Newbie Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

danalee

Mar 31, 2009
So I've been a smoker for about 2 years now, and I smoke about 2 packs a day. I'm always stressed out, and I don't think I could handle quitting all together at all. I want to try the E-cigarette. Why? Because this morning when I jogged, maybe only 30 SECONDS had passed before I got horribly winded, and my heart beat fast and hurt so much.

I smoke marlboro light 100's, so I'd want an E-cigarette pretty close to my strength and flavor, so I'm guessing I should get the plain tobacco favor with a low amount of nicotine.

For those who work out, can you work out without getting winded if you smoke the e-cig?

And please give me advice on where to go and buy them. If it helps, I live in PA, the US.

Thanks so much!

cosican

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
CHAPEL HILL NC
So I've been a smoker for about 2 years now, and I smoke about 2 packs a day. I'm always stressed out, and I don't think I could handle quitting all together at all. I want to try the E-cigarette. Why? Because this morning when I jogged, maybe only 30 SECONDS had passed before I got horribly winded, and my heart beat fast and hurt so much.

I smoke marlboro light 100's, so I'd want an E-cigarette pretty close to my strength and flavor, so I'm guessing I should get the plain tobacco favor with a low amount of nicotine.

For those who work out, can you work out without getting winded if you smoke the e-cig?

And please give me advice on where to go and buy them. If it helps, I live in PA, the US.

Thanks so much!

Actually a great question

I smoked for 30 yrs and lets just say a carton every few days
I always work out, I could not run, unless I am about to fall over for the lack of air, within seconds
I stopped 6 months back and all I do is vape and vape and vape
I have noticed within a few short weeks, my breathe is back, I can walk forever w/ out getting winded, I even vape as I work out,
I even vape when I am in the tanning bed, for that matter
So, yes, vaping has NOT YET hurt me in my exercise world

as far as the juice, thats something you will need to do some homework and make some purchases, until you find what is right for you
I am using all the time 36mg and I mix alot of my own. so I am not a good reference for you on that, but there are many good people on this site that are

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Vaping? Is that a nickname for using the e-cig?

Yes, it is really an electronic vaporizer, thus "to vape" instead of "to smoke".

I read this forum and looked at older forum threads for two weeks before I purchased my first electronic vaporizer.

My first electronic vaporizer was a blue DSE901 from Phil at http://www.e-smokeytreats.com/. Phil is a little more expensive than some suppliers but he provides a 3 month warranty instead of 14 days, gives you two atomizers instead of just one and provides a phone number where you can call him which most suppliers do not. Like all suppliers, the kit comes with two batteries and a charger. The battery will last about 2-3 hours before needing recharged although some users report getting 4-5 hours but that has not been my experience. His 901 starter kit is $69.95 where some other suppliers will sell them for $49.95 or $59.95 but without the extra’s that Phil provides. I would consider the DSE901 a good first purchase and it is about the size of a regular 100 cigarette.

Many users like the classic penstyle 801 model which has a larger atomizer and cart and a typical battery charge life of about 4-5 hours. The draw is lighter, more like a straw due to having 4 holes in the atomizer and the bigger cart. The 801 is larger and looks more like a big pen instead of regular cigarette. You can also purchase a USB pass-through for both the 901 and 801, which allows you to plug into a usb port on your computer and not have to worry about changing batteries. You can then purchase a portable battery pack for the usb pass-through such as this one from Kennsington (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8994056&st=portable+power+pack&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1218007084076) and make your usb power portable. Make sure the power pack is at least 1000mAh power output.

Most users want an e-vap to provide the “throat hit” that is most like a real cigarette (analog as we call them) as well as long battery life. IMO, the only way to get that is to purchase a manual e-vape that allows you to push a button and heat up the atomizer more before you inhale. The one that does that the best is the screwdriver (SD) from trog at: http://www.cavecom.com/screwdriver/shop/kitsindex.htm.
It is more expensive but it just can’t be beat for long battery life and throat hit. And my experience with trog has been outstanding. I have emailed him many times with questions and he almost always responds any where from 10 minutes to an hour or so.

IMO, the only way you will enjoy vaping is if you buy e-liquid or e-juice to refill your carts instead of use the prefilled cartridges that come with the starter kits. Plus it is way more cost effective. My favorite liquid to date is the riskee and cola flavors from Puresmoker: http://www.puresmoker.com/. My recommendation is to get a little higher nicotine (nic) strength because you can always dilute it with USP glycerin that you can get at a drug store for $5 or $6. I use 24mg nic strength. The highest is 36mg and there is also 18, 11, 6 and 0. I also thought I would like the tobacco flavors the best, but in most cases, IMO, they don’t taste that similar to real tobacco. I do know that some forum members love e-smokey treats tobacco flavor, however.

Hope this helps and good luck.

cosican

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
CHAPEL HILL NC
Yes, it is really an electronic vaporizer, thus "to vape" instead of "to smoke".

I read this forum and looked at older forum threads for two weeks before I purchased my first electronic vaporizer.

My first electronic vaporizer was a blue DSE901 from Phil at http://www.e-smokeytreats.com/. Phil is a little more expensive than some suppliers but he provides a 3 month warranty instead of 14 days, gives you two atomizers instead of just one and provides a phone number where you can call him which most suppliers do not. Like all suppliers, the kit comes with two batteries and a charger. The battery will last about 2-3 hours before needing recharged although some users report getting 4-5 hours but that has not been my experience. His 901 starter kit is $69.95 where some other suppliers will sell them for $49.95 or $59.95 but without the extra’s that Phil provides. I would consider the DSE901 a good first purchase and it is about the size of a regular 100 cigarette.

Many users like the classic penstyle 801 model which has a larger atomizer and cart and a typical battery charge life of about 4-5 hours. The draw is lighter, more like a straw due to having 4 holes in the atomizer and the bigger cart. The 801 is larger and looks more like a big pen instead of regular cigarette. You can also purchase a USB pass-through for both the 901 and 801, which allows you to plug into a usb port on your computer and not have to worry about changing batteries. You can then purchase a portable battery pack for the usb pass-through such as this one from Kennsington (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8994056&st=portable+power+pack&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1218007084076) and make your usb power portable. Make sure the power pack is at least 1000mAh power output.

Most users want an e-vap to provide the “throat hit” that is most like a real cigarette (analog as we call them) as well as long battery life. IMO, the only way to get that is to purchase a manual e-vape that allows you to push a button and heat up the atomizer more before you inhale. The one that does that the best is the screwdriver (SD) from trog at: http://www.cavecom.com/screwdriver/shop/kitsindex.htm.
It is more expensive but it just can’t be beat for long battery life and throat hit. And my experience with trog has been outstanding. I have emailed him many times with questions and he almost always responds any where from 10 minutes to an hour or so.

IMO, the only way you will enjoy vaping is if you buy e-liquid or e-juice to refill your carts instead of use the prefilled cartridges that come with the starter kits. Plus it is way more cost effective. My favorite liquid to date is the riskee and cola flavors from Puresmoker: http://www.puresmoker.com/. My recommendation is to get a little higher nicotine (nic) strength because you can always dilute it with USP glycerin that you can get at a drug store for $5 or $6. I use 24mg nic strength. The highest is 36mg and there is also 18, 11, 6 and 0. I also thought I would like the tobacco flavors the best, but in most cases, IMO, they don’t taste that similar to real tobacco. I do know that some forum members love e-smokey treats tobacco flavor, however.

Hope this helps and good luck.

W. YOUR RESPONSE IS VERY VERY WELL DONE, YOU/WE should publish your comments, all over the place, you explained everything to the max
I use some of the same suppliers as you listed along with a handful of trusted people
MY SD is my favorite, especially in those secret places I vape
(tanning bed)
my 901 and 801 are my everyday toys and my minii pipes and e cigars are for morning, afternoon evening, nightime, bedtime all the time
god, whats wrong with me

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Hi, Danalee, and welcome. :)

I had a 2+ pack a day habit for 30 years . . . started vaping in January, and I think it probably saved my life. :)

I still get winded when working out, but it's getting better. Frankly, the problem isn't the vaping . . . it's the years of abuse that I subjected my body to while a smoker. But, like I said, it's getting better. :) I would expect that your results would be a bit more dramatic since you've only been smoking tobacco for 2 years.

Spend some time on the forum looking through some of the posts, especially the "sticky" posts at the top of the forum. You will find a wealth of information about e-smoking/vaping.

As for where to purchase, you can check out this section for a list of suppliers--and go to their subforums to see what folks are saying. :)

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/supporting-suppliers/

Last edited:

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com

Janty (and a few other suppliers) do a Marlboro flavour, but I can't say how accurate it is (I'm a pipe man these days.) I've tried it though, and it's nicer than I'd imagine modern cigarettes to be (I used to smoke filterless Turkish, Disque Bleu, Gauloises etc. back when cigs still tasted of something more than burning paper.) It's pretty mild compared to Janty's Oriental and TW French Pipe, but it might suit you.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
W. YOUR RESPONSE IS VERY VERY WELL DONE, YOU/WE should publish your comments, all over the place, you explained everything to the max
I use some of the same suppliers as you listed along with a handful of trusted people
MY SD is my favorite, especially in those secret places I vape
(tanning bed)
my 901 and 801 are my everyday toys and my minii pipes and e cigars are for morning, afternoon evening, nightime, bedtime all the time
god, whats wrong with me

Thank you cosican. I've responded to enough newbie questions that I saved this summary for future reference/posting. There is much more that could be added but I thought it was getting a little long. When I first joined I really appreciated members such as SunVaporer, kate and many others who helped me out. :)

Pister

Mar 26, 2009
BFE, Oklahoma, USA
I also have smoked Marlboro light 100's for 15 years, and IMO TrueVapors.com 555 blend is my favorite, it keeps me satisfied because its smooth and has a great flavor. I agree with just trying different flavors and strengths until you find what's right for you. Myself and a co-worker have been ordering different flavors and trying eachothers to see what we like best...its great to have a buddy to do all this stuff with.

cosican

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
CHAPEL HILL NC
Thank you cosican. I've responded to enough newbie questions that I saved this summary for future reference/posting. There is much more that could be added but I thought it was getting a little long. When I first joined I really appreciated members such as SunVaporer, kate and many others who helped me out. :)

well you certainly have this down

I did not know of this site prior to buying my first ecig so I was on my own making a lot of costly mistakes, alot. I bought all the wrong stuff at malls, so you know who I am talking about
I spent over 400 bucks for 2 cigs and all the backup and hated it
then I started doing some real homework and found Sun and ofcourse Kate. They are on other sites as well,
\Now after 6 months of vaping and only a month on this site, I am a wizard and own all the right products, thank god I found it cos I would have ended up going back to "IT" and I could not have done that

Maybe we can go on OPRAH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread