newbie help required please

Status
Not open for further replies.

grissto

Jun 12, 2022
Hi guys. Long term smoker looking to quit, so thought I'd try vaping, have ordered a smok nord 4 starter kit which is on its way, but what typically is the set up to simulate real cigs please, as in coil type, air vent settings etc, I have bought 4 different types of liquid, all tobacco flavor 18mg and just the 10ml size bottle, but need help to quick start regards coils to use. Wattage settings and air flow to simulate the cigs, I'm not looking to blow huge clouds or anything, just want to replace the cigs, by the looks.... Vapers really pull air in through the lungs, which is not how I smoke, its more from the mouth obviously, so advise on what coil type mesh, double coil rpm rpm 2, wattage to use etc would be amazing please

Cheers

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Welcome to ECF:thumbs:
    May I recommend the Innokin CoolFire Z80 with the Zenith II tank. If you close the airflow right down you will get a fantastic MTL vape(just like the draw of a stinky!) The 0.8 ohm and 1.2 ohm coils are supposed to be very good for MTL.
    CoolFire Z80 Zenith II - Vape Kit | INNOKIN®
    Others will no doubt pop in with suggestions.
    Good Luck with your vaping, I really hope it goes well for you:)

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Welcome to ECF, grissto.

I can only second Daniel's recommendation. Innokin makes the best batteries, tanks and coils. Coolfire Z80 Zenith 2 is my favorite, I love their Zlide tanks also. If you need a pod for out and about, Innokin's Sceptre is very good and never leaks.

Sceptre Pod System Kit

I like their Kroma Z, too.

Kroma-Z Pod System Kit

Good luck. BTW, I'm a low wattage vaper and prefer loose MTL (mouth-to-lung, cigarette style) vaping.

Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Welcome, grissto. I'm another who agrees with the advice you've received so far. When you say:

. Vapers really pull air in through the lungs, which is not how I smoke, its more from the mouth obviously, so advise on what coil type mesh, double coil rpm rpm 2, wattage to use etc would be amazing please

You're mostly right, but there are actually two main styles of vaping. There's DL (Direct Lung), which is inhaling directly into the lungs, and MTL (mouth to lung), which is probably how you smoke - pulling the vapour into the mouth and then inhaling. The catch is that you need different devices to vape DL or MTL. The Smok Nord 4 is more of a DL device, while the Innokin devices recommended above are for MTL.

It's also worth mentioning that DL devices and MTL devices go through juice at different rates, so they're usually used with different nicotine concentrations. With DL you'll generally want around 3 - 6 mg/ml of nicotine. MTL is usually used with 6 - 20 mg/ml juices. You get around the same amount of nicotine either way since the DL devices vaporize more juice per puff. 18 mg/ml juice with the Nord's 0.16 ohm coil is unlikely to be a good experience, but that juice has a much better chance of working well with the Zenith/Zlide's 0.8 or 1.2 ohm coils.

When you get your hardware, you'll notice that recommended wattages are written on the coils (and usually on the boxes). Check the coil before you install it. Then prime the new coil - drip juice on the wick (the white cottony parts you can see through holes in the coil). Install the coil and fill the tank. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Finally, start vaping with your wattage set somewhat below the lowest recommended setting. Vape for a bit, then turn up your wattage and vape some more. Keep doing this until the vape starts getting worse rather than better. Then turn it down to wherever you liked it best. That's the right setting for you when using that particular juice with that type of coil.

Best of luck to you, and feel free to ask any other questions you come up with.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Welcome, grissto. I'm another who agrees with the advice you've received so far. When you say:

You're mostly right, but there are actually two main styles of vaping. There's DL (Direct Lung), which is inhaling directly into the lungs, and MTL (mouth to lung), which is probably how you smoke - pulling the vapour into the mouth and then inhaling. The catch is that you need different devices to vape DL or MTL. The Smok Nord 4 is more of a DL device, while the Innokin devices recommended above are for MTL.

It's also worth mentioning that DL devices and MTL devices go through juice at different rates, so they're usually used with different nicotine concentrations. With DL you'll generally want around 3 - 6 mg/ml of nicotine. MTL is usually used with 6 - 20 mg/ml juices. You get around the same amount of nicotine either way since the DL devices vaporize more juice per puff. 18 mg/ml juice with the Nord's 0.16 ohm coil is unlikely to be a good experience, but that juice has a much better chance of working well with the Zenith/Zlide's 0.8 or 1.2 ohm coils.

When you get your hardware, you'll notice that recommended wattages are written on the coils (and usually on the boxes). Check the coil before you install it. Then prime the new coil - drip juice on the wick (the white cottony parts you can see through holes in the coil). Install the coil and fill the tank. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Finally, start vaping with your wattage set somewhat below the lowest recommended setting. Vape for a bit, then turn up your wattage and vape some more. Keep doing this until the vape starts getting worse rather than better. Then turn it down to wherever you liked it best. That's the right setting for you when using that particular juice with that type of coil.

Beautifully written.

@grissto

If you're new to vaping, Start with the Sceptre. It comes with two MTL coils--
    • 0.65ohm MTL Coil
    • 1.2ohm MTL Coil
    Both are suitable for MTL vaping. And the mod (battery) comes equipped with automatic coil sensor, so you can't go wrong. The mod will read the resistance of your coil and use the recommended wattage. If the recommended wattage is not enough, you can use the boost feature (1 watt higher). That's it. Foolproof.

I suggest that you watch some YouTube videos to familiarize yourself with the device. There's always a learning curve, but the Sceptre is very user friendly. Just make sure you fill your pod and let it sit for a while to let the coil get saturated with e-liquid. And you're off to the races.

ETA: I like 12 mg/ml (or so) eliquids, 10-14 watts with my Innokin devices. If the 18 mg/ml eliquid you have is too strong, you can dilute it slightly with some PG or VG or a blend of both.

Last edited:

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    crigon_04.gif
    to ECF grissto. So glad that you are here and contrats to you and the vaping choice. It is the only thing that ever helped me become smoke-free after many, many, many, many years of smoking.

I am always late to the party but you have gotten some excellent suggestions. The only thing I would like to add is that you need to make sure that you are using a high enough nic to satisfy. It can always be adjusted later after it becomes your new friend. I always thought of my cigarettes as my best friend. heehee

I am not sure about others, but I always found a higher PG juice gave me more of a throat hit which was important to me when I started vaping and why I quickly got into making my own juice. I am not a very exciting vaper but I have been smoke-free for 9 years and that is all that matters.

Good luck to you on your vaping adventure and I look forward to reading your success story. Enjoy and make yourself at home.

grissto

Jun 12, 2022

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    I suspect you would be unhappy with the Nord for a couple reasons, but mainly the device will eventually leak juice down inside and cause problems. Honestly, SMOK doesn't have a very good reputation for quality and a bottom fill type pod such as the Nord just end up leaking. Haven't seen a bottom fill that doesn't leak. But that's just my thoughts. Good luck though and congrats for making the decision to quit cigs.

Reactions: smacuser

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I agree with the Zenith II tank being the best mouth-to-lung tank that uses drop in coils. I’m using one right now.

Though, my Coolfire Z80 sits on my second shelf because it seems to go through batteries a lot faster than my Aegis Solo, even with the f/o function turned off. As long as you can get a battery device that can accommodate the Zenith II, width wise, you have the ability to mix and match.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    @grissto - If you're planning to order the Innokin Sceptre Kit or the Innokin Coolfire Z80 Zenith II Kit....where you're located would be important.

If you don't live in the US I'd recommend ordering from Innokin.com [linked to by @Daniel Forsyth], which means it would ship from China. However, if you are in the US...ordering from InnokinStore.com [linked to by @Katya], they ship from an Innokin distributor located in Texas, which means you'd get your order quicker and for a much lower S/H charge. :)

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Though, my Coolfire Z80 sits on my second shelf because it seems to go through batteries a lot faster than my Aegis Solo, even with the f/o function turned off.

Really? That's interesting. I haven't used my Solos in a while. I usually have several (~3) devices in use at all times and I don't pay much attention to battery life, frankly. I'm a low wattage person so most of them seem to last long. Hmmm.

Time to put a fresh battery in my Solo and take it for a spin.

Thanks for the heads up, Smac. :)

• Love
    Reactions: smacuser
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread