Newbie for coil building help

Status
Not open for further replies.

richberstler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2013
Harrisburg (area), PA, USA
Pardon the pun, but I've been trying to wrap my head around building coils for Kanger protank 2 and EVOD heads. I have some really basic questions (or maybe there is a good article someone can point out for beginners). We are not trying to get anything low ohm because we are still on beginner type battery / PV setups. As perspective, looking to get around 2 ohms (1.8-2.2)...

So I I think I get the higher the gauge wire, the more resistance I will get. Right?

I think the more coils I wrap, also the more resistance?

i found it confusing I wrapped 32 kanthal 5 times and got 1.4 ohm and one sucker that went from 1.4 to .8 using silica wicks. So I'm wrapping by hand making sure the wraps don't touch. Maybe wrap more and scrunch them all together?

OR... just give this up and just learn to wrap coils on a screwdriver and use the cotton wicks to make it easier? I kinda thought that would be the advanced next step, but maybe it's just easier, especially to get more wraps in a small space. I also just got some RBAs and RDAs so I'm really trying to learn the craft.

PhatRon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Cumming, GA, USA
IMO it is definitely easier to wrap on a 1/16 drill bit or screw driver and then roll a cotton wick and insert it into the coil after you install the coil into the head itself. It makes sure there are no hot spots from not touching the coil enough on the different wraps and that will produce a super nasty taste that you will never forget (I learned that from experience). It is harder to get uniform tightness on the wraps when using silica and to get the spaced out equally which will also cause hot spots. Personally I use 30 gauge 10-wrap microcoils on a 1/16 screw driver and use those in my EVODs and PT2s. It usually comes out around 1.9-2.0 ohms.

But you are correct in assuming the higher the gauge wire, the higher the resistance will be compared to using a lower gauge wire with the same amount of wraps. You are also correct in your statement that the more wraps you do, the higher the resistance will be as well. If you can manage to tame the silica and get a good coil built then more power to you, I just found it was more of a PITA to do that compared to the ease of rolling a cotton wick and inserting it into a perfectly good coil that was already uniformly spaced with the same tension throughout each coil..

My advice to you if you are not already doing it is when using 32 gauge or higher gauge wire that you should run the length of wire over a lighter flame or something equivalent as it will take out the springy-ness that is in the wire and make it easier to wrap. If you do want to do microcoils or try using cotton then youtube is literally your best friend for that. It will show you everything you need to know and then some...

good luck in your builds and I wish you the best! I will try and locate a good video for you here in a minute and if I find one that isn't too long I will post it in this thread.

Cloud Junky

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2014
Texas, USA
Pardon the pun, but I've been trying to wrap my head around building coils for Kanger protank 2 and EVOD heads. I have some really basic questions (or maybe there is a good article someone can point out for beginners). We are not trying to get anything low ohm because we are still on beginner type battery / PV setups. As perspective, looking to get around 2 ohms (1.8-2.2)...

So I I think I get the higher the gauge wire, the more resistance I will get. Right?

I think the more coils I wrap, also the more resistance?

i found it confusing I wrapped 32 kanthal 5 times and got 1.4 ohm and one sucker that went from 1.4 to .8 using silica wicks. So I'm wrapping by hand making sure the wraps don't touch. Maybe wrap more and scrunch them all together?

OR... just give this up and just learn to wrap coils on a screwdriver and use the cotton wicks to make it easier? I kinda thought that would be the advanced next step, but maybe it's just easier, especially to get more wraps in a small space. I also just got some RBAs and RDAs so I'm really trying to learn the craft.

Your best bet is to find a cheap rda and toss the Protanks in the "get people to stop smoking sample box".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread