Newb question about battery resistances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmontherange

Jun 5, 2022
So the mod I’m looking at has these specs and runs on two 18650 batteries:

Wattage Output Range: 5-200W
Voltage Output Range: 0.7-8.0V
Resistance Range: 0.1-5.0ohm
Temperature Range: 200°-600°F

It also has these protections:

The batteries I’m looking at, purely for convenience, are the Hohm Life 3015mAh batteries with these specs:

3.6v
31.5a pulse and burst?
22.1a cdr
63w (83w max? It’s what’s printed on the battery)
0.16 lowest resistance

Now, the mod kit I’m getting comes with a 0.14 reistance coil. If the battery has a 0.16 resistance limit, does that mean I can’t use the coil that comes in the kit?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
does that mean I can’t use the coil that comes in the kit?
No, it does not mean that. That's almost certainly a regulated mod. That means the "resistance" that the batteries see is entirely dependent on the power the mod is putting into the coil, and it's spread between two batteries. Give yourself some safety margin. Allow 60 watts per battery; so a total of 120 watts for the both of them. Next allow for some losses in the mod itself. Don't set it to more than 100 watts or so.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
No, it does not mean that. That's almost certainly a regulated mod. That means the "resistance" that the batteries see is entirely dependent on the power the mod is putting into the coil, and it's spread between two batteries. Give yourself some safety margin. Allow 60 watts per battery; so a total of 120 watts for the both of them. Next allow for some losses in the mod itself. Don't set it to more than 100 watts or so.
But I wanna use my 0.0000001 ohm coil and vape at 1000 watts! Cloudz forever man. :D

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'd get beefier batteries, high mAh counts may not be what your'e after.
Depends how much power he wants to use, and I don't think he told us that.

Personally, I won't touch "rewrap" brand batteries. Hohm is probably not the worst, but there's some mild exaggeration of the specs there.

ohmontherange

Jun 5, 2022
Which mod are you getting? I'd get beefier batteries, high mAh counts may not be what your'e after. A regulated mod woun't let you hurt yourself and a .02Ω fluxuation shouldn't make a difference.

More than likely I’ll be getting the Thelema Quest 200w with a sub-ohm tank like the Falcon 2. The specs for the mesh coils that come with those tanks recommend like 70-80w so I really will probably never go over that unless I start building my own stuff.

ohmontherange

Jun 5, 2022
Depends how much power he wants to use, and I don't think he told us that.

Personally, I won't touch "rewrap" brand batteries. Hohm is probably not the worst, but there's some mild exaggeration of the specs there.

For the foreseeable future I don’t see myself going over 70-80w. I don’t trust myself to do my own builds yet and all of the tanks that have the pre-built mesh coils usually recommend 80w and lower, based on resistance, as far as I can tell.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    For the foreseeable future I don’t see myself going over 70-80w.

'For the foreseeable future I don't see myself going over 7-8w'.
    A 2.0 ohm coil beats out a 0.2 ohm coil every time.
    There's a whole world of ways to vape out there, so enjoy the ride.

ohmontherange

Jun 5, 2022
    'For the foreseeable future I don't see myself going over 7-8w'.
    A 2.0 ohm coil beats out a 0.2 ohm coil every time.
    There's a whole world of ways to vape out there, so enjoy the ride.

Just realized my typo, I meant 70-80, not 7-8 haha. My only problem with that is I’m really just looking at regulated mod kits and they all only seem to come with sub-ohm tanks and coils. I definitely don’t trust myself to use a mech and I’m nowhere near confident enough to build my own coils and whatnot. Do you know of any plug and play coils at 2.0 ohms? And why do you prefer 2.0 vs 0.2?

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Just realized my typo, I meant 70-80, not 7-8 haha. My only problem with that is I’m really just looking at regulated mod kits and they all only seem to come with sub-ohm tanks and coils. I definitely don’t trust myself to use a mech and I’m nowhere near confident enough to build my own coils and whatnot. Do you know of any plug and play coils at 2.0 ohms? And why do you prefer 2.0 vs 0.2?

Basically there are two distinct different ways to vape.
    #1 Direct lung, which requires a lower resistance coil, and lower nicotine content in the liquid.
    #2 Mouth to lung, which requires a higher resistance coil, and also a higher nicotine content.
    Higher resistance requires less wattage, and higher nicotine requires less usage.

With a 0.2 ohm coil @ 70-80w (DL) you will use 15ml of liquid/day +/- with 3-6mg liquid
    With a 2.0 ohm coil @ 7-8w (MTL) I will use 3-4ml of liquid/day with 12mg liquid
    But here's the kicker ... at the end of the day, we will both have consumed the same amount of nicotine.

None of what I use is even made anymore, so I'm not up to date about what is available.
    I believe Innokin is the best source for MTL these days.

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
    Aug 18, 2018
    On a regulated mod batteries don't have resistance requirements or conditions you need to look at.

The lowest resistance that your mod will fire at is set by the regulator chip and resistance reader in the mod not by your batteries.

The only things that you need to determine is what wattage you are vaping at. Use mooch recommended batters. Don't use rewraps. Molicel and Samsung are good.

If you are vaping at 90 watts max then each battery needs amp rating * 3 = 45. So 15amp minimum per cell.

• Agree
    Reactions: Rossum

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    The batteries I’m looking at, purely for convenience, are the Hohm Life 3015mAh batteries with these specs:

3.6v
    31.5a pulse and burst?
    22.1a cdr
    63w (83w max? It’s what’s printed on the battery)
    0.16 lowest resistance

I agree with the advice you've received so far, but I thought you might like a rundown on what these mean.

3.6 v - This is the cell's nominal voltage, meaning basically the voltage it spends most of its time at. The batteries commonly used for vaping are all 3.6/3.7 v, so that's just standard. For what it's worth, the battery's actual voltage will range from 4.2 v when it's fully charged to about 3.2 or 3.3 v when your mod cuts off because of low charge.

31.5a pulse and burst - Useless rating. Only the CDR matters.

22.1a CDR - Continuous discharge rating - A very important measurement, and the key to safety. Or at least it would be if it were accurate. Rewraps, or batteries made by one manufacturer and sold by another who puts its own wrap on it, are notorious for exaggerating their ratings. Hohm isn't actually too bad as far as rewrappers go, but this battery was closer to 20 a when Mooch last tested this battery a few years ago. Assuming you've got an accurate CDR, the equation you need to know is:

Max wattage (in a regulated mod) = CDR * number of batteries in your mod * 3

For your purposes, that would be: 20 amp CDR * 2 batteries * 3 = 120 watts

That means you should stay under 120 watts with these batteries. You'll get the best performance from your batteries if you give it a healthy margin, so under 90 - 100 watts or so.

63w (83w max? It’s what’s printed on the battery) - Basically just the calculation above - 20 amps times 3 is about 60 watts per battery. 83 watts is probably related to the pulse/burst limit mentioned above and should be ignored.

0.16 lowest resistance - For mechs. With regulated mods, it's the watts that matters, not the coil resistance. It's a different story with a mech. Also, this is exaggerated. Using a 0.16 ohm coil on a mech with this battery would not be a good idea - but, as you noted above, there's a lot more stuff you have to learn before working with a mech and that's not where you're going at the moment.

Reactions: gloopdegurp

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    22.1a CDR - Continuous discharge rating - A very important measurement, and the key to safety. Or at least it would be if it were accurate.
    Right, but chances are it's not, or if it is, it's temperature-limited. I'm not aware of any 3000 mAh 18650s that can truly run more than 20A continuously without getting excessively hot.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread