Not open for further replies.

JamesDMad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2018
Indiana
Good morning fellow Vapors;

I am new to the site, but not that new to vaping. I have been using mostly sub-ohm tanks as of late and now I have just ordered my first RTA.
I have read a few blogs on Ohms law to familiarize myself as I am aware not doing so can truly relocate you to another dimension. That being said i have ordered some pre-built coils from what I feel are reputable builders.
My question as it relates, would it be in my best interest to purchase a small ohm's reader that i see offered on many sites? or should i wait until I advance to building my own coils?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reactions: Opinionated

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
If you have a regulated mod that will work for you. It has protections built in to guard against unsafe coils, it just won’t fire it. That said an ohm reader can be handy as a build station. Whatever you’re comfortable with, it’s not necessary but if you want one get it.

• Agree
Reactions: bombastinator

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If you have a regulated mod that will work for you. It has protections built in to guard against unsafe coils, it just won’t fire it. That said an ohm reader can be handy as a build station. Whatever you’re comfortable with, it’s not necessary but if you want one get it.
I actually prefer a larger regulated mod over an ohm meter because it provides a handy stand to get the thing closer to my near-sighted eyes

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Your going to want a few items even if your using pre made coils.

I do recommend an ohm reader, I think it's safer to know you've done it right prior to putting it on a mod, regulated or no if you really messed up you could ruin your mod.

You will also want precision screw drivers, a pair of wire cutters or fingernail clippers and ceramic tip tweezers - at the least.

• Agree
Reactions: Zaryk

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Your going to want a few items even if your using pre made coils.

I do recommend an ohm reader, I think it's safer to know you've done it right prior to putting it on a mod, regulated or no if you really messed up you could ruin your mod.

You will also want precision screw drivers, a pair of wire cutters or fingernail clippers and ceramic tip tweezers - at the least.
I do not completely agree. I find ceremic tip tweezers to be unnecessary, though if you have none at all I suppose they would be the preferred buy. Also most attys come with a device that fits whichever screws they have, though separate precision screw drivers are definitely nicer. It becomes a question of nicest vs minimum necessary. If worst comes to worst you can do without tweezers entirely for example. At its base it’s something to cut the wire with, something to cut the cotton with, and something to check your ohms with. After that it’s just handiness.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I do not completely agree. I find ceremic tip tweezers to be unnecessary, though if you have none at all I suppose they would be the preferred buy. Also most attys come with a device that fits whichever screws they have, though separate precision screw drivers are definitely nicer. It becomes a question of nicest vs minimum necessary. If worst comes to worst you can do without tweezers entirely for example. At its base it’s something to cut the wire with, something to cut the cotton with, and something to check your ohms with. After that it’s just handiness.

I know it's "just nicer" but quite frankly I cannot stand those tiny little screwdrivers they give with the atty's..

They are cute, but near worthless to me. A precision screw driver with a longer handle just makes it a million times easier to attach your coil. .

Of course your right, it is just nicer but I'll recommend that just because I'd not recommend someone's first experiences to be more difficult than need be..

The ceramic tweezers are just for arranging the coils so it heats evenly, that is also a nice thing, since your firing it while doing that, and it avoids risking shorting it out if you happen to fire at the wrong time accidentally .

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I know it's "just nicer" but quite frankly I cannot stand those tiny little screwdrivers they give with the atty's..

They are cute, but near worthless to me. A precision screw driver with a longer handle just makes it a million times easier to attach your coil. .

Of course your right, it is just nicer but I'll recommend that just because I'd not recommend someone's first experiences to be more difficult than need be..

The ceramic tweezers are just for arranging the coils so it heats evenly, that is also a nice thing, since your firing it while doing that, and it avoids risking shorting it out.
A fair point

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Just something else to think about is curved tweezers, be it metal or ceramic. I prefer ceramic so I can strum and squeeze while firing. The curved tweezers I just find easier to stuff the cotton/rayon or whatever wicking material you use into your juice holes. I’ve tried both and the curved are more helpful without sacrificing any pro’s straight tweezers provide. Good luck and have patience, getting the wicking right can be difficult with some rta’s and takes some practice.

• Useful
Reactions: Baditude

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Just something else to think about is curved tweezers, be it metal or ceramic. I prefer ceramic so I can strum and squeeze while firing. The curved tweezers I just find easier to stuff the cotton/rayon or whatever wicking material you use into your juice holes. I’ve tried both and the curved are more helpful without sacrificing any pro’s straight tweezers provide. Good luck and have patience, getting the wicking right can be difficult with some rta’s and takes some practice.
My favorite tweezers are some old dissecting tweezers of my dad’s. They’ve got teeth on the end which is great for grabbing the cotton and scraping between the wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread