New vaper, former smoker of 17 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddles

Jan 19, 2018
Hi guys,

Randomly came across this forum and it's a pleasure to be with you all. I am two weeks into vaping and I have to say that as a former smoker of 17 years, I haven't felt better. My life has been transformed and the health benefits so far have been nothing short of amazing.

I'd like some general advice on next mod and strength I should be aiming for. As a pack a day smoker, my nicotine intake was quite high (8mg cigarettes). I've started with the evic Primo (80W) mod with the Aspire Nautilus 2 tank (2ml) and a 0.7ohm coil. The store owner advised me not to set the wattage beyond 30W. I currently have it set at 23W and am enjoying the throat hit and nicotine intake (6mg nicotine). I'm currently vaping the equivalent of 3ml of juice per day.

I'm very satisfied with all of the above, however I would definitely like to increase the strength of the throat hit, increase the tank capacity and overall power. I'm looking at purchasing a 300W mod but what other specifications in terms of coil and tank should I be aiming for? Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I think I'll stick with the 6mg nicotine and not increase to 9mg at this stage.

Sid

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Hello, and welcome to the forums!

The nautilus tank is a good tank and has a reputation for being one of the best tanks for former smokers looking to switch. I would keep the current setup, since it is a "known good" tank that you're happy with. There's no need to go further, but like many of us, curiosity gets the best of us, and we start exploring.

Being a former smoker of 20 years, I am familiar with what you are going through. I have, however, ran into some concerns, which after research, found it's really a good change. For me, I started experiencing more phlem. This seemed to get worse, and I did some research thinking that it might be because of the vaping, but it ended up not being the vaping at all, but my body "clearing" the tar and buildup in my lungs... this happened for 6 months. My sister experienced the same thing and thought it was the vape that caused it... so she went back to smoking.... I wish she wouldn't have. My "phlegm issues" are gone, but hers still remain. I just thought I'd forewarn you in case you start experiencing it.

Now, Currently, what I call a very light vaper. 3ml of 6mg juice is a very little amount. I currently vape about 10ml of 6mg juice, and I also consider myself on the light side of vaping. the two ways you can increase throat hit, is to either get a lower ohm, higher cloud setup while using your same juice, or increase the current nicotine level using your current setup.

You mentioned you are looking for a 300w mod. To be honest, most people don't pass 100W using a 6mg juice at 100w is daunting for even the most seasoned vaper. If you're looking at exploring the vaping, I'd recommend looking into a tank that offers rebuilding capability. Wick and wire is extremely cheap, and it allows you to explore a wide range of resistances and vape quantity, so you can explore what you might like. an inexpensive dripper is a great test device, and can help you zero in on exactly what you want. It does, however, require a bit of tinkering and it has a learning curve which I highly recommend you do some research on coil building and dangers associated with rebuilding. Not to scare you away from rebuilding, but If you go that route, go into it informed.

If I'm not mistaken, the Evic Primo is a 200W device. You may not be able to go above a certain wattage due to the higher ohm coils of the nautilus. .7 ohm is actually my sweet spot as well, but I use an atomizer that is rebuildable and holds 3.5ml of juice. To be honest, I didn't know they had a premade coil in that range. most coils nowadays are in the low subohm range (.5 to .2 range). I'd probably recommend a TFV8 baby beast tank for several reasons. 1) it is a known good tank, 2) it's popular, so replacement coils will be easy to find, 3) they offer a .6 ohm coil as well as .2 ohm coils for experimenting, and 4) they have a RBA option allowing you to experiment with building your own coils.

I'd check with your local shop owner as well, since he has seemed to give you good advice so far. Most brick and mortar shops have very knowledgeable people. Just keep in mind their prices will be higher than online prices, so don't think they're "ripping you off". You're paying more for the convenience and knowledge.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Welcome aboard. I smoked regularly for 30+ years and started smoking once in a while when I was 8 or 9. I felt better (both physically and emotionally) within a week after starting to vape and totally quitting smoking. Congrats on your first 2 weeks.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Your nic level is actually on the low side for that setup (if it's working you don't need to raise it.) Do you want something more airy/cloudy but still MTL or to get into a full sub0hm setup. If it's the former, I might suggest an ego mega V2 but not with the coils that come with it, but the Joytech CLR coil. The 1.0 coil gives far more vape and it's great flavor, and the coils can be rewicked and rebuilt unusually easily for a stock coil head.

I don't sub0hm so I don't have much advice there, but if you do want to go that route, there are lots of options, and plenty more for MTL. If you like the Nautlius coils, one step up might be a Kabuki clone (I always recommend a clone before trying the original as it's very expensive and has some quirks, like (an easy) bottom fill) but 3 ml capacity, more adjustable airflow and great flavor. You can get a clone from Fasttech if you decide to try it out. The clones aren't as good as the original but they are good and plenty of folks use them.

As far as mods, if you think you will probably progress to higher wattage and lower resistance, you could try a single or dual battery box mod with external batteries. There are so many of those, well, I'd say do some looking around. If you run a high wattage box mod at low wattages you will just enjoy great battery life and you can use it with a sub0hm tank later if you so desire. Lots of options moving forward.

But mainly congrats on quitting and welcome to ECF, that's fantastic. :)

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    The Primo does have a 80w single 18650 mod @NealBJr . Sid, I would advise trying another tank to find to see if you will need the added wattage and weight of a 300w mod. Look at dual 18650 mods 200w mods. They have more than enough power for most coils. Try a more open air flow dtl (direct to lung) tank and see how you like it. Your 80w Primo can provide enough power to experiment with lower resistance coils.
    Welcome to ECF by the way.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I've started with the evic Primo (80W) mod with the Aspire Nautilus 2 tank (2ml) and a 0.7ohm coil.

I would definitely like to increase the strength of the throat hit, increase the tank capacity and overall power. I'm looking at purchasing a 300W mod but what other specifications in terms of coil and tank should I be aiming for? Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I think I'll stick with the 6mg nicotine and not increase to 9mg at this stage.

Throat hit comes primarily from the nicotine concentration of your e-liquid, and secondarily from the amount of Pg in your e-liquid's Pg/Vg ratio. The easiest solution would be increase your nic level. Or find a juice with a high Pg ratio.

I recommend the original Uwell Crown clearomizer tank. Technically, it is a sub-ohm tank, but you can use the 1.2 ohm coils if you wish not to sub-ohm. (Your Evic Primo 80watt obviously can sub-ohm). I use the 0.5 ohm coils, myself. It has a 4 ml liquid capacity. Easy top fill. It has a ratcheted air control ring to allow either a MTL or DTL draw. Coils last at least 4 weeks. Most versatile tank in the market IMHO.

Most folks who sub-ohm drop their nic level in half, so that might be to your advantage since you seem to want to keep your nic concentration low.

I really don't believe you need to get a more powerful mod, but the choice is yours. I vape no more than 40 watts (usually just 30W) with my JAC Vapour series B DNA75W and Crown tank. However, it makes sense to have a backup mod if you don't already have one.

FYI, I have a Wismic RX200 (200 watt, 3 battery mod) and a Segelei Fuschai 213 Plus (200 watt, 2 battery mod) which I keep only as backups. IMHO, extreme high wattage mods are all marketing hype.

Last edited:

siddles

Jan 19, 2018
    Thank you so much guys for your inputs and words of encouragement. Plenty of research to conduct based on all your advice but I'm getting the general consensus that I don't really need change up my current set up that much. I definitely need to some more research around some key points mentioned before taking the plunge and purchasing an additional device. I would ideally like to have a backup but now thinking there is no real need to look at significant upgrades to mod and tank (@Baditude marketing hype - thanks!). I definitely need to understand how coils and ohms work better and then make an informed decision before buying.

I was advised to look TVF8 baby beast by the store owner and thanks for reinforcing @NealBJr. Ideally, a small mod which is easier to carry around and a larger tank capacity which would keep me going for the course of about 24 hours at current vape levels would be great! In regards to the throat hit (thanks for clarifying @Babitude) I think I'll stick with the 6 mg. There was only a very brief moment last week where I actually felt like a cigarette and the craving dissipated quite quickly. Heading into week three now and there hasn't been even the slightest temptation.

Thanks again for your very prompt responses and advice. What an awesome community! Hopefully over the coming months I can help out any new vapers with the knowledge I acquire to set them on their journey as well.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Randomly came across this forum and it's a pleasure to be with you all. I am two weeks into vaping and I have to say that as a former smoker of 17 years, I haven't felt better. My life has been transformed and the health benefits so far have been nothing short of amazing.
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    I have listed some sites which you might like to read to increase your knowledge:
    http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
    Vaping and Inhaling: Everything You Need To Know
    https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
    http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
    Beginner – Guide To Vaping
    http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
    6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...nk-or-what-a-guide-to-juice-attachments.3230/

• Informative
    Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread