New vaper from Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmkiang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Chicago
Been lurking on here ever since I started vaping 6 weeks ago. Haven't had an analog since!

Current gear:
Kanger EVOD on an eGo 650
Kanger ProTank on an eGo-C 1000

I've started rebuilding my Kanger coils lately. Tried a double 2mm silica with 4 wraps of 32AWG Kanthal and its much better than "stock"! No flavor wicks and no leaking :)

I've tried a couple brands of juice: NicQuid 12mg, Halo 0mg/6mg, Banzai 0mg, Vape Dudes 6mg 50/50.

I've looked around and I'm trying to decide what my next purchase should be.

- get a new VV like a Provari or similar and keep using my Kangers

- get a mech mod and keep using my Kangers

- get a K100 with an iGo-L

I love the convenience of a tank system but it sounds like I'm missing out on some great flavors and cloud plumes with sub-ohm dripping.

What would you guys get??

Thanks!

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
Hello. I've been using an MVP as a backup for my ego-style batteries and loving the VV options.

But just got a K100 with an RDA, and what a difference a dripper makes in regards to flavors, and the layers I was missing out on. The iclears and Protanks have good flavor, most times, but the dripper does bring it out. I am surprised how many hits I actually get out of the tiny Phoenix V4 as well. It actually lasts a little while :)

If you've rebuilt Evod/Protanks heads, then definitely give the IGO-L a go.

Since you're in Chicago, give Goodejuice Electronic Cigarettes Chicago | E Cigarettes | E Cigs | Smokeless Cigarettes | eCigarette Minooka, IL a go, especially if you're into tobaccos. Their USA Lab Made line is as good if not better than HALO's, and their House Brewed Naturally Extracted Tobacco line as fantastic (Patriot, Organic #1, Vita Bella, Wrangler Light).

I would at least give a VV VW mod a try. Best to have one of those before the mechanical, for resistance checking and the like.

Welcome to ECF!

jmkiang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Chicago
Thanks for your response!

I've seen the MVP at my local vape store and I can't get down with the form factor. My eGo-C Twist is VV and its awesome. TBH, I really like the look of the Provari but since I'm new to this, I'm open to other recommendations!

Since the K100 is so cheap, I might just pick it up and take it for a whirl. I really like the idea of a RBT like the Cobra since it gives you the benefits of both (right?).

I haven't tried any tobacco flavors but with all the dessert/coffee flavors out there, I really have no desire to either! Haha

I wish Amazon should vape stuff since I have a ton of gift cards from there. I did see a Zmax V3 on there but the screen on it doesn't look fun/easy to use.

vang0gh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Plainfield, IL, USA
Welcome to the forums.

I have a V3 Zmax and it's easy enough to use. There are some odd translations from Chinese to English in the menu system. But, it's not hard to figure it all out. For the money, it's a decent PV. But, if you are going the regulated PV route, take a close look at the Provaris. They may have a higher price tag, but their quality and dependability can't be beat.

However, if you are into the tinkering and the hobby aspects of vaping, the mechanical route might be a good direction for you to go. Personally, I feel I get a satisfactory vape from my regulated equipment, and I'm not really into tinkering with wicks and coils. However, there are a lot of people that really do enjoy it.

hawkizefan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2010
omaha
Been lurking on here ever since I started vaping 6 weeks ago. Haven't had an analog since!

Current gear:

I've started rebuilding my Kanger coils lately. Tried a double 2mm silica with 4 wraps of 32AWG Kanthal and its much better than "stock"! No flavor wicks and no leaking :)

I've tried a couple brands of juice: NicQuid 12mg, Halo 0mg/6mg, Banzai 0mg, Vape Dudes 6mg 50/50.

I love the convenience of a tank system but it sounds like I'm missing out on some great flavors and cloud plumes with sub-ohm dripping.

Thanks!

Big thumbs up to the Igo-l....
Easy to work and great flavor and vapor.
Using mine on a silver bullet and a Provari.
I use a myriad of other things....cartos, tanks.....etc....but find myself using the Igo more and more. Can't beat the price.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Welcome to the forum!

I'm one of the annoying people that you'll meet around here :) ... Don't worry, most of every body here are super cool and helpfull folks :thumbs:.

Congrats on your switching!

That being said.

Thanks!

Before tinkering with sub-ohm stuff, there are 3 very important rules to follow:

Rule #1 - Know what you are doing!
Rule #2 - Know what you are doing!
Rule #3 - Know what you are doing!

Sub Ohm can become dangerous grounds if you have no battery knowledge. Research a ton before even thinking of buying an RBA for the purpose of sub ohm.... And then: Build yourself a nice >1ohm coil and see how it goes first.

Welcome to the Vape Lair!

jmkiang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Chicago
Thanks guys!

I do have the funds but I always do a lot of research before buying anything! I've already spent $260 in 6 weeks and that's more than my analogs cost. Haha

I've always been a "tinkerer" so I do love that aspect very much. I've been hooked on watching rebuild vids with silica, ekowool, ribbon, ss mesh etc etc etc.

Steam Turbine - I have a great local resource that builds ~0.5ohm coils so hopefully, I won't have any issues when the time comes. I definitely don't know much about batteries yet so I'll add that to my list of topics to research.

I'll do some more digging around.

Are there any other VV/VW units that you guys would recommend as a "next step" after my eGo-Twist?

This is my latest rebuild on my ProTank and its wicking awesome with my 50/50's. Finally getting some decent clouds (vs stock). Also blocked off 1 of 3 air holes for a tighter draw. Pretty happy!
66b47cdcec9c11e29f4822000aeb1254_7.jpg

osiris_ani

Jul 8, 2013
ohio

Current gear:

Thanks!

Well although everyone is different and so are there needs when it comes to vaping if your wanting to play with coils and wicks an RDA would be advisable. a vv mod will allow you to adjust the voltage to the wattage you prefer however i would strongly advise you to stay away from sub ohm vaping that can be dangerous to both you and your mod and i think if your like most folks you will find the most flavor at around 8 watts

Last edited:

Volcanoboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Norway

jmkiang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Chicago
You should put battery knowledge at the top your list. The best wicks and coils in the world isn't worth anything if your house burns down with it.
Hahaha good point. I will do that!
If you're into the tinkerer and building definitely get yourself a mechanical. If you're like me constantly recoiling your genesis with different mesh wicks and coils aiming for the perfect vape then yes, look into a mech and RBA.

Check out this thread (warning: it will end up costing you)
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...5386-high-end-mechanicals-chat-tips-pics.html
Yes I've quickly realized that vaping isn't cheap once you get hooked. Thanks for the link.

petee314

Jun 10, 2013
Downers Grove IL
If your ever out by Sandwich, Quick Nic Juice has a sampler pack deal Quick nic Juice Sample Pack ,perfect for dripping and trying different stuff. I usually get a 30 ml of menthol for my clearos, and a sampler pack for dripping. They also let you sample all their juices if you go there, which GoodEJuice doesn't do anymore, and they honor their coupon code in person, which again GoodEJuice doesn't. If you are coming all the way from Chicago out to the Western Burbs, you ought to at least be able to sample juices, and Quick Nic is great. They are on Ogden, but its so far out of town they call it "34", if you take 88 its not to bad. Your better off making the trip and finding more juices. Rich and Adele are really knowledgeable, nice people. Rich has always helped me out, I don't think I've ever went there and not asked him a bunch of questions about hardware, he really knows his stuff. Last time I was there he showed me his setup because I wasn't real sure about sub-ohm, showed me how he coiled it etc. Plus their juices are fantastic, do a search on here for them, or check out the review PBusardo did.
I've had vapors tongue lately (can't taste anything very well), so trying juices has been a godsend. Rich offered to extra-menthol my menthol, and I have been killing their 555 and Enigma, that's about all I was able to taste, but now that its coming back, the French toast and OurWhyQuatro are next on my list for 30 ml, that's why the sampler pack is great, lots of variety

jmkiang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Chicago
I've been really liking my black k100; I got it in the mail on Saturday and have been rocking a Phoenix V4 RDA on it ever since.

Still using the stock coil, but it kicks some .... :)
Given my track record, I'll probably use the stock coil for a week before I try to start rebuilding. Stock coil is 2.4ohms right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread