess.

As for soldering stations - I have a few older Wellers laying around in the garage somewhere, not even sure they work anymore or if i can find all the parts for them, and maybe an upgrade would be needed. I'm looking at getting a Makko though. That seems to be the brand most people are pointing at. Everyone who I've spoken to said "Get a Makko, you'll be glad you did". I listened to coworkers when I bought my Millermatic welder, and I am surprised to say, they aimed me in the right direction. Any other soldering stations or setups I should be looking at? Maybe even a setup that people overlook for whatever reason?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So I been thinking... Maybe it's time to start building my own DNA based devices. I see there are places out there that sell all inclusive kits, and was thinking of picking one up as well as a soldering station. Any advice, tips, tricks, etc would be appreciated.

My current mod is doing fine, but what I want is a mod I can carry around with me and if it gets a little beat up, so be it. I also want a mod that I can say "Hey, I built this. And I built it with certain specifications to my liking."

As for the kits, the only kit I've seen really that's pretty intuitive was the ABM (Analog Box Mods) kit. I will be hoping to build it with a 4S LiPo in it, so that I could potentially achieve amazing battery life (or fiddle fart with it and drop the big 400W bomb on my unsuspecting girlfriend). Any advice when dealing with them? I have a plan, I'm just waiting for the right time I guess.

As for soldering stations - I have a few older Wellers laying around in the garage somewhere, not even sure they work anymore or if i can find all the parts for them, and maybe an upgrade would be needed. I'm looking at getting a Makko though. That seems to be the brand most people are pointing at. Everyone who I've spoken to said "Get a Makko, you'll be glad you did". I listened to coworkers when I bought my Millermatic welder, and I am surprised to say, they aimed me in the right direction. Any other soldering stations or setups I should be looking at? Maybe even a setup that people overlook for whatever reason?
I might trade you a spare mod for one of those “old Wellers” :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread